Easy standard deviation problem

S = 1200Now what?Now you plug it back into the original equation for the standard deviation, and solve for the square root. This will give you the standard deviation for the entire year, which you can then use to answer the two questions.
Femme_physics
Gold Member

Homework Statement

The average monthly expense of a certain family during 11 months is 4000 shekels, with a standard deviation of 100 shekels.

Afterwards they added to the calculations the family's expense at the 12th month, and they found the average remained unchanged.

A) What was the family expense in the 12th month
B) Calculate the standard deviation

The Attempt at a Solution

Question A is easy, 4000.

Question B I thought was also easy, but I'm getting the wrong answer.

In my mind it should stay a 100!

The standard deviation so far was a 100, so I kept it like that, added the 12th month expense minus the average squared, all under square root, and I get a 100. Turns out it's not the answer. I'm not sure where my booboo is. Can anyone help me see it?

http://img200.imageshack.us/img200/7995/71798093.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Since the average remained the same, their expenditures in the 12th month were the same as the average, which you already know. However, the st. dev. should decrease.

In the calculation for the st. dev. for the first 11 months, there is a divisor of 10. For the calculation of the standard deviation for the whole year, the divisor will be 11, and the sum of the squared differences will be the same as before, since the squared difference between the expenditure for the month and the average expenditure are equal, x - x-bar is zero.

Ah, thanks Mark! I again must be using the wrong formula that I miswrote in my notebook. But some sources make the number you divide by "n", some make it "n-1", I'm not clear on which is true!

Femme_physics said:
Ah, thanks Mark! I again must be using the wrong formula that I miswrote in my notebook. But some sources make the number you divide by "n", some make it "n-1", I'm not clear on which is true!

They are both true, since standard deviations come in 2 flavors.
If this is the same notebook as the previous time, they'll be using "n".

Knowing this the calculation of the standard deviation in this case is still not trivial...

Ah. I think I get it. Its depends whether it's an even or an odd number :)

Femme_physics said:
Ah. I think I get it. Its depends whether it's an even or an odd number :)

No not quite. :wink:

I see you're eager to learn, so I'll try to explain.
Skip to the end if you think it's boring. ;)

It depends on whether you know the mean exactly beforehand, or whether you need the numbers to calculate the mean.

If you need the numbers to calculate the mean, the mean isn't quite accurate, and this shows in the fact that the standard deviation is slightly bigger.
This means you divide by "n-1".
This is called the "sample mean" respectively the "sample standard deviation".

If you know the mean beforehand exactly, it means there is no uncertainty left in the mean.
This shows in a standard deviation that is slightly smaller, and you divide by "n".
This is called the "population mean" respectively the "population standard deviation".

In your field of expertise, I don't think you'll ever know any mean beforehand exactly.
So you should always use the divider "n-1".

However, in your notebook they obviously use the other form, which is not wrong if you consider the numbers to represent the entire "population". So if you want the same answers as your solution manual, you'll probably have to use the divider "n".

So, that was quite a long story (and you may need a couple of examples to get it).
Now could you please do the problem? :wink:

I'll use the divider "n" from now on then :)

Oh yea -- the problem! You did notice I was trying to smile and thank my way out of it, didn't you? ^^ Darn it, can't get anything around you! Okay, okay!

Since 1100/11 = 100

Then 1100/12 = 91.666667

Femme_physics said:
I'll use the divider "n" from now on then :)

Oh yea -- the problem! You did notice I was trying to smile and thank my way out of it, didn't you? ^^ Darn it, can't get anything around you! Okay, okay!

Since 1100/11 = 100

Then 1100/12 = 91.666667

Not quite! :wink:

You're using a normal average here to find the standard deviation.
But standard deviations are made up from a square root of a sum of squares divided by a number.

So what you would have for the first 11 months is:

[tex]\sqrt{ \frac{(month1 - 4000)^2 + (month2 - 4000)^2 + ... + (month11 - 4000)^2}{11} } = 100[/tex]

and what you need, is:

[tex]\sqrt{ \frac{(month1 - 4000)^2 + (month2 - 4000)^2 + ... + (month11 - 4000)^2 + (4000 - 4000)^2}{12} } = ?[/tex]

Can you calculate this?

Hmm. Am I suppose to guess what's in month 1, 2, 3... etc? It's as though I have 11 unknowns in one equation!

Femme_physics said:
Hmm. Am I suppose to guess what's in month 1, 2, 3... etc? It's as though I have 11 unknowns in one equation!

