Easy-to-Follow Proofs for Symplectic Manifolds: A Comprehensive Resource

In summary, the conversation discussed various resources for learning about symplectic manifolds, with Arnold's book being considered too difficult for the individual asking for recommendations. The suggestions included "Lectures on Symplectic Geometry" by Anna Canna Da Silva, "Classical Dynamical Systems" by Walter Thirring, and "Visual Geometry and Topology" by Fomenko. It was also mentioned that understanding the definition of a symplectic manifold requires a good deal of mathematical knowledge.
Nusc
What's a really good resources with numerous easy-to-follow proofs to theorems on symplectic manifolds?

Arnold is too difficult.

Physics news on Phys.org
The most basic book is probably Lectures on Symplectic Geometry by Anna Canna Da Silva.

The big book about classical machanics by Abraham and Marsden is also basic but of course it only covers stuff pertinent to classical mechanics.

After that there is Introduction to Symplectic Topology by Salamon and McDuff but this is already more difficult.

I picked up the one by Marsden, the rest seemed to advanced for me.

What is the source of your interest in symplectic geometry? Do you want to learn about the symplectic formulation of mechanics?

Well I can't follow Arnold so I need a better reference.

I am just curious which aspects of symplectic geometry you are interested in learning and why.

Symplectic formualtion of mechanics to answer ur question.

I need to understand ch. 8 in arnold

Try Walter Thirring's "Classical Dynamical Systems" and Fomenko's "Visual Geometry and Topology" .

ok, well good luck with marsden!

Arnold is as basic as it gets, if you want to understand it mathematically. Understanding the definition of a symplectic manifold requires a good deal of math. Since there's no equivalent definition that doesn't require a lot of heavy math, you may be out of luck.

Related to Easy-to-Follow Proofs for Symplectic Manifolds: A Comprehensive Resource

1. What is a symplectic manifold?

A symplectic manifold is a mathematical object that represents a smooth space with a specific geometric structure called a symplectic structure. This structure allows for the definition of a special kind of vector field, called a symplectic vector field, which preserves the symplectic structure.

2. What are some examples of symplectic manifolds?

Examples of symplectic manifolds include the phase space of a mechanical system, the cotangent bundle of a smooth manifold, and the space of orbits of a group action.

3. How are symplectic manifolds related to Hamiltonian mechanics?

Symplectic manifolds play a crucial role in Hamiltonian mechanics, as they provide a geometric framework for studying systems with conserved quantities and Hamiltonian dynamics. In fact, every symplectic manifold can be viewed as a phase space for a Hamiltonian system.

4. What is a symplectomorphism?

A symplectomorphism is a diffeomorphism (a smooth bijective map) between two symplectic manifolds that preserves the symplectic structure. In other words, it is a map that preserves the geometric properties of the symplectic manifold.

5. How are symplectic manifolds different from other types of manifolds?

Symplectic manifolds are different from other types of manifolds, such as Riemannian manifolds, in that they have a non-degenerate, closed 2-form, known as the symplectic form, which defines the symplectic structure. This structure is important in studying Hamiltonian systems and has many applications in physics and mathematics.