Dynamics Homework: Find Velocity/Acceleration & Time of Ball Hitting Ground

• Thread starter ihavaquestion
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Dynamics
In summary, the conversation discusses finding the vertical component of velocity and acceleration of a ball as it is kicked upwards, using the equation y(t) = (-4.9 t^2 + 20t + 0.50)m. The conversation also mentions using derivatives to solve for velocity and acceleration, and finding the time at which the ball hits the ground by setting y equal to yg.
ihavaquestion

Homework Statement

he position of a ball as its kicked upwards is measured as
y(t) =(-4.9 t^2 + 20t + 0.50)m,
where t is measured in seconds. Find the vertical component of velocity and acceleration of the ball as a function of time. If the ground is located at yg = 0, find the time at which the ball hits the ground.

Homework Equations

Cant I take the first and second derivative to find velocity and acc.? then i don't know how to solve for time

The Attempt at a Solution

would velocity= -9.8t + 20
acc.=-9.8??

Physics news on Phys.org
ihavaquestion said:
Cant I take the first and second derivative to find velocity and acc.?

Yes

ihavaquestion said:

The Attempt at a Solution

would velocity= -9.8t + 20
acc.=-9.8??

Yes and yes.

ihavaquestion said:
then i don't know how to solve for time

Using the expression for y(t), find the t at which y = yg.

Related to Dynamics Homework: Find Velocity/Acceleration & Time of Ball Hitting Ground

1. What is the formula for finding the velocity of a ball?

The formula for finding velocity is v = d/t, where v is velocity, d is distance, and t is time.

2. How do you find the acceleration of a ball?

The formula for finding acceleration is a = (vf - vi)/t, where a is acceleration, vf is final velocity, vi is initial velocity, and t is time.

3. Can you find the time when a ball hits the ground?

Yes, you can find the time when a ball hits the ground by using the formula t = √(2h/g), where t is time, h is height, and g is the acceleration due to gravity (9.8 m/s²).

4. What is the unit of measurement for velocity and acceleration?

The unit of measurement for both velocity and acceleration is meters per second (m/s).

5. How do I use the equations to solve a dynamics homework problem?

To solve a dynamics homework problem, you will need to identify the known variables and plug them into the appropriate equation. Make sure to use the correct units and pay attention to any given conditions or constraints. Then, solve for the unknown variable using algebraic manipulation. Remember to label your final answer with the correct units.