Does CP Violation Influence Entropy Through Altered Thermal Radiation?

In summary: If so, is it part of the state of the system?If I understand correctly the apparent structure of the SM gives it a specific phase space partitioning that sets egodic probabilities, but from what is that structure defined? Is its definition considered information? If so, is it part of the state of the system?
tzimie
Please help me with my confusion.
My logic:
1. CP violation causes direct T-violation
2. T-violation breaks Kirchhoff's law of thermal radiation (imagine a rock in a thermal bath of T-violating particles, where absorption and emission rates are different). When I say "radiation", I don't mean photons, but any type of radiation.
3. Such body in thermal equilibrium with environment will become hotter or colder than environment, depending on what is more probable - absorption or emission.
4. !?

Physics news on Phys.org
Will the rock become hotter or colder than the environment? Wouldn't the rate of absorption of T-violating particles equal the emission of T-violating antiparticles?

Khashishi said:
WWouldn't the rate of absorption of T-violating particles equal the emission of T-violating antiparticles?

No, because you are describing the CT symmetry, which is also violated.

tzimie said:
3. Such body in thermal equilibrium with environment will become hotter or colder than environment, depending on what is more probable - absorption or emission.
Transition probability in quantum physics depends on two factors. One factor is the probability amplitude, which is asymmetric for absorption/emission in T-violating processes. But the other factor which you might overlook is the phase-space factor; the transition to a larger phase space is more probable. It is this second factor which is responsible for the second law in thermodynamics, and the small T-violation in the first factor cannot significantly influence the dominating effect of the second factor.

Likes Nugatory
Demystifier said:
Transition probability in quantum physics depends on two factors. One factor is the probability amplitude, which is asymmetric for absorption/emission in T-violating processes. But the other factor which you might overlook is the phase-space factor; the transition to a larger phase space is more probable. It is this second factor which is responsible for the second law in thermodynamics, and the small T-violation in the first factor cannot significantly influence the dominating effect of the second factor.

Agreed, but still you will be able to create perpetuum mobile of the second kind, right?

tzimie said:
Agreed, but still you will be able to create perpetuum mobile of the second kind, right?
Perhaps only far small mesoscopic systems.

with respect to post #4

Is the partition of the phase space a direct result of the SM?

If I understand correctly the apparent structure of the SM gives it a specific phase space partitioning that sets egodic probabilities, but from what is that structure defined? Is its definition considered information?

Last edited:

Related to Does CP Violation Influence Entropy Through Altered Thermal Radiation?

FAQ 1: What is CP violation?

CP violation is a phenomenon in particle physics where the laws of physics are not symmetrical under the combined transformations of charge conjugation (C) and parity (P). In other words, the behavior of particles and their antiparticles are not exactly the same.

FAQ 2: How does CP violation relate to entropy?

CP violation is closely related to the concept of entropy, which is a measure of the disorder or randomness in a system. In the early universe, CP violation was responsible for creating an imbalance between matter and antimatter, leading to the observed higher entropy in the universe today.

FAQ 3: What causes CP violation?

CP violation can be caused by a number of factors, such as differences in the masses and lifetimes of particles and antiparticles, or interactions with the Higgs field. It is still an active area of research in particle physics.

FAQ 4: How is CP violation measured?

CP violation can be measured through experiments that study the decay of particles and their antiparticles. By comparing the rates of these decays, scientists can determine the degree of CP violation in a system.

FAQ 5: What are the implications of CP violation for our understanding of the universe?

CP violation plays a crucial role in our understanding of the origin of matter in the universe. Without CP violation, the universe would have equal amounts of matter and antimatter, which would annihilate each other, leaving behind only energy. The existence of CP violation allows for the formation of matter, and thus, the existence of the universe as we know it.