Discrete vs continuous eigenvalues

In summary, the probability of finding the particle at a distance larger than a as a \rightarrow \infty is 0.
pellman
What determines whether an operator has discrete or continuous eigenvalues?

Energy and momentum sometimes have discrete eigenvalues, sometimes continuous. Position is always continuous (isnt it?) Spin is always discrete (isn't it?) Why?

Physics news on Phys.org
Momentum always has continuous eigenvalues (unless you use the artificial box normalization, when it always has discrete eigenvalues). The time-independent Schroedinger equation (the eigenvalue problem for the Hamiltonian of the system) gives the eigenvalues of the energy of that particular system (each system has a different Hamiltonian).

It is a general rule that the energy spectrum is discrete for finite motions, i.e. motions in which the particle cannot be found infinitely far away. For such motions, the energy has a continuous spectrum. For motions in period structures, there is the added possibility that the energy can have any continuously varying value withing bands of finite bandwidth width separated by forbidden energy regions of finite gap.

I think I figured it out. It depends on the range of the conjugate variable. If our space is limited to a box, we get discrete momenta. Otherwise, continuous momenta. If our system is periodic in time, we get discrete energy. Angles are necessarily finite/periodic, so angular momentum is discrete.

I would wager that a deeper discussion would reveal that compactness is the key ingredient. That's just a guess.

Dickfore said:
It is a general rule that the energy spectrum is discrete for finite motions, i.e. motions in which the particle cannot be found infinitely far away.

I think this needs to be refined a bit. How about the simple harmonic oscillator? Discrete energy eigenvalues, but the wave function only approaches zero as x goes to infinity, never quite reaching it.

jtbell said:
I think this needs to be refined a bit. How about the simple harmonic oscillator? Discrete energy eigenvalues, but the wave function only approaches zero as x goes to infinity, never quite reaching it.

So, what is the probability for finding the particle at distances larger than a as [itex]a \rightarrow \infty [/itex]?

Related to Discrete vs continuous eigenvalues

1. What is the difference between discrete and continuous eigenvalues?

Discrete eigenvalues refer to a set of distinct, individual values that can be assigned to a system or object. These values are typically represented by integers or whole numbers. On the other hand, continuous eigenvalues refer to a range of values that can be assigned to a system or object. These values are typically represented by real numbers.

2. How are discrete and continuous eigenvalues used in mathematics and physics?

Discrete eigenvalues are commonly used in the study of discrete systems, such as quantum systems, where the energy levels are quantized. Continuous eigenvalues are used in the study of continuous systems, such as classical mechanics, where the energy levels can take on any value within a range.

3. Can a system have both discrete and continuous eigenvalues?

Yes, a system can have both discrete and continuous eigenvalues. This is often the case in quantum mechanics, where a particle's energy levels may have both discrete and continuous components.

4. How do discrete and continuous eigenvalues relate to each other?

Discrete and continuous eigenvalues are two distinct types of eigenvalues, but they are related in the sense that they both describe the possible values that a system or object can have. In some cases, a system may have a combination of both discrete and continuous eigenvalues.

5. How are discrete and continuous eigenvalues calculated or determined?

The calculation of discrete and continuous eigenvalues depends on the specific system or object being studied. In general, discrete eigenvalues can be determined through the use of matrices and linear algebra, while continuous eigenvalues can be determined through the use of differential equations and calculus.