Elliptic function - does limit at infinity exist?

Ok, I think I get that a fixed ##m## can cover the whole plane with varying ##\epsilon##, but what about a fixed ##\epsilon##?I guess you mean a fixed ##|z|##. This is true: if we fix a complex number z, then the whole line ##\{z+mw, \ m \in \mathbb{Z}\}## covers the plane. But if we fix z, we can also choose ##\epsilon## as small as we want, and then |f(z+mw)-c|<##\epsilon## only for those m that are not too large.
binbagsss

Homework Statement

I am wanting to show that

##lim_{z\to\infty} f(z)=c## does not exist for ##c \in C##, ##C## the complex plane, where ##f## is non-constant periodic meromorphic function. (elliptic)

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

So I want to proove this is not true
Beginning with the definition:

For any ##\epsilon >0## can find a ##R## s.t ##|z|>R \implies |f(z)-c|<\epsilon## (1)

Now let ##w## be a period.

Then we also have

##|f(z+mw)-c|<\epsilon##(2), for ##m## some integer

Now I attach the solution:

yoyo.png

Questions:

- I thought that (2) would hold automatically, from (1) by periodicty, without additionally needing to have ##|z+mw |>R ##

- Also this would hold following from (1), if not using periodicity, but simply looking at ##|z+mw |>R ##, for ##z## large since a shift by some constant is insignificant? Therefore in the solution, I do not understand the need to specify both, by periodicity and include this condition ##|z+mw |>R ##

- Finally I do not understand the conclusion itself, perhaps due to being unclear on the above points- I understand the goal is to show that if this limit exists it implies that ##f## is holomoprhic (since I then have the theorem that an elliptic function holomorphic is constant, and so proof by contradiction).

I do not understand the conclusion that

##|f(z)-c|=|f(z+mw)-c|<1## (3) implies the ##f(z)## is a bounded holomorphic function.

My interpretation is that since we can vary ##m## to cover a range of values of ##f(z)## which are bounded this conclusion is made? So ##m## generating a lot of points? However isn't this only for large ##z## ? We have only showed bounded for large ##z##? (When ##|z|>R## is satisfied)? Or am I barking up the wrong tree as to why we conclude ##f(z)## is constant from (3)?

Many thanks in advance

Physics news on Phys.org
Your (2) is valid for |z|>R, but that is not really what you want to show.

You want to show that |f(z)-c| < ##\epsilon## for all z, including those not larger than R in magnitude. So you need the reverse direction. Start with those z, then find (using periodicity) a complex value with a magnitude larger than R.

If f(z) does not differ from c by more than 1 for all z, it is bounded. A bounded meromorphic function is constant.

mfb said:
Start with those z, then find (using periodicity) a complex value with a magnitude larger than R.

So this is ##|z+mw|## but then how does this show that |f(z)-c| < ##\epsilon## for all z, including those not larger than R in magnitude?

Because we can choose any ##m## integer to make this small?

We can choose an m such that |z+mw|>R, and there we know that |f(z+mw)-c|< ϵ.

Last edited:
mfb said:
We can choose an m such that |z+mw|>R,

but that's large ##m## isn't it? so again only large ##z##, not all ##z##?
mfb said:
and there we know that |f(z+mw)|< ϵ.

I'm not understanding, what's happened to the ##c##?

binbagsss said:
but that's large ##m## isn't it? so again only large ##z##, not all ##z##?
It is sufficient that some m exists, it does not matter how large it is. z can be anything.
I'm not understanding, what's happened to the ##c##?
I forgot it. Should be in there of course.

mfb said:
It is sufficient that some m exists, it does not matter how large it is. z can be anything.
I forgot it. Should be in there of course.

Ok, think I may understand at last, so whilst ##|f(z+mw)-c|<\epsilon## could simply follow from a condition only on ##z## , ##|z|>R## , by periodicity, this is still only considering large ##z##.

However if we instead have ##|z+mw|>R##, than the periodicity can be used to make |z+mw| large through ##m## and not ##z##, and so it holds for small ##z## too?

