Drawing Vector Fields in MAPLE

In summary, the conversation is about drawing a vector field in MAPLE. The user is seeking guidance on how to draw a vector field using a specific vector, and another user provides a code for doing so. They also mention a helpful website for new users of MAPLE.
murshid_islam
i am new in using MAPLE. can anyone please tell me how i can draw a vector field in MAPLE? suppose i want to draw the vector field of [tex]\vec{A} = x\hat{i} + y\hat{j}[/tex]. or you can take any other vector you like to demostrate how i can draw it.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I don't think I really understand the question. In what sense do you want to draw the vector? For example, do you just want a graph, or do you actually want a picture of a vector?

sorry i meant the vector field. i have just edited my last post

Last edited:
For your vector field, it is done by the following command:

> with(linalg):
> F := (x,y) -> [x,y]:
> with(plots):
> fieldplot(F(x,y), x=-1..1, y=-1..1);

thanks a lot cristo. i just have one more question: to draw the vector field of [tex]x^2\hat{i}-y\hat{j}[/tex] i just have to replace the second line of your code with F := (x,y) -> [x^2, -y]:
am i right?

murshid_islam said:
thanks a lot cristo. i just have one more question: to draw the vector field of [tex]x^2\hat{i}-y\hat{j}[/tex] i just have to replace the second line of your code with F := (x,y) -> [x^2, -y]:
am i right?

Yes, that's correct.

thanks a lot.

hello there,
as a newby in maple, I found usefull this site:
www.mapleprimes.com
There are a lot of maple-nuts there who
know everything!

thanks a lot to you too.

Related to Drawing Vector Fields in MAPLE

1. How do I draw a vector field in MAPLE?

To draw a vector field in MAPLE, you can use the "VectorField" command, followed by the function or expression for the vector field, and the range of values for the x and y variables. For example: VectorField(x^2+y^2, x=-5..5, y=-5..5) will draw a vector field for the function x^2+y^2 in the range of -5 to 5 for both x and y.

2. Can I customize the appearance of the vector field in MAPLE?

Yes, you can customize the appearance of the vector field by using the options available in the "VectorField" command. These options include changing the color, thickness, and style of the vectors, as well as adding labels and arrows to the vectors.

3. How can I plot multiple vector fields in the same graph in MAPLE?

To plot multiple vector fields in the same graph in MAPLE, you can use the "display" command. First, you need to define each vector field using the "VectorField" command, and then use "display" to plot them together. For example: display(VectorField(x^2, y^2), VectorField(cos(x), sin(x))) will plot two vector fields in the same graph.

4. Is it possible to animate a vector field in MAPLE?

Yes, it is possible to animate a vector field in MAPLE using the "animate" command. This command allows you to create a sequence of plots for a vector field by varying a specified parameter. For example: animate(VectorField(x^2+y^2, x=-5..5, y=-5..5, t), t=0..10) will create an animation of the vector field as the parameter t varies from 0 to 10.

5. How can I save a vector field plot as an image in MAPLE?

To save a vector field plot as an image in MAPLE, you can use the "Export" command. This command allows you to save the plot in various formats, including PNG, JPEG, and PDF. For example: Export(VectorField(x^2, y^2), "myplot.png") will save the vector field plot as a PNG image with the file name "myplot".