Effect of spring on dynamic load

In summary, the problem involves a prismatic bar with a flange on the bottom, a spring installed at the bottom of the bar, and a sliding collar of mass m dropping from a height h onto the spring. The goal is to determine the maximum elongation of the bar, assuming no energy losses and disregarding the masses of the spring, flange, and bar. The solution involves considering the system as two springs in series and using the equation k_bar = E*A/L. However, the exact behavior of the two springs under the dynamic load is unclear and further analysis is needed. The kinetic energy of the mass at the instant it hits the spring may be a key factor in determining the maximum elongation.
GunnaSix

Homework Statement

A prismatic bar (with flange on bottom) has length L, diameter d (so A=(pi/4)d^2), and modulus of elasticity E. A spring of stiffness k is installed at the bottom of the bar (on top of flange). A sliding collar of mass m drops from a height h (above the top of the spring) onto the spring. Determine the maximum elongation delta_max of the bar. Assume no energy losses and disregard the masses of the spring, flange, and bar.

2. The attempt at a solution

It seems to me like this system is really just equivalent to two springs in series (the bar could be considered to be in compression under the spring, and the analysis would be the same). We can find k_bar = E*A/L. I'm stuck here though. How do the two springs react to the dynamic load? At equilibrium we will end up with delta_bar/delta_spring=k_spring/k_bar, but my intuition tells me that isn't what's going on dynamically.

Physics news on Phys.org
I think I should use the kinetic energy of the mass at the instant it hits the spring, but I'm not sure how to plug that into an equation.

Related to Effect of spring on dynamic load

1. How does the stiffness of a spring affect the dynamic load?

The stiffness of a spring directly affects the dynamic load by determining how much force is required to compress or stretch the spring. A stiffer spring will require more force to change its length, resulting in a higher dynamic load. On the other hand, a less stiff spring will require less force and result in a lower dynamic load.

2. What is the relationship between the spring constant and dynamic load?

The spring constant, also known as the stiffness coefficient, is directly proportional to the dynamic load. This means that as the spring constant increases, the dynamic load also increases. Similarly, as the spring constant decreases, the dynamic load decreases.

3. How does the frequency of a spring affect the dynamic load?

The frequency of a spring, or the rate at which it oscillates, has an inverse relationship with the dynamic load. This means that as the frequency increases, the dynamic load decreases, and vice versa. This is because a higher frequency allows the spring to absorb and distribute the load more efficiently, resulting in a lower dynamic load.

4. Can the length of a spring affect the dynamic load?

Yes, the length of a spring can have an impact on the dynamic load. A longer spring will have a lower stiffness, resulting in a lower dynamic load. On the other hand, a shorter spring will have a higher stiffness and result in a higher dynamic load.

5. How does the type of material used in a spring affect the dynamic load?

The type of material used in a spring can greatly affect the dynamic load. Different materials have different stiffness values, which directly impact the dynamic load. For example, a steel spring will have a higher stiffness and result in a higher dynamic load compared to a rubber spring, which has a lower stiffness and results in a lower dynamic load.