Distance between equipotential surfaces

In summary, the problem involves finding the distance between two equipotential surfaces of a non-conducting sphere with a uniform charge density. After calculating the charge and using the equation for potential, the correct distances between the surfaces are found to be 1.998 m and 0.7651 m respectively, resulting in a total distance of 1.23 meters between the surfaces.
Alan I

Homework Statement

A non-conducting sphere (radius 11.3 cm) has uniform charge density ρ = 0.596 μC/m3. Find the distance, in meters, between equipotential surfaces V1 = 16.2 Volts and V2 = 42.3 volts. (Distance is always positive.)

Homework Equations

V=kq/r
ρ=Q/V

The Attempt at a Solution

ρ=0.596*10-6 C/m3 = Q/V ⇒ (0.596*10-6)=Q/(4/3*π*(0.113m)3)
⇒Q=3.60*10-9

for V1
16.2=k(3.60*10-9)/r1
⇒r1≅0.5

for V2
42.3=k(3.60*10-9)/r2
⇒r2≅1.3

⇒r2-r1=0.807m → this answer is wrong. :oldconfused:

Physics news on Phys.org
Volts relative to what?

There are missing units.
How do you get a larger radius for the larger potential? Something got wrong with the multiplication/division there, you got the inverse values. An error that would have been easy to spot with units.

Likes Alan I
mfb said:
Volts relative to what?

There are missing units.
How do you get a larger radius for the larger potential? Something got wrong with the multiplication/division there, you got the inverse values. An error that would have been easy to spot with units.

OK thanks! I don't know how I messed up that algebra so bad. After re-checking my calculations this is what I got:

r1 m = k N*m2/C2 * (3.6*10-9) C / 16.2 N*m/C

r1 = 1.998 m

r2 m = k N*m2/C2 * (3.6*10-9) C / 42.3 N*m/C

r2=0.7651 m → smaller for the higher potential

r1-r2 = 1.23 m

Now it seems to make more sense. Thank you!

Related to Distance between equipotential surfaces

1. What is the definition of distance between equipotential surfaces?

The distance between equipotential surfaces is the perpendicular distance between two surfaces that have the same potential. It is the shortest distance between any two points on these surfaces.

2. How is the distance between equipotential surfaces calculated?

The distance between equipotential surfaces can be calculated using the formula d = V / E, where d is the distance, V is the potential difference or voltage, and E is the strength of the electric field.

3. What is the relationship between the distance between equipotential surfaces and the potential difference?

The distance between equipotential surfaces is directly proportional to the potential difference. This means that as the potential difference increases, the distance between the surfaces also increases.

4. What factors affect the distance between equipotential surfaces?

The distance between equipotential surfaces is affected by the strength of the electric field, the potential difference, and the type of material the surfaces are made of. The distance also varies depending on the shape and size of the conducting bodies.

5. Why is the concept of distance between equipotential surfaces important?

The concept of distance between equipotential surfaces is important in understanding the behavior of electric fields and the distribution of charges. It helps in visualizing and analyzing electric fields and is used in many practical applications, such as in the design of electrical circuits and devices.