I don't understand your last post.

Let's make an example, maybe that is easier to understand.

##\epsilon=0.01##, R=1, w=0.5, c=3.
For |z|>1, we know that |f(z)-3|<0.01, or, in words, f(z) is close to 3. We want to show that f(z) is close to 3 everywhere.

What about z=0.2? We don't have direct condition on that, because 0.2<R. But we know f(0.2)=f(0.7)=f(1.2), and |f(1.2)-3|<0.01, i. e. f(1.2) is close to 3. Therefore, |f(0.2)-3|<0.01, which means f(0.2) is close to 3 as well.
z=-0.4+0.2i? Same idea: f(-0.4+0.2i) = f(1.1+0.2i), and |1.1+0.2i|>1. Again we can conclude that |f(-0.4+0.2i)-3|<0.01.

This approach works for all z with |z|<1. Therefore, |f(z)-3|<0.01 for all z.
We can repeat this with every ##\epsilon>0##, and conclude that |f(z)-3|<##\epsilon## for all ##\epsilon##. Therefore, f(z)=3 everywhere.

mfb said:
Your (2) is valid for |z|>R, but that is not really what you want to show.

You want to show that |f(z)-c| < ##\epsilon## for all z, including those not larger than R in magnitude. So you need the reverse direction. Start with those z, then find (using periodicity) a complex value with a magnitude larger than R.

If f(z) does not differ from c by more than 1 for all z, it is bounded. A bounded meromorphic function is constant.

This doesn't need to be ##1## right? The more general definition is |f(z)-c| < ##\epsilon## for ##0< \epsilon <1 ##?

mfb said:
We can repeat this with every ##\epsilon>0##, and conclude that |f(z)-3|<##\epsilon## for all ##\epsilon##. Therefore, f(z)=3 everywhere.

Ahh okay thanks, I think this answers my next question: ##m## is integer so for a fixed ##\epsilon## with the procedure you descried you could only cover a discrete set of points in the complex plane but then by varying ##\epsilon## you can cover continuous points so the whole complex plane? thanks.

binbagsss said:
This doesn't need to be ##1## right? The more general definition is |f(z)-c| < ##\epsilon## for ##0< \epsilon <1 ##?
It works with every positive real number, yes.
binbagsss said:
Ahh okay thanks, I think this answers my next question: ##m## is integer so for a fixed ##\epsilon## with the procedure you descried you could only cover a discrete set of points in the complex plane but then by varying ##\epsilon## you can cover continuous points so the whole complex plane? thanks.
No, you can cover the whole plane with a single value of ##\epsilon##.
Check the example in post 8. I picked z=0.2 and z=-0.4+0.2i as examples, but it works for every z.

Related to Elliptic function - does limit at infinity exist?

1. What is an elliptic function?

An elliptic function is a complex-valued function of a complex variable that is periodic in two directions. It can be defined as a quotient of two general power series, and it has applications in various fields of mathematics such as number theory and physics.

2. What is the limit at infinity of an elliptic function?

The limit at infinity of an elliptic function does not exist. This is because the function is periodic in two directions, meaning that as the input variable approaches infinity, the function will repeat its values in a pattern rather than converging to a specific value.

3. Can an elliptic function have a finite limit at infinity?

No, an elliptic function cannot have a finite limit at infinity. As mentioned before, the function is periodic and will not converge to a specific value as the input variable approaches infinity.

4. How is the behavior of an elliptic function at infinity related to its singularities?

The behavior of an elliptic function at infinity is related to its singularities in the sense that the singularities determine the behavior of the function as it approaches infinity. For example, if an elliptic function has a pole at infinity, it will have an essential singularity at that point.

5. Are there any applications of studying the limit at infinity of elliptic functions?

Yes, there are several applications of studying the limit at infinity of elliptic functions. For instance, it has been used in the study of complex dynamics and in the construction of algebraic curves. It also has applications in physics, particularly in the study of periodic motion and wave phenomena.