Divisibility of Binomial Coefficients

In summary, the conversation discusses the divisibility of binomial coefficients in the binomial expansion of (a+b)^n, particularly when n is a prime number. The original poster asks if there is a pre-existing theorem and proof for this, to which another member responds with a formula for binomial coefficients and mentions that they are divisible by n with only two exceptions, k=0 and k=n. The conversation then discusses the k=n case and clarifies that it is equal to 1. The original poster then asks if this holds true for all prime n's, to which the other member responds that it holds for all n, not just prime numbers.
riemann75024
Hi all,

I am trying to figure out if there is a pre-existing theorem and proof of whether or not each of the binomial coefficients in a binomial expansion of (a +b)^n are divisible by n, particularly in the case where n is a prime number.

Has this already been asked and answered somewhere in the mathematics world? I am hoping this is already out there and if someone could point me to the theorem and its proof. If not, then perhaps it is something that can be easily proven? Any thoughts appreciated, thanks! My last university mathematics class was 20 years ago so needless to say I am kind of rusty :D

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Re: ??Divisibility of Binomial Coefficients??

riemann75024 said:
Hi all,

I am trying to figure out if there is a pre-existing theorem and proof of whether or not each of the binomial coefficients in a binomial expansion of (a +b)^n are divisible by n, particularly in the case where n is a prime number.

Has this already been asked and answered somewhere in the mathematics world? I am hoping this is already out there and if someone could point me to the theorem and its proof. If not, then perhaps it is something that can be easily proven? Any thoughts appreciated, thanks! My last university mathematics class was 20 years ago so needless to say I am kind of rusty :D

Is $\displaystyle \binom {n}{k} = \frac{n\ (n-1)... (n-k+1)}{k!}$ so that $\displaystyle \binom{n}{k}$ is divisible by n with only two exceptions: k=0 and k=n...

Kind regards

$\chi$ $\sigma$

chisigma said:
Is $\displaystyle \binom {n}{k} = \frac{n\ (n-1)... (n-k+1)}{k!}$ so that $\displaystyle \binom{n}{k}$ is divisible by n with only two exceptions: k=0 and k=n...

Kind regards

$\chi$ $\sigma$

I see the k=0 case, but the k=n case is not immediately clear to me. Do you mean that when k=n one of the terms in the numerator is 0, and thus we have something like 0/k!? Sorry if I am missing something painfully obvious or basic…

riemann75024 said:
I see the k=0 case, but the k=n case is not immediately clear to me. Do you mean that when k=n one of the terms in the numerator is 0, and thus we have something like 0/k!? Sorry if I am missing something painfully obvious or basic…

For k=n is $\displaystyle \binom{n}{k}= \frac{n!}{n!}= 1$...

Kind regards

$\chi$ $\sigma$

chisigma said:
For k=n is $\displaystyle \binom{n}{k}= \frac{n!}{n!}= 1$...

Kind regards

$\chi$ $\sigma$

Ok I see that now, thank you!

But one more question then, when the "n" in my original example is a prime number does that make a difference, ignoring the first and last coefficients? In other words, if you take an example of n being non-prime, such as n=6, then the coefficients are 1,6,15,20,25,6,1, and so only two of the coefficients are divisible by the "n". But if you look at a prime n such as n=7, then you have coefficients of 1,7,21,35,35,21,7,1 - ALL of which are divisible by the prime "n" - except for the very first and last coefficients which are the cases you pointed out in your original reply. So, a follow up question then is for all such prime n's greater than 1, would all the coefficients between the first and last be divisible by that "n"? Thanks!

riemann75024 said:
Ok I see that now, thank you!

But one more question then, when the "n" in my original example is a prime number does that make a difference, ignoring the first and last coefficients? In other words, if you take an example of n being non-prime, such as n=6, then the coefficients are 1,6,15,20,25,6,1, and so only two of the coefficients are divisible by the "n". But if you look at a prime n such as n=7, then you have coefficients of 1,7,21,35,35,21,7,1 - ALL of which are divisible by the prime "n" - except for the very first and last coefficients which are the cases you pointed out in your original reply. So, a follow up question then is for all such prime n's greater than 1, would all the coefficients between the first and last be divisible by that "n"? Thanks!

The fact that $\displaystyle n| \binom{n}{k}$ for all k with the exceptions of k=0 and k=n holds for all n, primes or non primes...

Kind regards

$\chi$ $\sigma$

chisigma said:
The fact that $\displaystyle n| \binom{n}{k}$ for all k with the exceptions of k=0 and k=n holds for all n, primes or non primes...

Kind regards

$\chi$ $\sigma$

But I'm not looking to see if n is divisible by $\displaystyle\binom{n}{k}$, but rather if $\displaystyle\binom{n}{k}$ is divisible by n when n is prime for each k, because $\displaystyle\binom{n}{k}$ is not divisible by n for each k when n is not prime as my example of n=6 indicates.

chisigma said:

riemann75024 said:
But I'm not looking to see if n is divisible by $\displaystyle\binom{n}{k}$, but rather if $\displaystyle\binom{n}{k}$ is divisible by n when n is prime for each k
The notation m | n means that m divides n, not that m is divisible by n (the latter is sometimes denoted by m ⋮ n).

riemann75024 said:
$\displaystyle\binom{n}{k}$ is not divisible by n for each k when n is not prime as my example of n=6 indicates.
You are absolutely right. See Wikipedia for the proof of the following fact.

An integer $n\ge 2$ is prime if and only if all the intermediate binomial coefficients

\[\binom n 1,\binom n 2, \ldots, \binom n{n-1}\]

are divisible by $n$.

Look for the phrase "Another fact:", though what comes before is also relevant.

Hi,
I looked at the Wikipedia article, but I like my "proof" better.

Let p be a prime and \(\displaystyle 1\leq k<p\). Then \(\displaystyle k!\binom {p}{k}=p(p-1)\cdots (p-k+1)\). So p divides \(\displaystyle k!\binom {p}{k}\). Since p does not divide k!, p does divide \(\displaystyle \binom {p}{k}\)

Related to Divisibility of Binomial Coefficients

What is the definition of binomial coefficients?

Binomial coefficients are the numerical coefficients that appear in the expansion of binomial expressions. They represent the number of ways to choose a certain number of objects from a set.

How do you calculate binomial coefficients?

The formula for calculating binomial coefficients is nCr = n! / (r!(n-r)!), where n represents the total number of objects and r represents the number of objects being chosen.

What is the significance of divisibility of binomial coefficients?

The divisibility of binomial coefficients is important in combinatorics and number theory. It can help to determine the prime factors of a number and reveal patterns in the distribution of primes.

What is the relationship between binomial coefficients and Pascal's triangle?

Pascal's triangle is a triangular array of numbers where each number is the sum of the two numbers directly above it. The numbers in each row of Pascal's triangle correspond to the binomial coefficients for that power of the binomial expression.

Are there any applications of binomial coefficients in real life?

Yes, binomial coefficients have various applications in mathematics, statistics, and computer science. They are used in probability calculations, in the binomial theorem for expanding binomial expressions, and in algorithms for data compression and decoding.