Engineers, what is a typical day for you?

In summary: D CAD design. i am allowed to make changes to the CAD designs as long as they do not affect the functionality of the product. my team is also working on a product that uses a 3D printer. in that case, i am allowed to make
Felchi
As someone who enjoys Design, Computer Programming, Chemistry and Physics, the archetypical path prescribed to me by career tests, guidance counsellors and parents is that I should become an engineer.

However as final year looms near, I realize that I really have no idea what any engineer does, how one differentiates from a technician or even the duties of different strands of engineering. I just know that it has something to do with physics and chemistry, most of the time.

So all engineers of all disciplines, I would like to ask you,

1. What really, do you do? What is the end result of your job? Is this typical of engineers of your stream?
2. How hands-on is your job? Do you draw up blueprints and hand them off to people? Do you design an algorithm and have your team polish up the rest? Are you on the front line testing, designing and building your product?
3. What is a typical day in your job?
4. How much creative freedom do you have? Do you just implement whatever your superiors hand off to you or do you work with a team to design the solution?
5. What is a little known fact about your profession?
6. What are your duties?

Physics news on Phys.org
Theses are really broad questions for a wide array of careers.

Here is a nice collection of "day in the life of an engineer" bits
http://www.wastedtalent.ca/node/1210

I am in a position where i rotate my job every year (for my first 4 years with the company). I am currently a power electronics engineer (formerly firmware enigneer)

1. I get to work and sift through emails for 30 minutes. Then I go to the production engineer and help him troubleshoot board failures for about 2 hours. This involves running automated tests and manually probing boards. Sometimes the fix is a bad solder joint, other times i'll find that the same part is failing many times. in that case, i go to the schematic, look at the part, and make recommended changes. The second half of my day is spent fixing common field failures so we can make a more reliable product. I take our setups, run them in the lab, measure voltages, look at schematics, call vendors, pour salt water on boards while they are running, etc. after i find the root cause of a problem, i determine a solution, ask a planner to get whatever parts i need (takes a day or two), then implement the fix, and run tests on it. if the tests pass, we'll throw it on a unit in the field for a few weeks to see if it works. if it does a production engineer implements the change on all of the units.

ohh, i forgot to mention a lot of status meetings

2. very hands on atm, my former rotation, about 50/50

4. i had creative freedom early in my first rotation (when we are laying out the design for the system).

Related to Engineers, what is a typical day for you?

1. What is the main role of an engineer on a typical day?

The main role of an engineer on a typical day is to use their knowledge and skills to design, develop, and maintain various products, systems, or structures. This can include tasks such as conducting research, creating plans and blueprints, overseeing construction or production, and troubleshooting any issues that arise.

2. What type of projects do engineers typically work on?

Engineers can work on a wide range of projects, depending on their area of specialization. Some may work on large-scale infrastructure projects such as bridges, highways, or buildings, while others may focus on developing new technologies or products. They may also work on improving existing systems or solving complex problems.

3. What tools and software do engineers use on a typical day?

Engineers use a variety of tools and software on a typical day, depending on their field of work. They may use computer-aided design (CAD) software to create blueprints, simulation software to test designs, and various tools for measuring and analyzing data. They may also use specialized equipment for tasks such as building or testing prototypes.

4. How much collaboration is involved in an engineer's daily tasks?

Collaboration is an important aspect of an engineer's daily tasks. They may work closely with other engineers, as well as professionals from different fields such as architects, contractors, or scientists. They may also collaborate with clients or stakeholders to understand their needs and ensure that the final product meets their requirements.

5. What are the challenges that engineers face on a typical day?

Some of the challenges that engineers may face on a typical day include tight deadlines, unexpected problems or setbacks, and balancing multiple projects at once. They may also need to constantly update their knowledge and skills to keep up with advancements in technology and industry standards. Additionally, communication and collaboration with team members and clients can also present challenges.