Does a limit exist on a graph at (-1,0) if the point

In summary, the conversation discusses the existence of a limit on a graph at (-1,0). The point is solid and has a right sided limit, but no left sided limit. The speaker is confused by the fact that the point is solid, which indicates continuity, but there are no points or lines to the left of (-1,0). The other person clarifies that the solid dot does not necessarily indicate continuity, but rather that the function's domain includes the point. The lack of a solid dot at a point can indicate that the function is not defined at that point or has a discontinuity.
Kendal
Does a limit exist on a graph at (-1,0) if the point is solid, and has a right sided limit, but there is nothing left of the point?

I understand that if the left sided limit and the right sided limit are different then it doesn't exist, but on my graph it shows a line coming from the right, stopping at (-1,0). where it stops, there is a solid dot indicating it's continuous (I'm assuming, correct me if I'm wrong), but the function stops there. There are no points or lines left of (-1,0)

Mathematics news on Phys.org
What's the problem? A right sided limit exists, and a left doesn't. The question of continuity from the left simply makes no sense.

The solid dot does not typically indicate continuity at the point (-1,0), rather, it indicates that the function's domain includes the point -1. On the other hand, a circle that is not solid at a point typically indicates that the function either 1) is not defined at that point or 2) has a discontinuity, i.e. you have to look elsewhere to find what the point is defined as in the function. Does that make sense in the context of the graph in your problem?

Related to Does a limit exist on a graph at (-1,0) if the point

1. Does the limit exist at (-1,0)?

Yes, the limit exists at (-1,0) if the graph approaches the same value from both sides of the point. This is known as a "two-sided limit".

2. What if the graph approaches different values from either side of the point?

If the graph approaches different values from either side of the point, the limit does not exist. This is known as a "one-sided limit".

3. How can I determine if the limit exists at (-1,0)?

You can determine if the limit exists at (-1,0) by looking at the behavior of the graph near the point. If the graph approaches the same value from both sides, the limit exists. If the graph approaches different values, the limit does not exist.

4. Can a limit exist at (-1,0) if the point is not included in the domain of the function?

No, the limit cannot exist at (-1,0) if the point is not included in the domain of the function. The point must be included in the domain for the limit to exist.

5. Is the existence of a limit at (-1,0) the same as the continuity of the function at that point?

No, the existence of a limit at (-1,0) does not necessarily mean that the function is continuous at that point. A function can have a limit at a point but still have a discontinuity at that point.