Discrete math: A, but not both B and C

In summary, the student is trying to solve a homework equation, but is not sure if their translation is correct. The only other solution they can think of is that A~(BC) = A(~B+~C).
Joseph1739

Homework Statement

Translate: A, but not both B and C

Homework Equations

AB = A and B
A+B = A or B
~ = not

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm not sure if my translation of this is correct:
A(B XOR C)
The statement is throwing off my translation because usually when I use XOR, it means B or C, but not both.
So is B or C, but not both = not both B and C?
The only other solution I can think of is A~(BC) = A(~B+~C).

Physics news on Phys.org
Or is it: A(~B~C)

One of your options is correct.
A and not both B and C means that no matter what A. So in all of your options, I see A, so this is right.
Not both B and C means that it is possible to have a) neither B nor C, b) C and not B, c) B and not C. ... It really means the only thing it cannot be is B and C.
So my vote goes to:
Joseph1739 said:

"not both B and C" could mean "B but not c" or "C but not B" or "neither B nor C". You have to cover all three of those.

Joseph1739 said:
The statement is throwing off my translation because usually when I use XOR, it means B or C, but not both.
So is B or C, but not both = not both B and C?
I would say that your translation, " B or C, but not both = not both B and C " is correct.

So XOR is, as you say, not the form you require.

Have they taught you how to use truth tables Joseph?
As Ruber says, one of the solutions you have considered in posts 1 and 2 is correct. If you are not confident of which one it is, writing out the truth tables for each of them, and for your natural language understanding of 'A, but not both B and C', will enable you to make sure of which one exactly matches the natural language version.

As there are only three Boolean variables, the truth table has only 8 rows, so does not take long to construct.

Related to Discrete math: A, but not both B and C

1. What is discrete math?

Discrete math is a branch of mathematics that deals with discrete objects and structures, as opposed to continuous ones. It involves topics such as logic, set theory, combinatorics, and graph theory.

2. What does "A, but not both B and C" mean in discrete math?

In discrete math, "A, but not both B and C" means that A is true, but either B or C (or both) must be false. This is known as an exclusive disjunction or an XOR (exclusive OR) statement.

3. Can you give an example of "A, but not both B and C" in real life?

One example could be the statement "I will have either pizza or pasta for dinner, but not both." This means that the person will choose one of the options (pizza or pasta) but not both at the same time.

4. How is "A, but not both B and C" represented in discrete math?

In discrete math, "A, but not both B and C" can be represented using logical symbols, such as the XOR symbol (⊻) or the implication symbol (⇒). It can also be written as "A ⊻ (B ∧ C)" or "A ⇒ (¬B ∧ ¬C)".

5. What is the difference between "A, but not both B and C" and "A, and either B or C" in discrete math?

The main difference is that "A, but not both B and C" only allows for one of the two options (B or C) to be true, while "A, and either B or C" allows for both options to be true. In other words, "A, but not both B and C" is an exclusive disjunction, while "A, and either B or C" is an inclusive disjunction.