Download software at HDD or SSD

user079622
Goal is to operate software as fast as possible.
If my download folder is at HDD , after install software is at c/program files (SSD), will this affect software speed or ask in other words, does software use files from download folder during operation?
If software use these files during operation, than I must save it at SSD...

From what I know, software dont use "download files" when software operate so I can save at HDD.
Is this correct?

Technology news on Phys.org
Software does not use files from download location (there won't be any after you delete the install file(s)). Download where-ever (preferably ssd) and install it to your SSD.

Likes user079622
russ_watters said:
Software does not use files from download location (there won't be any after you delete the install file(s)). Install it to your SSD. And make a habit of that.
But it is better download folder is at HDD, so less writing on SSD?

user079622 said:
You would have to download a LOT of software before you would need to worry about that. IMO, it is a good practice to have a reasonable amount of free space on an SSD so that the SSD "wear-leveling" can work to extend its life.

Likes russ_watters
FactChecker said:
You would have to download a LOT of software before you would need to worry about that. IMO, it is a good practice to have a reasonable amount of free space on an SSD so that the SSD "wear-leveling" can work to extend its life.
@russ_watters

Program comunicate with autosaves,backup during operation?

user079622 said:
Program comunicate with autosaves,backup during operation?
Which has nothing to do with where you downloaded it to.

Likes russ_watters
Vanadium 50 said:
Which has nothing to do with where you downloaded it to.
Yes I know, but than is good to put autosaves at SSD, to not loosing speed...

You are, basically, worrying about a problem that doesn't exist.

Likes russ_watters and Vanadium 50
user079622 said:
Yes I know, but than is good to put autosaves at SSD, to not loosing speed...
If you keep changing your question, you need to keep careful track of which question is being answered.

user079622 said:
Being a somewhat cautious computer user, I download to a hard drive and then install where-ever is convenient; usually copying the download to a sub-directory I add to the installation location.

My reasoning is NEVER have just one of anything that is even slightly important.

When the hard drive holding the original download fails, frequently you can remove the drive, orient it differently, connect the cables, and it will last long enough to copy everything to a new drive.

For instance, the normal operating position of the hard drives here is laying flat with the circuit board down. When they fail they can usually be read standing on end, connector down, in an external drive dock, and can also be read positioned on their long edge on the desk or floor.

Anyhow, that's my 2-cents worth!

Cheers,
Tom

p.s. Another speedup tip: Configure both the operating system and the application to put their Temporary Files on an SSD, they are usually faster than an HDD. Don't forget to move the system Paging file.

1. Should I install software on an HDD or SSD?

It is generally recommended to install software on an SSD rather than an HDD. SSDs provide faster read and write speeds, which significantly improves the loading times and overall performance of the software. For applications requiring high-speed access to data, such as video editing software or games, installing on an SSD can offer noticeable benefits.

2. Can installing software on an SSD improve the lifespan of the drive?

SSDs have a limited number of write cycles, but modern SSDs are designed to handle a substantial amount of data writing. Installing and using software on an SSD will contribute to wear, but for most users, this isn't a significant concern due to advances in SSD technology like wear leveling. The performance benefits generally outweigh the wear and tear from regular use.

3. How does software performance differ between HDD and SSD?

Software installed on SSDs will generally perform faster compared to HDDs. This is because SSDs have lower latency and faster read/write speeds, which reduces loading times and improves the responsiveness of the software. For example, a game or a large application like a video editing tool will launch and operate much quicker when installed on an SSD.

4. What should I do if I don’t have enough SSD space for all my software?

If you are limited by SSD space, prioritize installing software that benefits most from the speed of an SSD, such as your operating system, frequently used applications, and performance-critical software. Less critical applications or large files that don't require fast loading times can be stored on an HDD. This strategy allows you to balance performance with available storage.

5. Is it more cost-effective to install software on an HDD?

While it is more cost-effective in terms of price per gigabyte to install software on an HDD, the trade-off is slower performance. If budget is a concern, consider a smaller SSD for essential software and an HDD for additional storage needs. This approach provides a good balance between cost and performance efficiency.