Dissolving Zr and Y in nitric acid

• Thread starter Bakery87
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Acid
In summary, one can not dissolve Zr in nitric acid, hydrochloric, or others. Dissolving metal powder in nitric acid is violent, so one would need to calculate the minimum amount of acid to dissolve X grams Zr and Y grams Y.
Bakery87
Hey all,

I have concentrated nitric acid (~70%), and I want to use it to dissolve Zr/Y metal. I've dissolved Y before, and I know it's as simple as putting metal into acid. The question I have, is there a known dissolution rate I should use to barely dissolve the metals in the acid? I wish to keep my metal molarity as high as possible in the finished solution. I also would like to avoid overheating of my mixture if possible. I know using concentrated acids can be tricky.

Any help would be appreciated.

M

Chemistry news on Phys.org
Dissolution rate is strongly dependent on the surface area of the metals. Finely divided powders dissolve much more rapidly than shavings which dissolve much faster than briquettes or large lumps of metal. There is no way to answer your question without more information.

That would make the time shorter, which I don't care about. I can grind down a sample of my Zr chunks into a powder type form, but I am trying to avoid powder. Dissolving metal powder in nitric acid is violent, so I was hoping to just be able to calculate the minimum amount of acid to dissolve X grams Zr and Y grams Y.

I calculate it should be about a 4 M H+/ 1 M metal total, but what is the best way to add the acid to the metal? Add all of the metal to a beaker and then slowly add the measured amount of acid, or ...?

So, as it turns out, one can not dissolve Zr in nitric acid, hydrochloric, or others. HF seems to be the route, or possibly a mixture of H2SO4/HCl or perchloric acid. There are many conflicting reports on the subject. It appears to be related to how the Zr was prepared in the first place.

If I could find out how to make zirconyl nitrate from the metal, that would also be very helpful, and I plan on making another post on the subject.

olar concentration is the amount of a substance in a given volume of solution, expressed in moles per liter. It is a measure of the concentration or amount of a substance in a solution. In this case, the molar concentration of the Zr and Y metals in the nitric acid solution will depend on the amount of metal present and the volume of the solution. The dissolution rate will also depend on the surface area of the metals and the concentration of the nitric acid. It is important to carefully control the dissolution rate in order to maintain a high metal molarity in the solution and avoid overheating. I would recommend conducting a series of experiments to determine the optimal conditions for dissolving the Zr and Y in the nitric acid, taking into consideration the factors mentioned above. This will ensure a successful dissolution process and a high molar concentration of the metals in the finished solution. Additionally, it is important to handle concentrated acids with caution and follow proper safety protocols to avoid any accidents.

Related to Dissolving Zr and Y in nitric acid

1. How does nitric acid dissolve Zr and Y?

Nitric acid is a strong acid that is capable of oxidizing metals such as Zr and Y. When these metals come into contact with nitric acid, they undergo a chemical reaction that results in the formation of metal ions. These metal ions then dissolve in the nitric acid, allowing the metal to be separated from other impurities.

2. What is the concentration of nitric acid needed to dissolve Zr and Y?

The concentration of nitric acid needed to dissolve Zr and Y depends on several factors, such as the surface area of the metal, the temperature of the solution, and the presence of other substances. Generally, a concentration of 6M to 8M nitric acid is sufficient to dissolve Zr and Y.

3. How long does it take for Zr and Y to dissolve in nitric acid?

The time it takes for Zr and Y to dissolve in nitric acid can vary depending on the factors mentioned above. Generally, it can take anywhere from a few minutes to several hours for the metal to completely dissolve. Agitating the solution or increasing the temperature can help speed up the process.

4. What are the safety precautions when dissolving Zr and Y in nitric acid?

Nitric acid is a corrosive and toxic substance, so it is important to handle it with caution. Wear appropriate protective gear, such as gloves and goggles, when handling the acid. It is also important to work in a well-ventilated area to avoid inhaling any fumes. Always add the acid to water slowly and never the other way around, as it can cause a violent reaction.

5. Can Zr and Y be recovered after being dissolved in nitric acid?

Yes, Zr and Y can be recovered after being dissolved in nitric acid. Once the metal ions have dissolved, the solution can be neutralized with a base, such as sodium hydroxide, to precipitate the metal ions. These precipitates can then be filtered and washed to remove any remaining impurities. The recovered metal can then be dried and further processed for reuse.