Ejected out from an accelerating spaceship

brotherbobby
Homework Statement
Bond and Scaramanga get into a helicopter which begins to accelerate upward at ##a\;\text{m/s}^2## for ##3\;\text{s}## at which point Scaramanga gets thrown out. He bites the dust ##4.92\;\text{s}## after liftoff. (i) What was ##a##? (ii) From what height did Scaramanga get ejected?
Relevant Equations
The kinematic equations for uniform acceleration ##a_0## where all terms have their usual meanings. Just note that ##x(t_0)=x_0## and that ##v(t_0)=v_0##. We can choose ##t_0=0## here.
\begin{align}
&v(t)=v_0+a_0(t-t_0)\\
&x=x_0+v_0(t-t_0)+\dfrac{1}{2}a_0(t-t_0)^2\\
&v^2(x)=v^2_0+2a_0(x-x_0)\\
\end{align}
1706995101569.png
Let me copy and paste the problem as it appeared in the text to the right.

1706995131145.png
I start by drawing the diagram of the problem. Scaramanga (drawn as S) gets thrown out with a speed ##v_0## at time ##t_1=3\;\text{s}## from the helicopter which is accelerating at ##a\;\text{m/s}^2## starting from rest from the ground. After a time of ##t_2=1.92\;\text{s}## from then, S reaches the ground. Using equation ##(2)## above, we can write $$-h=v_0t_2-\frac{1}{2}gt_2^2\qquad\text{(4)}$$where using ##(1)##, ##v_0=at_1## and using ##(2)## again ##h=\frac{1}{2}at_1^2##.
Substituting in ##(4)##,
\begin{align*}
-\frac{1}{2}at_1^2 &= at_1t_2-\frac{1}{2}gt_2^2\\
\Rightarrow \frac{1}{2}gt_2^2 &= at_1t_2+\frac{1}{2}at_1^2\\
\Rightarrow a(t_1t_2+\frac{1}{2}t_1^2) &=\frac{1}{2}gt_2^2\\
\Rightarrow at_1(2t_2+t_1)&=gt_2^2\\
\Rightarrow a &= \dfrac{gt_2^2}{t_1(2t_2+t_1)}\\
\Rightarrow a &= \dfrac{10\times 1.92^2}{3(2\times 1.92+3)}\\
\Rightarrow &\boxed{a=2.54\;\text{m/s}^2}
\end{align*}
The height at which the throwing off took place : ##h = \frac{1}{2}at_1^2=\frac{1}{2}\times 2.54\times 3^2=\boxed{11.43\;\text{m}}##

1706995168209.png
Doubt : The problems don't match with those in the text that I copy and paste to the right.

Request : I'd like to know where have I gone wrong. Was it in the meaning of the term "liftoff"?

Physics news on Phys.org
brotherbobby said:
Homework Statement: Bond and Scaramanga get into a helicopter which begins to accelerate upward at ##a\;\text{m/s}^2## for ##3\;\text{s}## at which point Scaramanga gets thrown out. He bites the dust ##4.92\;\text{s}## after liftoff. (i) What was ##a##? (ii) From what height did Scaramanga get ejected?
Relevant Equations: The kinematic equations for uniform acceleration ##a_0## where all terms have their usual meanings. Just note that ##x(t_0)=x_0## and that ##v(t_0)=v_0##. We can choose ##t_0=0## here.
\begin{align}
&v(t)=v_0+a_0(t-t_0)\\
&x=x_0+v_0(t-t_0)+\dfrac{1}{2}a_0(t-t_0)^2\\
&v^2(x)=v^2_0+2a_0(x-x_0)\\
\end{align}

View attachment 339718Let me copy and paste the problem as it appeared in the text to the right.

