Einstein Tensor Divergence Proof: How to Show it is Divergence-Free?

In summary: So, it's better to avoid repeated indices to prevent confusion.In summary, the conversation was about proving the divergence-free property of the Einstein tensor. The correct method involves using the second Bianchi identity of the Riemann tensor and avoiding repeated indices to prevent confusion.
teddd
Hi everyone!
I'm having a lillle problem proving that the einstein tensor is divergence free!
I don't know how to begin, i start with
[tex]\nabla_\mu G^{\mu\nu}=\nabla_{\mu}(R^ {\mu\nu} -\frac{1}{2}g^{\mu\nu}R)[/tex]
i tried to do [tex]\nabla_\mu G^{\mu\nu}=\nabla_{\mu}g^{\mu\nu}(g_{\mu\nu}R^{\mu\nu}-\frac{1}{2}R)[/tex]
(by the way, is that right? I guess no becaouse then I get to [tex]g^{mu\nu}(\nabla_{\mu}(R-\frac{1}{2}R))=\frac{1}{2}g^{\mu\nu}\frac{\partial R}{\partial \mu}[/tex] which i guess never goes to zero!)can you help me out?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
You index manipulations are incorrect. You can't have an index repeated more than twice.

The way to get the divergence of the Einstein tensor is to start with the second Bianchi identity of the Riemann tensor, and then contract the upper index with one of the lower ones.

Thanks pal, I had already figured the doubly contracted Bianchi identity thing out, but I wanted to know where was the mistake in that!

But why I can't repeat an index more than twice? I guess becaouse it clashes against the summation convention isnt'it?

Yes. In that case, it's not clear over which indices you should sum.

Related to Einstein Tensor Divergence Proof: How to Show it is Divergence-Free?

What is Einstein's tensor divergence?

Einstein's tensor divergence is a mathematical concept in the field of general relativity, developed by Albert Einstein. It is a measure of the change in the gravitational field at a specific point in space and time.

How is Einstein's tensor divergence calculated?

Einstein's tensor divergence is calculated by taking the divergence of the Einstein field equations, which relate the curvature of space-time to the distribution of matter and energy.

What does Einstein's tensor divergence tell us about the universe?

Einstein's tensor divergence is a key component in understanding the behavior of the universe, as it helps us to model the distribution of matter and energy and how it affects the curvature of space-time.

Why is Einstein's tensor divergence important?

Einstein's tensor divergence is important because it allows us to make predictions about the universe, such as the behavior of gravitational waves and the expansion of the universe. It also helps us to understand the fundamental principles of general relativity.

How does Einstein's tensor divergence relate to other mathematical concepts?

Einstein's tensor divergence is closely related to other mathematical concepts, such as the gradient, divergence, and curl. It is also related to the concept of spacetime curvature, which is a fundamental aspect of general relativity.