Yes, you have 11 unknowns in one equation. :)

But suppose we define:
[tex]S =(month1 - 4000)^2 + (month2 - 4000)^2 + ... + (month11 - 4000)^2[/tex]

and substitute that.
Suddenly those 11 unknowns have become 1 unknown! :smile:

Do I plug it in like that? I get zero! (no scanner, but I got a lame webcam :D - hope img is clear)

Attachments

• eqget.jpg
    eqget.jpg
    4 KB · Views: 314
Femme_physics said:
Do I plug it in like that? I get zero! (no scanner, but I got a lame webcam :D - hope img is clear)

The image is clear :)

[edit] Seems you plugged the webcam in ok! :smile: [/edit]

It seems right, although you left off the square root.
Furthermore you have another equation from which you can deduce the value of S.

Last edited:
:)

Alright, I'll try the 1st equation first.
It seems right, although you left off the square root.
So I'm left with an unknown, under a square root, divided by 12 equals 0?

That's...still S = zero, no?

Femme_physics said:
:)

Alright, I'll try the 1st equation first.

So I'm left with an unknown, under a square root, divided by 12 equals 0?

That's...still S = zero, no?

Uhh, no it does not equal 0, and neither does S.

[edit]What you wrote down, is what you need to calculate. The outcome is as yet unknown.[/edit]

Last edited:
According to my calculations, S must equal zero for the equation to make any sense. Either my algebra is messed, or I'm not sure what...

Attachments

• equalzero.jpg
    equalzero.jpg
    7.5 KB · Views: 323
Femme_physics said:
According to my calculations, S must equal zero for the equation to make any sense. Either my algebra is messed, or I'm not sure what...

You're setting the equation to zero, which it is not.

Try this equation:
[tex]
\sqrt{ \frac{S}{11} } = 100
[/tex]

Can you solve it for S?

And then substitute that value of S in your expression. You'll find it is not zero, but the answer you're looking for.

Btw, be careful with the square root symbol. In your last scan you put down the square root sign wrong.

Let's see. If I do the manipulation it's

s/11 = 1002
s/11 = 10000
s = 10000 x 11
s = 110000

Right?

Femme_physics said:
Let's see. If I do the manipulation it's

s/11 = 1002
s/11 = 10000
s = 10000 x 11
s = 110000

Right?

Right! :smile:

So according to my calculation, if we add something that adds up to 0, then all we need to do is110000/12 = 9166.6666

Take the square root of it and...

S = 95.742

Femme_physics said:
So according to my calculation, if we add something that adds up to 0, then all we need to do is

110000/12 = 9166.6666

Take the square root of it and...

S = 95.742

Yep! :smile:

Does it match your solution manual?

I love hearing a string of "yep!" with that smiley ;)

And yes, it does match :) You rock!

Femme_physics said:
I love hearing a string of "yep!" with that smiley ;)

And yes, it does match :)

You rock!

You have just ensured yourself of my continued attention! :smile:
Let's rock together! :cool:

Related to Easy standard deviation problem

What is standard deviation and why is it important?

Standard deviation is a measure of how spread out a set of data is from its mean. It tells us how much the data deviates from the average. It is important because it helps us understand the variability and distribution of data, and is a key component in statistical analysis and research.

How do you calculate standard deviation?

To calculate standard deviation, you first need to find the mean of the data. Then, for each data point, you subtract the mean and square the result. Next, you add up all the squared differences and divide by the total number of data points. Finally, take the square root of this value to get the standard deviation.

What is the difference between population and sample standard deviation?

Population standard deviation is used to measure the spread of a data set that includes all members of a population, while sample standard deviation is used to measure the spread of a subset of a population. Sample standard deviation is typically used when the population is too large to measure or when it is not feasible to measure the entire population.

How does standard deviation relate to the normal distribution?

The normal distribution, also known as the Gaussian distribution, is a probability distribution that is commonly seen in nature and in many statistical analyses. Standard deviation is a key parameter in the normal distribution, as it is used to describe the spread of data around the mean. In a normal distribution, about 68% of the data falls within one standard deviation from the mean, and about 95% falls within two standard deviations.

How can standard deviation be used in real-life situations?

Standard deviation can be used in many real-life situations, such as measuring the variability of stock prices, evaluating the performance of athletes, or determining the accuracy of test scores. It can also be used to compare the spread of data between different groups or to track changes over time. In general, standard deviation is a useful tool for understanding and analyzing data in a wide range of fields.