Does this variant of MOND exist?

• I
  • Thread starter nomadreid
  • Start date
  • Tags
    mond
In summary, Smolin's article discusses a regime of quantum gravity phenomena where the equivalence principle does not apply. He also suggests an effective description of this regime in terms of a bi-metric theory.
nomadreid
Gold Member
MOND theories are not very popular, but they don't seem to be going away. As I understand the original one, acceleration is a function of the amount of acceleration which would be predicted by Newton's Law. I saw a proposal recently (not yet published, hence I cannot give a reference) which makes the acceleration a function rather of the mass-energy density at each point. My question is not whether this can hold water, but whether this has been tried before.

Physics news on Phys.org
nomadreid said:
not yet published, hence I cannot give a reference

Without a reference, what is there to discuss?

Likes nomadreid
Vanadium 50 said:
Without a reference, what is there to discuss?

MOND as a regime of quantum gravity
Lee Smolin
(Submitted on 3 Apr 2017)
We propose that there is a regime of quantum gravity phenomena, for the case that the cosmological constant is small and positive, which concerns phenomena at temperatures below the deSitter temperature, or length scales larger than the horizon. We observe that the standard form of the equivalence principle does not apply in this regime; we consider instead that a weakened form of the equivalence principle might hold in which the ratio of gravitational to inertial mass is a function of environmental and global parameters. We consider possible principles to determine that function. These lead to behaviour that, in the limit of hbar to zero and the speed of light is taken to infinity, reproduces the modifications of Newtonian dynamics first proposed by Milgrom. Thus MOND is elucidated as coding the physics of a novel regime of quantum gravity phenomena.
We propose also an effective description of this regime in terms of a bi-metric theory, valid in the approximation where the metric is static. This predicts a new effect, which modifies gravity for radial motions.
Comments: LaTex 22 pages, one figure
Subjects: General Relativity and Quantum Cosmology (gr-qc); Astrophysics of Galaxies (astro-ph.GA); High Energy Physics - Theory (hep-th)
Cite as: arXiv:1704.00780 [gr-qc]

Likes nomadreid
kodama said:
Cite as: arXiv:1704.00780 [gr-qc]
Many thanks, kodama! Super! Smolin's article is definitely the sort of reference I needed. :smile:

Vanadium 50: your criticism is valid, so I could modify my question as follows: most MOND theories base the variation on gravity as a function of velocity or acceleration; Smolin (see reference) varies this by investigating a divergence from the equivalence principle of inertial and gravitational mass. A more amateurish attempt to do something less subtle, basing it on mass-energy density, is given by http://www.allanstime.com/UnifiedFieldTheory/gravity.htm. I have also seen an attempt (not to be published) to make the gravitational attraction in an infinitesimal region proportional to -(∇ρ)/ρ, where ρ is the local density of mass energy in that region. I am interested in more serious attempts to wean MOND-type theories away from dependence on acceleration (which makes them look like theory-made-to-fit-data) and based on something like mass-energy density [so that the solution of the flat rotation curves of galaxies comes out as a consequence, similar to the emergence of desirable qualities from Prof. Verlinde's theory based on string theory (https://arxiv.org/abs/1001.0785, https://arxiv.org/abs/1611.02269 ) and, more recently, https://arxiv.org/abs/1612.03034 ]. So, any further references would be appreciated.

Last edited:
Likes kodama

Related to Does this variant of MOND exist?

1. What is MOND and why is it important in the scientific community?

MOND stands for Modified Newtonian Dynamics, which is a theory proposed to explain the discrepancy between the observed rotation curves of galaxies and the predictions of Newtonian dynamics. It is important in the scientific community because it challenges the widely accepted theory of dark matter.

2. Does MOND have different variants or versions?

Yes, there are several variants or modifications of MOND proposed by different scientists, such as TeVeS, QUMOND, and BIMOND. These variants aim to improve upon the original theory and address its limitations.

3. Does this variant of MOND have any evidence to support it?

There have been several observational studies that have provided evidence for MOND, but the results have been inconclusive. Some studies support the theory, while others do not. As for specific variants, there is ongoing research to test their predictions and gather more evidence.

4. Are there any criticisms or challenges to this variant of MOND?

Yes, like any scientific theory, there are criticisms and challenges to MOND and its variants. Some scientists argue that it is not a complete theory and cannot fully explain all of the observed phenomena. Others question the underlying assumptions and mechanisms of MOND.

5. How does the existence of this variant of MOND impact our current understanding of gravity and the universe?

The existence of MOND and its variants challenges our current understanding of gravity and the universe. They propose alternative theories to explain the observed phenomena and could potentially lead to a paradigm shift in our understanding of the fundamental laws of physics.