View attachment 339719I start by drawing the diagram of the problem. Scaramanga (drawn as S) gets thrown out with a speed ##v_0## at time ##t_1=3\;\text{s}## from the helicopter which is accelerating at ##a\;\text{m/s}^2## starting from rest from the ground. After a time of ##t_2=1.92\;\text{s}## from then, S reaches the ground. Using equation ##(2)## above, we can write $$-h=v_0t_2-\frac{1}{2}gt_2^2\qquad\text{(4)}$$where using ##(1)##, ##v_0=at_1## and using ##(2)## again ##h=\frac{1}{2}at_1^2##.
Substituting in ##(4)##,
\begin{align*}
-\frac{1}{2}at_1^2 &= at_1t_2-\frac{1}{2}gt_2^2\\
\Rightarrow \frac{1}{2}gt_2^2 &= at_1t_2+\frac{1}{2}at_1^2\\
\Rightarrow a(t_1t_2+\frac{1}{2}t_1^2) &=\frac{1}{2}gt_2^2\\
\Rightarrow at_1(2t_2+t_1)&=gt_2^2\\
\Rightarrow a &= \dfrac{gt_2^2}{t_1(2t_2+t_1)}\\
\Rightarrow a &= \dfrac{10\times 1.92^2}{3(2\times 1.92+3)}\\
\Rightarrow &\boxed{a=2.54\;\text{m/s}^2}
\end{align*}
The height at which the throwing off took place : ##h = \frac{1}{2}at_1^2=\frac{1}{2}\times 2.54\times 3^2=\boxed{11.43\;\text{m}}##

View attachment 339720Doubt : The problems don't match with those in the text that I copy and paste to the right.

Request : I'd like to know where have I gone wrong. Was it in the meaning of the term "liftoff"?
Your interpretation seems correct to me.

Likes PeroK, MatinSAR and TSny
@brotherbobby : The answers given in the text appear to come from assuming that S has zero velocity relative to the ground just after being thrown out of the helicopter. We don't have information about how S was thrown out. But, your assumption that S has zero velocity relative to the helicopter seems more reasonable. I agree with your answers.

Likes MatinSAR and erobz
Is this yet another question concocted by someone who doesn't actually understand physics?

Likes erobz
PeroK said:
Is this yet another question concocted by someone who doesn't actually understand physics?
The flaw in the supposed answer has been discussed here. After solving this problem, I agree with EulerJr's numerical answer of 1.76 m/s2 in the reddit.com link and disagree with @brotherbobby's answer of 2.54 m/s2.

Likes PeroK and TSny
kuruman said:
The flaw in the supposed answer has been discussed here. After solving this problem, I agree with EulerJr's numerical answer of 1.76 m/s2 in the reddit.com link and disagree with @brotherbobby's answer of 2.54 m/s2.
Yes, am sorry, I made calculation errors. The acceleration of the spaceship is ##a = 1.76\;\rm{m/s^2}## and the height of ejection is ##\dfrac{1}{2}\times 1.76\times 3^2 = \rm{7.92\; m}##.

The crucial point of the exercise was the author's mistake. He assumed that an object thrown out of a moving vehicle is at rest relative to ground and not at rest relative to the vehicle.

Attachments

• 1707152566743.png
    1707152566743.png
    6.6 KB · Views: 23
Likes TSny, kuruman and erobz

Related to Ejected out from an accelerating spaceship

1. What happens if someone is ejected out from an accelerating spaceship?

When someone is ejected out from an accelerating spaceship, they will continue to move in the same direction and at the same speed as the spaceship was moving at the time of ejection. This is due to the principle of inertia, which states that an object in motion will remain in motion unless acted upon by an external force.

2. Will the person ejected out from an accelerating spaceship be able to return to the spaceship?

It would be extremely difficult for a person ejected out from an accelerating spaceship to return to the spaceship. The spaceship would continue to accelerate away from the person, making it nearly impossible for them to catch up. Additionally, without any means of propulsion, the person would continue to drift further away from the spaceship.

3. What would happen to the person ejected out from an accelerating spaceship in the vacuum of space?

In the vacuum of space, the person ejected out from an accelerating spaceship would continue to move in the same direction and at the same speed as the spaceship. Without any external forces acting upon them, they would continue on their trajectory indefinitely, eventually drifting further and further away from the spaceship.

4. Would the person ejected out from an accelerating spaceship survive in space?

The survival of a person ejected out from an accelerating spaceship in space would depend on various factors, such as the availability of oxygen, protection from radiation, and access to food and water. Without proper equipment and supplies, the person would likely not survive for an extended period of time in the harsh conditions of space.

5. Is there any way for a person ejected out from an accelerating spaceship to be rescued?

Rescuing a person ejected out from an accelerating spaceship would be extremely challenging, as the person would be moving at high speeds and drifting further away from the spaceship. Without any means of propulsion or communication, it would be difficult for the spaceship to locate and retrieve the person. In most cases, the chances of successfully rescuing someone ejected out from an accelerating spaceship would be very slim.