Dynamics, Coefficient of Friction

In summary, the task is to determine the shortest distance for a truck going at a speed of 45 mi/h to come to a stop without the load shifting. Given a coefficient of static friction of 0.40 between the load and the flat-bed trailer, the acceleration of the load can be calculated to be 12.88 ft/s^2. Using this acceleration and the initial velocity of the truck, the shortest distance for the truck to stop is found to be 170 feet.
CursedAntagonis

Homework Statement

The coefficients of friction between the load and the flat-bed trailer shown are [tex]\mu[/tex]s = 0.40 and [tex]\mu[/tex]k = 0.30. Knowing that the speed of the rig is 45 mi/h, determine the shortest distance in which the rig can be brough to a stop if the load is not to shift.

The drawing shows a box sitting a top of a trailer bed with a distance of 10' between the box and the cabin.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I am not really sure how to begin this problem. I am thinking using the coefficient of friction I can find the acceleration of the box and use that to find the distance needed for the truck to stop, but I am not sure.

So far I have used the [tex]\mu[/tex]k to find the acceleration of the box if it was to move, and was able to find the velocity of the box if it were to move.

Physics news on Phys.org
CursedAntagonis said:
I am thinking using the coefficient of friction I can find the acceleration of the box and use that to find the distance needed for the truck to stop, but I am not sure.
yes, but which coefficient would you use, and why?
So far I have used the [tex]\mu[/tex]k to find the acceleration of the box if it was to move, and was able to find the velocity of the box if it were to move.
But if the load is not to shift, it's not supposed to move relative to the flatbed.

PhanthomJay said:
yes, but which coefficient would you use, and why?

I am guessing that would be static friction since the box is to stand still while the truck is to slow down and stop.

So if I to use the coefficient of static friction to find the acceleration, and use that acceleration to find the distance it takes for the truck to stop that would be the answer?

It is a bit frustrating that the book does not have the answer to this question, it has the answer for both odds and evens and yet somehow this number is omitted.

CursedAntagonis said:
I am guessing that would be static friction since the box is to stand still while the truck is to slow down and stop.

So if I to use the coefficient of static friction to find the acceleration, and use that acceleration to find the distance it takes for the truck to stop that would be the answer?
yes...but watch your units
It is a bit frustrating that the book does not have the answer to this question, it has the answer for both odds and evens and yet somehow this number is omitted.
so watch your math...

PhanthomJay said:
yes...but watch your unitsso watch your math...

Thanks. When I find the solution, would you mind double checking my work? I will post my work.

CursedAntagonis said:
Thanks. When I find the solution, would you mind double checking my work? I will post my work.
Not at all. But it won't be 'til morning. maybe someone else will check it if it's urgent...but it's Sunday, and nothing is due on Sunday...

PhanthomJay said:
Not at all. But it won't be 'til morning. maybe someone else will check it if it's urgent...but it's Sunday, and nothing is due on Sunday...

So here is what I have got so far:

F=([tex]\mu[/tex]s)N
N=mg

F=([tex]\mu[/tex]s)(m)(g)
ma=([tex]\mu[/tex]s)(m)(g)

the mass cancels out and thus
a=([tex]\mu[/tex]s)(g)
a=(0.40)(32.2ft/s^2)
a=12.88 ft/s^2

Converting the 45 mi/h gives us 66 ft/s, and using the acceleration found in the equation V^2=Vo^2+2a(X-Xo):

0=(66ft/s)^2+2(12.88 ft/s^2)(-X) gives us
X=169.1 feet.

This is the shortest distance for the truck to stop.

Does that sound about right? Thanks for going over my work.

Last edited:
CursedAntagonis said:
So here is what I have got so far:

F=([tex]\mu[/tex]s)N
N=mg

F=([tex]\mu[/tex]s)(m)(g)
ma=([tex]\mu[/tex]s)(m)(g)

the mass cancels out and thus
a=([tex]\mu[/tex]s)(g)
a=(0.40)(32.2ft/s^2)
a=12.88 ft/s^2

Converting the 45 mi/h gives us 66 ft/s, and using the acceleration found in the equation V^2=Vo^2+2a(X-Xo):

0=(66ft/s)^2+2(12.88 ft/s^2)(-X) gives us
X=169.1 feet.

This is the shortest distance for the truck to stop.

Does that sound about right? Thanks for going over my work.
Yes, good job; just round off your answer to 170 feet (2 significant figures).

Related to Dynamics, Coefficient of Friction

What is dynamics?

Dynamics is the branch of physics that deals with the study of motion and the forces that cause that motion.

What is coefficient of friction?

Coefficient of friction is a measure of the amount of friction between two surfaces in contact. It is represented by the symbol μ and is a unitless value.

How is coefficient of friction calculated?

Coefficient of friction can be calculated by dividing the force of friction between two surfaces by the normal force acting between them. It can also be determined experimentally by measuring the force required to move an object across a surface.

What are the different types of coefficients of friction?

There are two main types of coefficients of friction - static and kinetic. Static coefficient of friction is the amount of force required to overcome the initial resistance of an object at rest, while kinetic coefficient of friction is the amount of force required to maintain motion of an object already in motion.

Why is coefficient of friction important?

Coefficient of friction is important because it helps us understand and predict the behavior of objects in motion. It is also crucial in engineering and design, as it determines the amount of force needed to move objects and the amount of wear and tear on surfaces in contact.