Engineering or Physics internship?

In summary, as a physics major, it may be difficult to find internships in the field without traveling long distances. However, considering an engineering internship could be a smart move, especially if you are interested in pursuing a career in industry or engineering-related work. If your goal is to become a professional physicist, focusing on undergraduate research or pursuing a PhD in physics may be a better route. Additionally, there are internships available that involve both R&D and industry work, allowing for a combination of physics and engineering skills. Ultimately, the decision depends on your personal goals and preferences.
Mgkov18
I'm a physics major but I can't seem to find any physics internships without having to travel long distances, so I was thinking about an engineering internship but I was wondering if that would be a smart move or not?

Physics news on Phys.org
Mgkov18 said:
I was wondering if that would be a smart move or not?
Smarter than no internship :)

Likes psparky
Mgkov18 said:
I'm a physics major but I can't seem to find any physics internships without having to travel long distances, so I was thinking about an engineering internship but I was wondering if that would be a smart move or not?

Office work experience is always good. I doubt a future physics job is going to look down on you for experiencing engineering.

Also, what you learn in college doesn't translate very well into the work place.

However, learning how to be a top rate thinker and problem solver in college does translate quite nicely into the workplace.

But with anything in life, the question always comes down to..."What would you do?"

Mgkov18 said:

It depends on what you want out of your physics degree.

"Internship" is a term usually applied to industry where people don't generally work in a physics capacity, they work in an engineering capacity. If you want to get a job in industry doing engineering or engineering-like stuff then an engineering internship would be a great idea.

If you want to do physics for a career (that is, be a professional physicist) then you are looking to go to graduate school for a PhD in physics. In this case you would usually be better served doing undergraduate research at your university (or a national lab if one is near you).

ModusPwnd said:
It depends on what you want out of your physics degree.

"Internship" is a term usually applied to industry where people don't generally work in a physics capacity, they work in an engineering capacity. If you want to get a job in industry doing engineering or engineering-like stuff then an engineering internship would be a great idea.

If you want to do physics for a career (that is, be a professional physicist) then you are looking to go to graduate school for a PhD in physics. In this case you would usually be better served doing undergraduate research at your university (or a national lab if one is near you).

While what ModusPwnd said is true, there are also internships that are very advanced development related (which is different is some ways than research). As an intern I worked with physicists on developing the controls for new methods of night vision goggles (I'm an EE). While my primary responsibility was the EE development, I had to help with some physics research too.

My point is you can find internships and jobs that have R&D components to them. that being said most of them will be primarily industry and production based, which includes design which can take brains.

Related to Engineering or Physics internship?

1. What is the difference between an engineering and physics internship?

An engineering internship typically focuses on the practical application of scientific principles to design and create new technologies or products, while a physics internship is more research-based and focuses on understanding the fundamental laws and theories of the universe.

2. What skills are required for an engineering or physics internship?

For an engineering internship, strong problem-solving, critical thinking, and technical skills are essential, as well as a solid understanding of math and science. For a physics internship, strong analytical and mathematical skills, as well as the ability to think creatively and conduct experiments, are important.

3. How can I find an engineering or physics internship?

There are several ways to find an internship in engineering or physics. You can search online job boards, attend career fairs and networking events, or reach out to professors or professionals in your field of interest for potential opportunities.

4. What can I expect to learn from an engineering or physics internship?

In an engineering internship, you can expect to gain hands-on experience with designing and building projects, as well as learning about industry-specific tools and software. In a physics internship, you can expect to learn about research methods, data analysis, and how to apply theoretical concepts to real-world situations.

5. How can an engineering or physics internship benefit my future career?

An internship in engineering or physics can provide valuable experience, skills, and connections that can help you stand out to potential employers. It can also help you determine if a career in these fields is the right fit for you and give you a better understanding of the industry and its demands.