Elementary circuit theory question

In summary, the conversation involved a student struggling with a difficult problem assigned by their professor. The problem asked for the power as a function of time, and the student had tried several methods but was unable to get the correct answer. The book provided the answers of t=0.634s for maximum power delivery and t=2.366s for maximum power extraction, but the student did not understand how they arrived at those numbers. The expert suggested finding the maximum and minimum of the power function by taking its derivative, and asked if the student had taken a calculus class.
jmckennon
it's only the second day of class but my professor assigned some problems that are those weird ones that neither he nor the book even discusses, I have tried several different methods including parametric graphing, integrating the functions, deriving the function, but to not even the slightest avail.

the question is

The voltage and current at the terminals of the circuit element are zero for t<0 and t>3s. In the interval between 0 and 3 s the expressions are v=t(3-t)V i=6-(4*t)

the book tells the answers as being t=.634s where the power is delivered at its maximum and 2.366s where it is extracted at its maximum but i haven't the slightest idea how to get them.

Physics news on Phys.org
ahh sorry for posting this in the wrong forum, I am extremely new on here

What is the power as a function of time?

Homework Statement

t's only the second day of class but my professor assigned some problems that are those weird ones that neither he nor the book even discusses, I have tried several different methods including parametric graphing, integrating the functions, deriving the function, but to not even the slightest avail.

the question is

The voltage and current at the terminals of the circuit element are zero for t<0 and t>3s. In the interval between 0 and 3 s the expressions are v=t(3-t)V i=6-(4*t)

the book tells the answers as being t=.634s where the power is delivered at its maximum and 2.366s where it is extracted at its maximum but i haven't the slightest idea how to get them.

Homework Equations

p=vi

p=-vi

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried integrating the two functions from 0 to 3 and got 9/2 which is 4.5W. when using the book's answer the result is 4.964, and all my other attempts are no where near correct.

well i know 1W is 1 J/s, and 1V is 1 J/Q and 1A= 1Q/s

Power is an instantaneous quantity -- you don't need to integrate anything. If you integrate power over time, you get energy, which is not what you're looking for.

You have v(t) and i(t), so simply multiply them to find p(t):

p(t) = v(t) * i(t).

- Warren

Both threads have been merged. Please don't post the same question multiple times.

- Warren

i realized that after i posted it in the EE forum.

i understand how to get power as a function of time. My question is that i don't understand how the book got t= .634s as the time maximum power is delivered and t= 2.366s as the time max power is extracted.

If you look at a plot of p(t), and find its maximum and minimum, do you get the correct values of t?

- Warren

I haven't even tried that I'll go try that now!

Also: have you ever taken a calculus class?

yes, i have. i have been trying to tie together the voltage and current equations with parametric graphing but i still don't see where those numbers the book got comes from. i mean i see that the power would be at it's maximum value, but i don't know how to show the work for it.

In first semester calculus, you are taught how to find the maximum and minimum of a function. Do you remember? It involves taking the derivative ...

Related to Elementary circuit theory question

1. What is an elementary circuit?

An elementary circuit is the simplest form of an electrical circuit that consists of a voltage source, a resistor, and a single loop. It follows Ohm's Law, which states that the current flowing through a conductor is directly proportional to the voltage and inversely proportional to the resistance.

2. What is Kirchhoff's Voltage Law (KVL)?

Kirchhoff's Voltage Law (KVL) states that the sum of all voltages around a closed loop in a circuit must equal zero. This means that the voltage supplied by the source must be equal to the voltage dropped across each component in the circuit.

3. What is Ohm's Law?

Ohm's Law is a fundamental law of circuit theory that describes the relationship between voltage, current, and resistance. It states that the current through a conductor is directly proportional to the voltage and inversely proportional to the resistance. The mathematical equation for Ohm's Law is I = V/R, where I is the current, V is the voltage, and R is the resistance.

4. What is the difference between series and parallel circuits?

In a series circuit, the components are connected in a single loop, and the same current flows through each component. In a parallel circuit, the components are connected in multiple branches, and the current is divided between them. Additionally, the total resistance in a series circuit is the sum of each component's resistance, while in a parallel circuit, the total resistance is less than the smallest individual resistance.

5. How do I calculate the total resistance in a series or parallel circuit?

In a series circuit, the total resistance is the sum of each component's resistance. In a parallel circuit, the total resistance can be calculated using the equation 1/Rt = 1/R1 + 1/R2 + 1/R3... where Rt is the total resistance and R1, R2, R3... are the individual resistances of each component.