Earth fault in delta star (grounded) transformer

In summary,A physical picture explains it better than a schematic drawing. The cross is the L-G fault. The primary winding sharing the same leg of the transformer's iron core as the secondary winding feeding the L-N fault shares the same problem--the shorted secondary winding suppresses flux in that leg. Without flux, the primary current in that leg becomes high, phase to phase.
jaus tail
Hi,

I am studying transmission lines faults. There was a line that said
In case of delta star transformer in transmission line, an Earth fault on star (grounded) side is seen as a line to line fault on delta side.
There was no explanation. I tried to google solutions but couldn't find any explanation.
Here's the diagram
upload_2016-12-9_12-2-59.png

The cross is the L-G fault. Why is it seen as a line to line fault on delta side?

Thanks in advance...

Engineering news on Phys.org
Think simple.
This is one of those rare occasions where an actual physical picture explains it better than a schematic drawing.
Look at a real transformer.
3phcore.jpg

Surely you see from your schematic that the L-N fault shorts out one secondary winding .
Think in small steps now.

Which primary winding shares the same leg of transformer's iron core as the secondary winding feeding the L-N fault?
Does the shorted secondary winding depress flux in that leg?
Does that depressed flux suppress counter-emf in the primary winding on that leg?
Is that leg's primary winding connected phase to phase?
Does that absence of counter-emf result in high primary current in that leg, phase to phase?

hope that helps.

Last edited:
Thanks a lot for the reply and also the stepped response. Now I can discuss the points.
upload_2016-12-9_23-4-44.png

Which primary winding shares the same leg of transformer's iron core as the secondary winding feeding the L-N fault? Suppose fault occurs on Y-leg on star side.
Does the shorted secondary winding depress flux in that leg? So Iy will be maximum and Ir and Ib will be zero. That is entire current would go through y phase. Right?
Does that depressed flux suppress counter-emf in the primary winding on that leg? Excess Iy on secondary side causes excess Iy on primary side.
Is that leg's primary winding connected phase to phase? And this Y winding is connected phase to phase.
Does that absence of counter-emf result in high primary current in that leg, phase to phase? So Iy will be high in Y phase of primary winding.

But I'm not sure what will effect be on R and B phase of secondary side. Would they go to zero?

Attachments

• upload_2016-12-9_23-3-37.png
    upload_2016-12-9_23-3-37.png
    4.6 KB · Views: 1,367
jaus tail said:
But I'm not sure what will effect be on R and B phase of secondary side. Would they go to zero?
Ahhh R and B are colors ! Had me confused.

Well, if there's zero volts between Y1 and Y2 on primary side then R and B on secondary would try to become equal and opposite, wouldn't they ?
Does your textbook show phasor triangle distorted under a fault?

Last edited:
jim hardy said:

Well, if there's zero volts between Y1 and Y2 on primary side then R and B on secondary would try to become equal and opposite, wouldn't they ?
The textbook doesn't have the phasor triangle or any description. Just the statement I put in the starting thread.

I didn't understand this:
Why is there zero volts between Y1 and Y2 on primary? The secondary current at y1 and y2 on secondary is fault so it rises very high. So is it like a transformer on short circuit test? But there would be some voltage because secondary current is very high, so secondary flux is high so e = d(flux)/dt is very high, so there must be some voltage, right?

jaus tail said:
So is it like a transformer on short circuit test?
that's right.

Just enough voltage to overcome leakage reactance, winding resistance, and wires between transformer and fault.

jaus tail said:
because secondary current is very high, so secondary flux is high
that's not so. Current makes mmf , and in a transformer secondary and primary mmf's cancel. Flux in a short circuited transformer is low. Remember how a current transformer works ?

jim hardy said:
that's right.

Just enough voltage to overcome leakage reactance, winding resistance, and wires between transformer and fault.that's not so. Current makes mmf , and in a transformer secondary and primary mmf's cancel. Flux in a short circuited transformer is low. Remember how a current transformer works ?

Okay so i understood why voltage at y1, y2 is zero. Current transformer has high number of turns at secondary and CT is always loaded else you have a very high voltage at secondary.

jim hardy said:

Reason for Voltage R and B to be equal and opposite: V(y1 - y2) is same as V(r2 - b1) so Vr2 = Vb1. Thus Vr1r2 = -(Vb1b2). i guess...

I think it makes more sense if you look at the original diagram that you posted with a delta wye transformer. There are 3 primary windings on the primary and 3 on the secondary. You'll notice that each secondary winding is drawn parallel to one of the primary windings. These parallel lines indicate that this pair of windings is on the same leg of the transformer.

Take the vertical lines for example. On the secondary, this corresponds to a phase to neutral voltage. Its corresponding primary winding is connected from phase to phase. So, if I fault the secondary winding (ground fault on the star side), the primary winding will be supplying phase to phase fault current.

Does this help?

Likes jaus tail

Related to Earth fault in delta star (grounded) transformer

1. What is an Earth fault in a delta star (grounded) transformer?

An Earth fault in a delta star (grounded) transformer is a type of electrical fault that occurs when there is a break or short circuit in one of the phases of the transformer winding that connects to the earth or ground. This can cause an imbalance in the electrical current and potentially damage the transformer.

2. What causes an Earth fault in a delta star (grounded) transformer?

An Earth fault in a delta star (grounded) transformer can be caused by a variety of factors, such as insulation failure, lightning strikes, or faulty equipment. It can also occur due to external factors, like animals or debris coming into contact with the transformer.

3. What are the signs of an Earth fault in a delta star (grounded) transformer?

Some common signs of an Earth fault in a delta star (grounded) transformer include flickering lights, unusual noises, and a burning smell coming from the transformer. In some cases, the transformer may also trip or shut down due to the fault.

4. How is an Earth fault in a delta star (grounded) transformer detected?

An Earth fault in a delta star (grounded) transformer can be detected through regular maintenance and inspections, as well as by using specialized equipment such as ground fault relays or current transformers. These tools can measure the electrical current and detect any imbalances that may indicate an Earth fault.

5. How can an Earth fault in a delta star (grounded) transformer be prevented?

To prevent an Earth fault in a delta star (grounded) transformer, regular maintenance and inspections are crucial. It is also important to ensure proper installation and grounding of the transformer, as well as using high-quality equipment and protective measures such as surge protectors. In addition, safety precautions should be taken to prevent external factors, such as animals or debris, from coming into contact with the transformer.