Energy conversions - wind up radio

In summary: The wind-up radio is an example of the process of energy transformation from one type to another. The radio is operated as follows:1. user turns a handle to wind a metal spring onto a spool2. metal spring unwinds slowly, through a number of gears, rapidly turning the spindle of a small electrical generator3. electrical generator feeds a rechargeable battery4. when the radio is turned on, it is powered from the battery5. sound is produced by the vibrating diaphragm in the radio’s loudspeaker
dukg08

Homework Statement

(a) The wind-up radio is a wonderful example of the process of energy transformation from one type to another. The radio is operated as follows:
(i)
The user turns a handle that winds a metal spring onto a spool.
(ii)
The metal spring then unwinds slowly, through a number of gears, rapidly turning the spindle of a small electrical generator.
(iii) The electrical generator feeds a rechargeable battery.
(iv)
When the radio is turned on, it is powered from the battery.
(v)
Sound is produced by the vibrating diaphragm in the radio’s loudspeaker.

Based on the information in (i)–(v), list the energy transfers and conversions which take place in the process described above, from the user initially turning the handle through to the sound being produced by the radio. You should give your answer as a series of points and in each point you should clearly identify the stage you are describing and the energy transfers and/or conversions that are taking place. We expect you will be able to answer part (a) in around 200 words.

Homework Equations

---

The Attempt at a Solution

(i)
The user turns a handle that winds a metal spring onto a spool. - chemical energy in the body to kinetic energy in turning the handle to strain potential energy
(ii)
The metal spring then unwinds slowly, through a number of gears, rapidly turning the spindle of a small electrical generator. not sure what energy/conversion this all has except it's some sort of movement - mechanical energy
(iii) The electrical generator feeds a rechargeable battery. mechanical energy into stored electrical energy
(iv)
When the radio is turned on, it is powered from the battery. kinetic energy to electrical energy
(v)
Sound is produced by the vibrating diaphragm in the radio’s loudspeaker. electrical energy into something into sound energy

I'm not totally sure I'm on the right track with this. Obviously I will re-write this.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
the first part sounds right...i might just call it "spring potential energy", i don't know what your book calls it...

remember that on every step, the energy has to come from somewhere. In this case, it will always be coming from where it was added in the last section... that should help you on the rest...

I would also call energy in a battery "chemical energy", as it's very similar to what your body is doing when it stores energy in ATP.

Good luck,

~Lyuokdea

so would this be better:

(i)
The user turns a handle that winds a metal spring onto a spool. - chemical energy in the body to kinetic energy in turning the handle to spring potential energy
(ii)
The metal spring then unwinds slowly, through a number of gears, rapidly turning the spindle of a small electrical generator. Spring potential energy to mechanical energy to stored electrical energy
(iii) The electrical generator feeds a rechargeable battery. stored electrical energy to chemical energy
(iv)
When the radio is turned on, it is powered from the battery. Chemical energy to electrical energy (v)
Sound is produced by the vibrating diaphragm in the radio’s loudspeaker. Electrical energy into sound energy

For part (ii), do you think the middle stage might be better described as kinetic energy, what with the movement of the gears and generator shaft? Also, do you think the last conversion in this step would be to electrical energy; you don't store it until step (iii).

For part (v), this is basically correct, but have a think about how the sound energy is actually produced.

Last edited:
So the battery would be ‘stored electrical energy’? What is the generator then?
(iv) can’t be right if the battery is ‘stored electrical energy’ can it?
Is (iii) the wrong way round?

Well a battery stores electrical energy as chemical energy. So you could call the energy in the battery "stored electrical energy" or "chemical energy". But the energy produced by the generator is "electrical energy". I'd say that (iii) is "electrical energy to chemical energy". It's semantics. Your description of (iv) looks good, so just reverse it for (iii).

so the following:

(i)
The user turns a handle that winds a metal spring onto a spool. - chemical energy in the body to kinetic energy in turning the handle to spring potential energy
(ii)
The metal spring then unwinds slowly, through a number of gears, rapidly turning the spindle of a small electrical generator. Spring potential energy to kinetic energy to electrical energy
(iii) The electrical generator feeds a rechargeable battery. electrical energy to chemical energy
(iv)
When the radio is turned on, it is powered from the battery. Chemical energy to electrical energy
(v)
Sound is produced by the vibrating diaphragm in the radio’s loudspeaker. Electrical energy into sound energy - add more to this one

obviously rewording it to answer the question fully

Looks good.

How does the loudspeaker produce sound energy? Or, more pedantically, what is sound energy?

thats what I'm working on :)

It's all to do with waves I think

Last edited:

Related to Energy conversions - wind up radio

What is a wind up radio?

A wind up radio is a type of radio that is powered by a hand crank instead of electricity. This means that it can be used without access to an electrical outlet or batteries.

How does a wind up radio convert energy?

A wind up radio uses a mechanical energy conversion process. When the hand crank is turned, it rotates a small generator, which converts the mechanical energy into electrical energy. This electrical energy is then used to power the radio's circuits and produce sound.

What are the benefits of using a wind up radio?

One of the main benefits of a wind up radio is its portability. It can be used in remote areas or during emergencies when there is no access to electricity. Additionally, it is an environmentally friendly option as it does not require batteries or electricity to function.

How long does it take to wind up a wind up radio?

The time it takes to wind up a wind up radio can vary depending on the model and the desired listening time. Generally, it takes around 1-2 minutes of winding to power the radio for 30 minutes of listening.

Are wind up radios reliable?

Wind up radios can be reliable if they are well-made and maintained properly. However, they may not be as reliable as traditional radios as their performance is dependent on the user's ability to consistently and effectively turn the hand crank. It is important to follow the manufacturer's instructions for proper use and maintenance of the radio.