Elemental iron in ferrous sulfate

• Thread starter barryj
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Iron
In summary, ferrous sulfate comes in two forms: wet and dried. The wet version has 65mg of elemental iron per 325 mg tablet, while the dried version has 50 mg per 160 mg tablet. This difference in amounts suggests that the wet version contains water. The common form of Ferrous Sulphate is the heptahydrate version with a molecular weight of about 276, containing 20% Fe. The anhydrous form has a molecular weight of about 150 and contains 37% Fe. This explains why the percentages in the dried version match the chemical formula better. However, it appears that the tablet is not entirely made of anhydrous ferrous sulfate. Overall, the
barryj
I have read that ferrous sulfate has 65mg of elemental iron per 325 mg tablet. Then I read that dried ferrous sulfate has 50 mg per 160 mg tablet. Does this mean that the wet ferrous sulfate has water with it? It seems that the dried version matches the percentages based on the chemical formula.

Chemistry news on Phys.org
I think the common form of Ferrous Sulphate is the heptahydrate with a molecular weight of about 276, containing 20% Fe
The anhydrous form would have a molecular weight of about 150 and contain 37% Fe. (Which would suggest the tablet is not all anhydrous ferrous sulphate.)

This makes sense. Thanks

Oh - just noticed, I can't add up! The MW for anhydrous ferrous sulphate is nearer 152 and the heptahydrate 278, but it's near enough to keep the rounded %s the same.

I noticed that. I figured we were using a different version of the periodic table :-)

Related to Elemental iron in ferrous sulfate

1. What is elemental iron in ferrous sulfate?

Elemental iron in ferrous sulfate is a type of iron supplement that contains a form of iron called ferrous sulfate. Ferrous sulfate is a compound made up of iron and sulfur that is commonly used to treat iron deficiency anemia.

2. How does elemental iron in ferrous sulfate work?

Elemental iron in ferrous sulfate works by providing the body with additional iron, which is necessary for the production of red blood cells. Red blood cells carry oxygen throughout the body, and a deficiency in iron can lead to anemia and other health problems.

3. What are the benefits of taking elemental iron in ferrous sulfate?

The main benefit of taking elemental iron in ferrous sulfate is to treat iron deficiency anemia. It can also help with symptoms such as fatigue, weakness, and shortness of breath. In addition, iron is important for maintaining overall health and can help prevent other health issues related to iron deficiency.

4. What are the potential side effects of taking elemental iron in ferrous sulfate?

Potential side effects of taking elemental iron in ferrous sulfate include nausea, constipation, diarrhea, stomach pain, and heartburn. It can also cause darker stools and may interact with certain medications. It is important to consult with a doctor before taking any iron supplements.

5. How should elemental iron in ferrous sulfate be taken?

Elemental iron in ferrous sulfate should be taken as directed by a doctor or according to the instructions on the label. It is typically taken orally with water, and it is important to avoid taking it with dairy products or other foods that can interfere with its absorption. It is also recommended to take iron supplements with vitamin C to aid in absorption.