Effect of Instantaneous Velocity Change on Orbit

In summary, the conversation revolved around a problem involving a particle of mass m in circular orbit around a larger mass M, with a sudden increase in velocity by a factor of α. The goal was to compute the major axis, minor axis, pericentre distance, and apocentre distance for the new orbit in terms of R and α alone. The vis-viva equation was used to find the semi-major axis, and it was determined that the semi-minor axis could be found by using the eccentricity of the new elliptical orbit. It was then determined that the new orbit would start at periapsis due to the sudden increase in velocity, and closed orbits will always repeat.
PChar

Homework Statement

A small particle of mass m is on a circular orbit of radius R around
a much larger mass M. Suppose we suddenly increase the speed at which the mass m is moving
by a factor (that is, v[itex]_{final}[/itex] = α * v[itex]_{initial}[/itex], with α > 1). Compute the major axis, minor axis,
pericentre distance, and apocentre distance for the new orbit; express your answers in terms
of R and α alone

Homework Equations

Vis-Viva Equation:

(αv)[itex]_{initial}[/itex][itex]^{2}[/itex] = GM [ [itex]\frac{2}{R}[/itex] - [itex]\frac{1}{a}[/itex] ]

Speed of circular orbit:

v[itex]_{initial}[/itex] = [itex]\sqrt{\frac{GM}{R}}[/itex]

Pericentre distance:

a(1 - e)

Apocentre distance:

a(1 + e)

Semi-minor axis:

[itex]b^{2}=a^{2}(1-e^{2})[/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution

By inserting the initial orbital speed into the vis-viva equation I was able to find the semi-major axis as required:

a = [itex]\frac{R}{2-α^{2}}[/itex]

The problem I'm having now is that I can't find the semi-minor axis without the eccentricity of the new elliptical orbit, or the distance between the two foci, and I can't find a way to eliminate them.

Physics news on Phys.org
have you drawn a diagram and labeled everything?

Yeah, but it's hasn't really helped any more than trying to manipulate formulas.

I have an idea rolling around that the since the velocity increased while the particle was at a Radius of R, then R will be its pericenter, which would allow me to find the eccentricity, but I'm not sure if that's right, or how to justify it if it is.

Well at the point it obtains an instantaneous velocity increase it moves off tangent to the circle it was already traveling in, faster than it was going so the inward pull of the gravity will not pull it back to the original path. This means it's not going to get any closer to the larger mass so it's not going to go any faster so it has to be the position closest to the large mass at that point. So go from there.

PChar said:
I have an idea rolling around that the since the velocity increased while the particle was at a Radius of R, then R will be its pericenter, which would allow me to find the eccentricity, but I'm not sure if that's right, or how to justify it if it is.

It's a good idea, and a correct one. The particle starts in a circular orbit of radius R and you're adding to its velocity (KE) in a direction tangent to the circle. There are only two places in an elliptical orbit where the velocity is tangent to the radius vector, and that's at periapsis and apoapsis, and since closed orbits repeat it must be one or the other. Since the new velocity is greater than that required for circular motion, the radius must be increasing from that point as time increases and so it's at periapsis.

If it turns out that the new orbit is not closed (what values of [itex] \alpha [/itex] will cause this?) then indeed, periapsis is the only choice.

Thanks for the help guys.

Glad you got it.

Related to Effect of Instantaneous Velocity Change on Orbit

1. How does a change in instantaneous velocity affect an orbit?

When an object in orbit experiences a change in instantaneous velocity, its orbit will also change. This can result in a change in the shape, size, or orientation of the orbit.

2. What factors influence the effect of instantaneous velocity change on orbit?

The magnitude and direction of the velocity change, as well as the mass and distance of the object being orbited, all play a role in determining the effect of instantaneous velocity change on an orbit.

3. Can a small change in instantaneous velocity significantly alter an orbit?

Yes, even a small change in instantaneous velocity can have a significant impact on an orbit. This is because orbital trajectories are highly sensitive to changes in velocity.

4. How does a change in instantaneous velocity affect the energy of an orbit?

A change in instantaneous velocity will also result in a change in the energy of an orbit. An increase in velocity will increase the orbital energy, while a decrease in velocity will decrease the orbital energy.

5. Is it possible to reverse the effect of instantaneous velocity change on an orbit?

Yes, it is possible to reverse the effect of instantaneous velocity change on an orbit by applying a velocity change in the opposite direction. This can be done through various methods such as using thrusters or gravitational assists from other objects.