Does Gravity Gravitate? Part 3 - The Wave - Comments

• Insights
  • Thread starter PeterDonis
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Gravity Wave
In summary, PeterDonis submitted a new post on PF Insights discussing whether or not gravity gravitates, specifically in relation to the concept of waves. The conversation following the post touched on the validity of the Cavendish experiment, the practicality of simulating gravity in a lab, and the possibility of gravity being particles that orbit objects with mass. Ultimately, the suggestion was made to study a good GR textbook, such as Sean Carroll's online lecture notes, for a better understanding of our current theory of gravity.
PeterDonis submitted a new PF Insights post

Does Gravity Gravitate? Part 3 - The Wave

gravity3-80x80.png

Continue reading the Original PF Insights Post.

Likes Demystifier, martinbn and Greg Bernhardt
Physics news on Phys.org
Excellent summary of a subtle and somewhat non-intuitive issue. Well done :)

I thoroughly enjoyed all 3 articles thus far. More to come? =D

BiGyElLoWhAt said:
More to come?

Yes, but the first three were already written, since they were blog posts on the old PF blog facility. I'll actually have to write the next one. :wink:

Likes BiGyElLoWhAt
PeterDonis said:
Yes, but the first three were already written, since they were blog posts on the old PF blog facility. I'll actually have to write the next one. :wink:

Well get to it :-)

Likes BiGyElLoWhAt
Loved ur post. Why do u think gravity can't be simulated in a lab? If we solve gravity and accurately find a graviton, do u think we then could produce gravity in a lab?
Thanks for your help.

Edriven said:
Why do u think gravity can't be simulated in a lab?

It doesn't have to be "simulated". We can measure the gravity of ordinary objects with very precise tools. Google for "Cavendish Experiment".

PeterDonis said:
It doesn't have to be "simulated". We can measure the gravity of ordinary objects with very precise tools. Google for "Cavendish Experiment".

I thought cavendish failed his peer review? So it was determined that he didn't demonstrate gravity.

Edriven said:
I thought cavendish failed his peer review?

Um, what? Cavendish did his original experiment in the late 1700's. There was no "peer review" then.

Edriven said:
So it was determined that he didn't demonstrate gravity.

Quite the contrary; Cavendish's results were accepted, because they could be used to calculate an accurate value for Newton's gravitational constant, and that value could then be plugged into Newtonian models of the solar system and shown to match observations.

Also, Edriven, when you quote someone's post, you can put your reply in the same post, as I did in post #11 of this thread in reply to you; you don't have to put it in a separate post, as you did with posts #9 and #10 in this thread.

PeterDonis said:
Um, what? Cavendish did his original experiment in the late 1700's. There was no "peer review" then.
Quite the contrary; Cavendish's results were accepted, because they could be used to calculate an accurate value for Newton's gravitational constant, and that value could then be plugged into Newtonian models of the solar system and shown to match observations.
http://www.public.iastate.edu/~lhodges/Michell.htm. I know of the Cabendish experiment. I have tried to find information on the actual experiment but find conflicting data. An experiment like this, would not seem practical to me personally. We all know that we are: rotating at 10,000mph, orbiting the sun, have barometric pressure, have seismic activity, have oceans that pull toward the moon, etc.
This is a lot of natural forces to shield against. So from my perspective, the Cavendish experiment does not prove the force of gravity.

Edriven said:
I have tried to find information on the actual experiment but find conflicting data.

Can you give some specific examples?

Edriven said:
An experiment like this, would not seem practical to me personally.

The experiment has been repeated multiple times with modern equipment. There is no doubt at all about the results. Here is an example of a modern setup:

http://www.phys.utk.edu/labs/modphys/Pasco Cavendish Experiment.pdf

Edriven said:
We all know that we are: rotating at 10,000mph, orbiting the sun, have barometric pressure, have seismic activity, have oceans that pull toward the moon, etc.
This is a lot of natural forces to shield against.

All that just means you need to do the experiment under controlled conditions in a lab; that is easily done with modern equipment. It can even be done by a lay person nowadays; for an example, see John Walker's description, "Bending Spacetime in the Basement":

https://www.fourmilab.ch/gravitation/foobar/

Edriven said:
from my perspective, the Cavendish experiment does not prove the force of gravity.

You are entitled to your perspective, but that doesn't make it correct. I strongly advise looking into this in more detail before you jump to the conclusion that modern physics is wrong.

PeterDonis said:
Edriven said:
I have tried to find information on the actual experiment but find conflicting data.

Can you give some specific examples?

Edriven said:
An experiment like this, would not seem practical to me personally.

The experiment has been repeated multiple times with modern equipment. There is no doubt at all about the results. Here is an example of a modern setup:

http://www.phys.utk.edu/labs/modphys/Pasco Cavendish Experiment.pdf

Edriven said:
We all know that we are: rotating at 10,000mph, orbiting the sun, have barometric pressure, have seismic activity, have oceans that pull toward the moon, etc.
This is a lot of natural forces to shield against.

All that just means you need to do the experiment under controlled conditions in a lab; that is easily done with modern equipment. It can even be done by a lay person nowadays; for an example, see John Walker's description, "Bending Spacetime in the Basement":

https://www.fourmilab.ch/gravitation/foobar/

Edriven said:
from my perspective, the Cavendish experiment does not prove the force of gravity.

You are entitled to your perspective, but that doesn't make it correct. I strongly advise looking into this in more detail before you jump to the conclusion that modern physics is wrong.
Thank you for help on this topic. I don't think modern physics is wrong. I am trying to question it only to understand it further. Do you thing gravity could be particles, like neutrinos, that orbit an object with mass?

Edriven said:
Do you thing gravity could be particles, like neutrinos, that orbit an object with mass?

No. If you want to learn about our best current theory of gravity, I suggest taking the time to work through a good GR textbook. Sean Carroll's online lecture notes aren't a bad start:

http://arxiv.org/abs/gr-qc/9712019

Likes Edriven
PeterDonis said:
No. If you want to learn about our best current theory of gravity, I suggest taking the time to work through a good GR textbook. Sean Carroll's online lecture notes aren't a bad start:

http://arxiv.org/abs/gr-qc/9712019
Thank you for the reference

Related to Does Gravity Gravitate? Part 3 - The Wave - Comments

1. What is the "wave" mentioned in the title?

The "wave" referred to in the title is the gravitational wave, which is a ripple in the fabric of spacetime caused by the acceleration of massive objects. This concept was predicted by Einstein's theory of general relativity and was first detected in 2015 by the Laser Interferometer Gravitational-Wave Observatory (LIGO).

2. How does the gravitational wave relate to the concept of gravitation?

The gravitational wave is a result of the force of gravitation. According to Einstein's theory, any object with mass creates a curvature in spacetime, and when that object accelerates, it creates ripples in that curvature, which we perceive as gravitational waves.

3. Can gravitational waves be observed?

Yes, gravitational waves have been observed by the LIGO and Virgo collaborations. These waves are incredibly small and difficult to detect, but with advanced technology and sophisticated equipment, scientists have been able to detect and study them.

4. Are there any applications of gravitational waves?

Gravitational waves have the potential to help us learn more about the universe, including the formation of galaxies and black holes. They also have practical applications in technologies such as precision timekeeping and space navigation.

5. How does the discovery of gravitational waves impact our understanding of gravity?

The discovery of gravitational waves has provided further evidence for Einstein's theory of general relativity and has expanded our understanding of gravity. It has also opened up new avenues for research and exploration in the field of physics and cosmology.