Efficiently Solving a System of Equations for Physics Problems

• Thread starter Frank Einstein
  • Start date
In summary, the student is trying to solve a system of equations that has the following form:h+k+l=2n+1with n=0,1,2,3...ei(π/2)(h+k+l)+ei(π/2)(3h+3k+l)+ei(π/2)(3h+k+3l)+ei(π/2)(h+3k+3l)=0The student has tried to solve this equation by taking the common factor ei(π/2) out and has arrived at the following equation:e(h+k+l)+e(3h+3
Frank Einstein

Homework Statement

Hi everybody, I am trying to find the solution to this system of equations for a bigger physics problem:

h+k+l=2n+1 with n=0,1,2,3...
ei(π/2)(h+k+l)+ei(π/2)(3h+3k+l)+ei(π/2)(3h+k+3l)+ei(π/2)(h+3k+3l)=0

Homework Equations

None

The Attempt at a Solution

Ihave tried to solve it by taking the common factor ei(π/2) out and trying to solve
e(h+k+l)+e(3h+3k+l)+e(3h+k+3l)+e(h+3k+3l)=0 by using h+k+l=0; then, I arrive to 1+e2k+2h+e2h+2l+e2k+2l=0.

From here I don't know how to keep going, so if anybody could point me what to do next it wolud be very helpfull.

Thanks for reading.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Frank Einstein said:
Ihave tried to solve it by taking the common factor ei(π/2) out and trying to solve
That is a factor of ei(π/2)+x, not of ei(π/2)x.

Frank Einstein said:

Homework Statement

Hi everybody, I am trying to find the solution to this system of equations for a bigger physics problem:

To make these equal to zero, you need to enforce conditions on the periodic functions--both real and imaginary.
##\cos( \frac{ \pi(h+k+l)}{2} ) + \cos( \frac{ \pi(3h+3k+l)}{2} )+\cos( \frac{ \pi(3h+k+3l)}{2} )+\cos( \frac{ \pi(h+3k+3l)}{2} ) =0##
and
##\sin( \frac{ \pi(h+k+l)}{2} ) + \sin( \frac{ \pi(3h+3k+l)}{2} )+\sin( \frac{ \pi(3h+k+3l)}{2} )+\sin( \frac{ \pi(h+3k+3l)}{2} ) =0.##

From these, you should be able to say something about the cases where this must be true.

Likes Frank Einstein
Think of these as :
##\cos( \frac{ \pi(h+k+l)}{2} ) + \cos( \frac{ \pi(h+k+l)}{2} +(h+k)\pi )+\cos( \frac{ \pi(h+k+l)}{2}+ (h+l)\pi )+\cos( \frac{ \pi(h+k+l)}{2}+(k+l)\pi ) =0##
and
##\sin( \frac{ \pi(h+k+l)}{2} ) + \sin( \frac{ \pi(h+k+l)}{2} +(h+k)\pi )+\sin( \frac{ \pi(h+k+l)}{2}+ (h+l)\pi )+\sin( \frac{ \pi(h+k+l)}{2}+(k+l)\pi ) =0.##

Likes Frank Einstein
Frank Einstein said:

Homework Statement

Homework Equations

None

The Attempt at a Solution

e(h+k+l)+e(3h+3k+l)+e(3h+k+3l)+e(h+3k+3l)=0 by using h+k+l=0; then, I arrive to 1+e2k+2h+e2h+2l+e2k+2l=0.

From here I don't know how to keep going, so if anybody could point me what to do next it wolud be very helpfull.

Thanks for reading.

Please do not use all bold fonts for your solution; it looks like you are yelling at us!
Mod note: Removed excess bold font

Anyway, if you let ##m = 2n + 1##, and if you note that ##h+k+l = m## implies
[tex] \frac{i \pi}{2} (3h+3k+l) = \frac{i \pi}{2} (3h + 3k + 3l - 2l) = \frac{i \pi}{2} 3m - i \pi l, [/tex]
and so forth, you get a much simpler problem, especially if you multiply through by ##e^{-3 m \pi i/2}##.

I would suggest you look at some of the initial cases ##m = 1, 3, 5, \ldots## separately, until you have gained sufficient insight into the nature of the solution for general odd ##m##.

Last edited by a moderator:
Likes Frank Einstein
Thank you very much for your anwsers, guess I will be able to proper solve it.

Related to Efficiently Solving a System of Equations for Physics Problems

1. How do I know when to use a system of equations to solve a physics problem?

A system of equations is typically used when there are multiple unknown quantities in a problem that can be related to each other through equations. In physics, this often occurs when dealing with motion, forces, or energy.

2. What is the most efficient method for solving a system of equations for a physics problem?

The most efficient method for solving a system of equations depends on the specific problem and the given equations. In general, it is helpful to first identify any equations that can be simplified or rearranged to eliminate variables. Then, use substitution or elimination to solve for the remaining variables.

3. Can I use a calculator to solve a system of equations for a physics problem?

Yes, calculators can be useful for solving systems of equations in physics, especially when dealing with equations that involve exponents or other complex operations. However, it is important to make sure that the equations are entered correctly and that the calculator is set to the appropriate mode (i.e. degrees vs. radians).

4. How many equations do I need in a system to solve for all the unknown quantities in a physics problem?

The number of equations needed depends on the number of unknown quantities in the problem. In general, you will need at least the same number of equations as there are unknowns. However, having more equations than unknowns can also be helpful in some cases, as it allows for a more accurate and precise solution.

5. Are there any common mistakes to avoid when solving a system of equations for a physics problem?

One common mistake is forgetting to properly label and keep track of the units for each variable in the equations. It is important to use consistent units throughout the problem and to convert between units when necessary. Another mistake is making calculation errors, so it is always a good idea to double-check your work and use significant figures appropriately.