DOE kills FutureGen Coal Gasification Plant

In summary, the Department of Energy's Futuregen project, which aimed to develop a clean coal, carbon capture, and hydrogen production prototype plant, was started in 2003 but faced budget constraints and the potential for failure. The DOE is now shifting its focus to smaller projects that would still include carbon capture but not the other components. The principle of carbon capture involves deep geological storage, which has been met with some skepticism. The comparison between the storage of millions of tons of CO2 and smaller quantities of nuclear waste highlights differing perceptions of risk.
mheslep
Gold Member
Futuregen was the DOE's clean coal, carbon capture, and hydrogen production prototype plant all rolled into one. Started in 2003, DOE http://blogs.wsj.com/environmentalcapital/2008/02/06/futuregen-fight-gloves-off/?mod=googlenews_wsj" it had enough of the big bang project, it was busting its budget and DOE thought it might fail regardless. DOE is now morphing Futuregen into several smaller projects that would keep the clean coal - carbon capture but dump the rest.

http://www.futuregenalliance.org/news/doe_proposal_fact_check_013108.stm"
http://www.stltoday.com/stltoday/news/stories.nsf/editorialcommentary/story/FED1EF50F9C186CA862573E70017463B?OpenDocument"
http://www.futuregenalliance.org/news/futuregen_alliance_statement_020608.stm"

Block Diagram of Futuregen technology

Attachments

• integrated.jpg
    integrated.jpg
    32.4 KB · Views: 377
Last edited by a moderator:
Computer science news on Phys.org
What was the principle of carbon capture ? I have personally my doubts about this, but then I can be wrong...

EDIT: I should have looked better: the carbon sequestration is by deep geological storage. It is funny that for millions of tons of non-decaying CO2 which should hence be kept for millions of years seems to be no problem in the eye of the (green) beholder, but if the same is proposed for much smaller quantities of nuclear waste that will be harmless after a few 1000 years, then this is an untollerable risk!

Last edited:
vanesch said:
What was the principle of carbon capture ? I have personally my doubts about this, but then I can be wrong...

EDIT: I should have looked better: the carbon sequestration is by deep geological storage. It is funny that for millions of tons of non-decaying CO2 which should hence be kept for millions of years seems to be no problem in the eye of the (green) beholder, but if the same is proposed for much smaller quantities of nuclear waste that will be harmless after a few 1000 years, then this is an untollerable risk!
Generally agree, though the occasional CO2 leak is perhaps not so dramatic

Related to DOE kills FutureGen Coal Gasification Plant

1. What is the DOE (Department of Energy) and why did they kill the FutureGen Coal Gasification Plant?

The DOE is a government agency responsible for energy policy and research. They decided to cancel the FutureGen Coal Gasification Plant due to concerns over its cost and efficiency.

2. What is a coal gasification plant and why was the FutureGen project significant?

A coal gasification plant converts coal into a synthetic gas called syngas, which can then be used as a fuel source. The FutureGen project was significant because it aimed to use advanced technology to reduce carbon emissions and increase efficiency in coal gasification.

3. How much money was invested in the FutureGen project before it was cancelled?

The DOE had invested $1 billion in the FutureGen project before it was cancelled in 2008.

4. What were the main reasons for the DOE's decision to cancel the FutureGen project?

The DOE cited concerns over the project's high cost, technical difficulties, and potential environmental impact as the main reasons for its cancellation.

5. Is there any potential for the FutureGen project or similar projects to be revived in the future?

While the FutureGen project was officially cancelled, there have been discussions and proposals for similar projects to be developed in the future. However, it is uncertain if any of these plans will come to fruition.

Back