Dynamic Programming: Solving Optimization Problems with Infinite Horizon

In summary, dynamic programming is a method for solving optimization problems with infinite horizons by breaking them down into smaller subproblems and working backwards to find the optimal solution. It involves calculating the maximum value of the objective function at each step and combining these optimal decisions to obtain the final solution.
yamdizzle
How do we solve optimization problems with infinite horizon. I tried to look online for some guidance but nothing but just problems and no solution methods. For example how can I solve:

maximize a_t [itex]\in[/itex][0,1]
[itex]\sum\frac{-2a_t}{3}[/itex]+log(S_T)
where sum goes from 0 to T-1
subject to: s_t+1 = s_t *(1+a_t)

Some sources say we can use backwards induction but doesn't really tell me how I can do so.
Can someone explain the methodology or direct me to somewhere that explains it.

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
!The method you are referring to is called dynamic programming, and it is a powerful tool for solving optimization problems with infinite horizons. Essentially, the idea is to break down the problem into smaller subproblems, which can then be solved independently. This is done by starting at the end of the horizon (T) and working backwards until you reach the initial state (t=0).At each step, you need to calculate the maximum value of the objective function, given the current state and the decisions available. This is done by considering all possible decisions, and choosing the one that yields the highest value. Once you have computed the optimal decisions for each subproblem, you can then combine them to obtain the optimal solution for the entire problem.For your example, you could start by calculating the optimal decision for time T-1, given the objective function and the constraint (S_T+1 = S_T*(1+a_t)). Then, you would work backwards, calculating the optimal decision for each time t from T-1 to 0.I hope this helps!

Related to Dynamic Programming: Solving Optimization Problems with Infinite Horizon

1. What is dynamic programming?

Dynamic programming is a problem-solving method used to find the optimal solution to a complex problem by breaking it down into smaller subproblems and solving each subproblem recursively. It is commonly used to solve optimization problems with infinite horizon, where the goal is to maximize or minimize a function over an infinite number of steps.

2. How does dynamic programming differ from other problem-solving techniques?

Unlike other problem-solving techniques that solve a problem by breaking it down into smaller subproblems and then combining solutions to those subproblems, dynamic programming also stores the solutions to subproblems in a table or array. This allows for more efficient computation and avoids repeating the same subproblem multiple times.

3. What types of problems can be solved using dynamic programming?

Dynamic programming can be used to solve a variety of problems, including optimization problems, shortest path problems, and sequence alignment problems. It is also commonly used in economics, finance, and computer science to solve complex problems with infinite horizon.

4. What are the key components of a dynamic programming problem?

The key components of a dynamic programming problem are the recursive formulation, the table or array to store solutions to subproblems, and the bottom-up or top-down approach to solving the problem. The recursive formulation breaks down the problem into smaller subproblems, the table stores the solutions to these subproblems, and the bottom-up or top-down approach determines the order in which the subproblems are solved.

5. What are the advantages of using dynamic programming?

One of the main advantages of using dynamic programming is that it can significantly reduce the time and space complexity of solving complex problems. By storing solutions to subproblems, dynamic programming avoids repeating the same computation multiple times, making it more efficient than other problem-solving techniques. Additionally, dynamic programming can also be used to solve problems with infinite horizon, which would be impossible using other techniques.