Electrical - Missing Capacitor value

In summary, a student is given the values for two capacitors and the reactance for one of them, and is asked to find the value of the third capacitor. After some calculations and guidance, the student is still unsure of how to proceed.
razin

Homework Statement

Need to find C1
Whats known: VS: 5v rms / C1=? , C2=.0022uf , C3=.0015uf Xc3= 750Ω

problem-1.jpg

The Attempt at a Solution

I would have thought I would need the frequency to start this, but it's not provided.
Stumped on where to even start on this.

Physics news on Phys.org
You're given Xc3 and C3. That should let you find the frequency :wink:

gneill said:
You're given Xc3 and C3. That should let you find the frequency :wink:

Hmm, ok.
This is what I calculated for freq. then, but seems high.
_____1_______
2∏(.0015)(750)

=141471hz

If correct, would give me 513Ω XC for C2.
________1_________
2∏(141.5khz)(.0022uf)

From here I'm lost. How to get C1 still eludes me.

razin said:
Hmm, ok.
This is what I calculated for freq. then, but seems high.
_____1_______
2∏(.0015)(750)

=141471hz

If correct, would give me 513Ω XC for C2.
________1_________
2∏(141.5khz)(.0022uf)

From here I'm lost. How to get C1 still eludes me.

The frequency is actually much higher than you think! Remember, the capacitor values are given in picofarads.

The scale of frequency won't affect your Xc for C2 though, as long as you've faithfully made the same mistake throughout the calculations! 513Ω is a tad high, but that's attributable to rounding errors (maybe you'll want to keep a few more digits in your intermediate results).

Note that you've also been given a current value. With that current value you should be able to determine the voltage that appears across C3 (and by extension C2 since it's in parallel with C3). What then is the current through C2?

I understand that the missing information (frequency) is crucial in solving this problem. Without it, we cannot accurately calculate the value of C1. I would recommend reaching out to the person who provided this problem and ask for the frequency. Once we have that information, we can use the formula Xc = 1/(2πfC) to solve for C1. Additionally, it would be helpful to have a schematic or diagram of the circuit to better understand the context of this problem.

Related to Electrical - Missing Capacitor value

1. What is a capacitor and why is it important in electrical circuits?

A capacitor is an electrical component that stores electrical charge and is used to regulate the flow of current in a circuit. It is important because it helps stabilize the voltage in a circuit and can also be used for filtering and timing purposes.

2. How do I determine the missing value of a capacitor in a circuit?

To determine the missing value of a capacitor, you will need to use an ohmmeter or a multimeter to measure the capacitance of the capacitor. You can then compare this value to the expected value for the specific type of capacitor being used in the circuit.

3. Can a missing capacitor affect the performance of a circuit?

Yes, a missing capacitor can affect the performance of a circuit in various ways. It can cause fluctuations in voltage, affect the stability of the circuit, and even lead to circuit failure. It is important to ensure that all necessary capacitors are present and functioning properly in a circuit.

4. Are there any safety precautions to keep in mind when working with capacitors?

Yes, there are safety precautions that should be followed when working with capacitors. Capacitors can store high levels of electrical charge, so it is important to discharge them before handling them. It is also important to use appropriate protective gear and to work on a de-energized circuit to avoid electric shock.

5. Is it possible to substitute a missing capacitor with a different value?

In some cases, it is possible to substitute a missing capacitor with a different value, but it is not always recommended. Different capacitor values can affect the circuit in different ways and may not provide the same performance as the missing capacitor. It is best to replace the missing capacitor with the correct value to ensure proper functioning of the circuit.