Does anyone want to talk about....Quaternion Differential Calculus?

In summary, Quaternion Differential Calculus is a mathematical tool used to study the dynamics of systems with four-dimensional states. It extends the traditional calculus to handle quaternion-valued functions and provides a framework for analyzing complex physical systems, such as rigid body rotations and quantum mechanics. While it may seem abstract and complex, it has numerous practical applications in fields such as robotics, computer graphics, and aerospace engineering.
MiloE
How did you find PF?
google
I was analyzing the stock market and wanted to know what math I was using, to describe the formula I was using, which I discovered later to be Differential Calculus. I was messing around with a growth rate of my stocks when I got lost in the application of near a dozen types of formulas to check my result. My answer was positive and negative, and the calculator bugged out and just set itself to Infiniti symbol. I am now interested in Quaternion Differential Calculus. -Emiliano Alohi Espinoza

Likes berkeman
Physics news on Phys.org
Well? Ask a more specific question in the "Calculus" forum.

I read a book on quaternionic calculus a long time ago (in connection with someone's attempted generalization of ordinary quantum mechanics), but I never found it to be particularly useful, at least for my purposes.

One difficult problem with quaternionic calculus arises almost immediately when you try to generalize the Cauchy-Riemann (CR) equations from complex calculus. In the latter case, all is well, and the CR notion of analyticity is a powerful and far-reaching tool. But in the quaternionic case, the corresponding equations are overdetermined, which is inconvenient.

(Btw, if you're not yet proficient in complex variable calculus, contour integration, and all that, it might be best to study that first.)

Likes berkeman