Electric Potential Difference on a Cone

In summary, the problem is asking for the potential difference between two points on a conical surface with a given surface charge. The approach used is to use the equation V(R) = sigma/4pi*epsilon_0 * integral of dA/R. The solution involves finding the differential area of the cone, which can be represented by multiplying in terms of the angle that determines the fraction of area. The main equation then becomes an integral of the differential area over the surface of the cone. However, this integral does not converge, so another approach is suggested, which involves slicing the cone into rings and integrating their contributions.
grindfreak

Homework Statement

I'm working out of Griffith's "Intro to Electrodynamics" and the problem states: "A conical surface (an empty ice-cream cone) carries a surface charge [tex]\sigma[/tex]. The height of the cone is h as is the radius of the top. Find the potential difference between points a (the vertex) and b (the center of the top).

2. Homework Equations and Attempt at a solution
So, since this is the chapter that I'm in, I'm going to use
[tex]\[V(R)=\frac{\sigma }{4\pi \varepsilon _{0}}\int _{S}\frac{da{}'}{R}\][/tex].
Now since a is at the vertex I chose
[tex]\[\vec{a}=0\][/tex] and [tex]\[\vec{b}=h\hat{z}\][/tex].
Thus the equation would become
[tex]\[V(\mathbf{b})-V(\mathbf{a})=\frac{\sigma }{4\pi \varepsilon _{0}}\int _{S}\left [ \frac{{da}'}{\sqrt{(h-{z}')^2+{s}'^2}} -\frac{{da}'}{\sqrt{{z}'^2+{s}'^2}}\right ]\][/tex]
Now da' is what I was having a little trouble attaining, so I thought the best place to start would be with the surface area of the cone:
[tex]\[a'=\pi s\sqrt{s^2+z^2}\][/tex]
but since the radius s is equal to the height z in our case the formula becomes
[tex]\[a'=\pi s\sqrt{s^2+s^2}=\sqrt{2}\pi s^2\][/tex].
Now since fractions of this area can be represented by multiplying in terms of the angle that determines the fraction of area,
[tex]\[\frac{\theta }{2\pi }\][/tex].
Thus [tex]\[a'=(\sqrt{2}\pi s^2)\cdot (\frac{\theta }{2\pi })=\frac{\sqrt{2}}{2}s^2\theta \][/tex]
and if I consider the angle to be small
[tex]\[a'=\frac{\sqrt{2}}{2}s^2d\theta \][/tex].
Now to find the differential area I should subtract to get
[tex]\[da'=\frac{\sqrt{2}}{2}(s+ds)^2d\theta -\frac{\sqrt{2}}{2}s^2d\theta=\frac{\sqrt{2}}{2}d\theta(s^2+sds+ds^2-s^2)=\frac{\sqrt{2}}{2}sdsd\theta\]
[/tex]
since ds^2 is to small to matter.
The main equation then becomes:
[tex]\[V(\mathbf{b})-V(\mathbf{a})=\frac{\sigma }{4\pi \varepsilon _{0}}\int _{S}\left [ \frac{{da}'}{\sqrt{(h-{z}')^2+{s}'^2}} -\frac{{da}'}{\sqrt{{z}'^2+{s}'^2}}\right ]=\frac{\sigma }{4\pi \varepsilon _{0}}\int _{S}\left [ \frac{1}{\sqrt{(h-{s}')^2+{s}'^2}} -\frac{1}{\sqrt{{s}'^2+{s}'^2}}\right ](\frac{\sqrt{2}}{2}{s}'{ds}'{d\theta}' )\][/tex] [tex]\[=\frac{\sqrt{2}\sigma }{8\pi \varepsilon _{0}}\int_{0}^{2\pi }\int_{0}^{h}\left ( \frac{{s}'}{\sqrt{(h-{s}')^2+{s}'^2}}-\frac{\sqrt{2}}{2} \right ){ds}'{d\theta}' \][/tex]
[tex]\[=\frac{\sqrt{2}\sigma }{4\varepsilon _{0}} [(-hln({s}'-h)+\frac{{s}'^3}{3}+{s}')|_{0}^{h}-\frac{\sqrt{2}}{2}h]\][/tex]
but the above does not converge when evaluated so I'm at a loss. This isn't for a class or anything, I'm just self studying so answer at your convenience.

Physics news on Phys.org
Try slicing the cone along the vertical axis into rings of area [itex]dA = 2\pi s dz[/itex] where s = radius of the ring at height z, which is a linear function of z. So each ring carries a charge that is proportional to z. That should be easy to integrate.

AM

Related to Electric Potential Difference on a Cone

1. What is electric potential difference on a cone?

Electric potential difference on a cone refers to the change in electric potential energy per unit charge as one moves from one point to another on the surface of a cone. It is a measure of the work done per unit charge to move the charge from one point to another on the cone surface.

2. How is electric potential difference on a cone calculated?

The electric potential difference on a cone is calculated using the formula V = kQ/r, where V is the potential difference, k is the Coulomb's constant, Q is the charge, and r is the distance from the apex of the cone to the point of interest on the surface.

3. What factors affect the electric potential difference on a cone?

The electric potential difference on a cone is affected by the charge of the cone, the distance from the apex of the cone, and the surrounding medium. It is also affected by the shape and size of the cone, as well as any external electric fields present.

4. How is electric potential difference on a cone related to electric field?

The electric potential difference on a cone is related to the electric field by the formula E = -dV/dr, where E is the electric field, V is the potential difference, and r is the distance from the apex of the cone. This means that the electric field is the negative gradient of the potential difference.

5. What are some practical applications of electric potential difference on a cone?

Electric potential difference on a cone has several practical applications, such as in electrostatic painting, where charged particles are attracted to the cone's surface due to the potential difference. It is also used in electrostatic precipitators, which remove particles from industrial exhaust gases, and in electrohydrodynamics, where the potential difference on a cone is used to create fluid flow.