Engineering Economy: Tricky fixed cost problem

In summary, John pays $500 for 5 black shirts and wants to purchase 10 red shirts at a contract rate of $11 per shirt. The total money spent by John is $610, and the data points for finding the fixed and variable cost are ($500,5) and ($610,15).
jdawg

Homework Statement

John pays $500 to a tailor for a regular supply of new shirts. The tailor delivers 5 black shirts. He next wants to purchase 10 red shirts at the contract rate of $11 per shirt. For the black and the red shirts together, what are the fixed and variable cost of the shirts? John's discount rate is 12%.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Hi! So I'm having a lot of trouble with this problem. The first time I attempted this problem I assumed that the fixed cost was $500 and tried applying the discount rate to the $11 per red shirt and multiplying by 10. This was completely wrong. I think the discount rate is thrown in there to confuse me.
What I'm supposed to do is find two data points and then use y=mx+b to find the fixed and variable cost. But how do I find the data points?

Can I just do this?:

($500,5) ($110,10) (I multiplied 10*$11)

But I think this gives me a negative marginal cost... Which means this is wrong also.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
I agree that the discount rate is not applicable here.

I think you have the right idea assuming a linear variable cost relationship. Just need to plug in the right numbers.

At the end of the day, what is the total money spent by John?

Is $610 the total amount spent?

At the end of the day it is, right?

I think so! So my data points are ($500,5) and ($610, 15)?

You got it!

Likes jdawg
Awesome! Thanks so much!

Related to Engineering Economy: Tricky fixed cost problem

1. What is "Engineering Economy"?

"Engineering Economy" is a branch of engineering that deals with the economic analysis of engineering projects, systems, and processes. It involves evaluating the costs and benefits of various engineering options to determine the most economically feasible solution.

2. What is a "tricky fixed cost problem" in Engineering Economy?

A "tricky fixed cost problem" in Engineering Economy refers to a situation where there are fixed costs that cannot be easily identified or allocated to a specific engineering project or process. This can make it challenging to accurately determine the true cost of a project and can impact decision-making.

3. How do engineers handle tricky fixed cost problems in Engineering Economy?

Engineers handle tricky fixed cost problems in Engineering Economy by carefully analyzing and estimating the potential fixed costs, considering the different scenarios and risks involved, and using various cost allocation methods to allocate the fixed costs to specific projects or processes.

4. What are some examples of fixed costs in Engineering Economy?

Examples of fixed costs in Engineering Economy include land and building expenses, equipment and machinery costs, insurance and property taxes, and salaries and benefits for permanent staff. These costs do not vary with the level of production or activity.

5. Why is it important to consider fixed costs in Engineering Economy?

It is important to consider fixed costs in Engineering Economy because they can have a significant impact on the overall cost and profitability of a project. By accurately identifying and allocating fixed costs, engineers can make informed decisions and choose the most cost-effective solutions for their projects.