Electron Gun for a Grade 9 Physics Project?

In summary, the person is looking for ideas on how to obtain an electron gun to recreate the quantum-mechanical version of the double-slit experiment for their Personal Project in the IB curriculum. However, it is not safe or practical to do so. They could try replicating the classical version of the experiment using a laser pointer, but this will not demonstrate the quantum mechanical effect. Working with electrons is even more difficult and poses a radiation hazard. While it may be possible to obtain an electron gun from an old TV, it is not recommended due to the danger of opening the vacuum section.
Jake2003
I am in grade 9 in the IB curriculum and next year I have to do something called a "Personal Project" where I have to make something and explain why I did it. I would like to recreate the double slit experiment. However, I have to obtain a electron gun and they are quite hard to come across. So I was wondering whether anyone on here has any idea how to obtain one or a better experiment to recreate that wouldn't require something as expensive or hard to get?

Physics news on Phys.org
I am sorry to have to say that there is no practical and safe way for you to replicate the quantum-mechanical version of the double-slit experiment.

It is realistic to try replicating the classical version of the experiment, which demonstrates the wave nature of light and was first done by Thomas Young early in the 19th century. For that, you could use a readily available low-powered laser, even a laser pointer will be good enough. However, that's not showing the quantum mechanical effect in which the interference pattern is built up by individual photons arriving over time - for that you would need both a source that generates single photons at a time and a detector capable of detecting and recording the arrival of a single photon.

Working with electrons is even more difficult. First, they're electrically charged and interact with random air molecules so you would need to enclose the beam in a hard vacuum. Second, an electron beam poses a significant radiation hazard.

Likes berkeman
Old TVs have cathode ray tubes. The screen is made of thick leaded glass to block most of the x-rays. If you somehow opened the vacuum section, you could put a slit between one of the electron guns and the screen. But, I don't know how you would be able to close it up again with a good vacuum seal. There must be a way that the TVs were originally assembled, using a vacuum pump. Maybe ask someone who used to make these TVs.

Khashishi said:
If you somehow opened the vacuum section
We're getting into dangerous discussion territory here, so the thread will be closed now. It's pretty hard to "open" an old CRT glass envelope without initiating an implosion. And those are messy and dangerous. Do not ask me how I know this.

Related to Electron Gun for a Grade 9 Physics Project?

1. What is an Electron Gun?

An electron gun is a device that produces a beam of electrons by accelerating them using an electric field. It is commonly used in cathode ray tubes (CRTs) and other electronic devices.

2. How does an Electron Gun work?

An electron gun works by using a heated cathode to release electrons, which are then accelerated towards an anode using a high voltage. The electrons pass through a series of focusing and deflecting components before reaching their target.

3. What materials are needed to build an Electron Gun?

The materials needed to build an Electron Gun for a physics project may vary, but commonly include a cathode, anode, high voltage power supply, focusing and deflecting components, and a target material. Some of these materials may need to be purchased from a science supply store.

4. What are the applications of an Electron Gun?

An Electron Gun has many applications, including in cathode ray tubes for televisions and computer monitors, electron microscopes, and particle accelerators. It is also used in various research and industrial processes, such as electron beam welding and lithography.

5. Are there any safety precautions to consider when using an Electron Gun?

Yes, there are important safety precautions to consider when using an Electron Gun. The high voltage used in the device can be dangerous, so it is important to use proper protective equipment and follow all safety guidelines. It is also important to properly dispose of the materials used in the project to prevent any potential harm to the environment.