Does measurement violate unitarity?

In summary, one of the postulates of quantum mechanics is that states evolve unitarily. This means that unitary transformations are invertible, but projections are not always unitary or invertible. This can cause issues with measurements, as they can violate unitarity. However, when entangled with other systems, unitary evolution can be broken and a pure state can become an effective mixed state.
hideelo
I am taking my first semester of QM so excuse my question if it is way off mark, totally wrong, or very well known.

As I understand it, one of the postulates of QM are that states evolve unitarily, a consequence (but not THE defining feature) of unitary transformations is that they are invertible.

Consider some system in state ∑ αii > where |Ψi > are the eigenstates of some observable. Now if I measure my system, then after the measurement the state will be |Ψi > i.e. it will be entirely in that state in which I found it to be.

If I am correct, then we can represent this by the transformation (1/αi)Pi where Pi is the projection onto the ith eigenstate and (1/αi) rescales it so that <Ψ|Ψ> = 1.

The problem is that projections arent unitary. In general they arent even invertable. So am I wrong about measurements violating unitarity? Is unitary transformations not a strict requirement?

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
hideelo said:
The problem is that projections arent unitary.

Sure.

However when entangled with other systems that can break untitary evolution by turning a pure state into an effective mixed state.

Thanks
Bill

Related to Does measurement violate unitarity?

1. What is unitarity and why is it important in science?

Unitarity is a fundamental principle in quantum mechanics that states that the total probability for all possible outcomes of an event must equal 1. This means that the sum of the probabilities for all possible outcomes must equal 1, ensuring that the laws of probability are not violated. Unitarity is important because it ensures the consistency and predictability of quantum mechanical systems.

2. How does measurement affect unitarity?

Measurement can potentially violate unitarity because it collapses the quantum state into a single definite outcome, while unitarity requires all possible outcomes to be accounted for in the total probability. This raises the question of what happens to the unobserved outcomes and how they are reconciled with the observed outcome.

3. Can measurement truly violate unitarity?

The answer to this question is still a topic of debate among scientists. Some theories, such as the Copenhagen interpretation, suggest that measurement does violate unitarity, while other theories, like the many-worlds interpretation, argue that unitarity is preserved through the branching of multiple universes to accommodate all possible outcomes.

4. How do scientists measure and test for unitarity in quantum systems?

Scientists use various techniques, such as quantum entanglement experiments, to measure and test for unitarity in quantum systems. These experiments involve observing the correlations between multiple quantum particles and testing if they follow the laws of unitarity.

5. What are the implications of unitarity violation for our understanding of quantum mechanics?

If measurement is found to truly violate unitarity, it would challenge our current understanding of quantum mechanics and potentially require the development of new theories to explain the behavior of quantum systems. It could also have implications for technology that relies on quantum mechanics, such as quantum computing and cryptography.