Entangled particles and lorentz contraction?

In summary, the effect of entanglement on particles moving near the speed of light is limited and not truly a "realtime copy." There are other properties that do not follow suit in regards to entangled particles, such as mass increase as a result of the high speed.
letumio
can lorentz contraction be measured via quantum entanglement with one of the entangled particles moving near the speed of light? would the particle in motion be affected by lorentz contraction? if so, would the particle at rest follow suit and appear affected?

Physics news on Phys.org
letumio said:
... would the particle at rest follow suit and appear affected?

:welcome:

Accelerating one entangled particle does not have a matching effect on the other, so NO.

DrChinese said:

Accelerating one entangled particle does not have a matching effect on the other, so NO.
so entanglement has limited effect on its counterpart and isn't truly a "realtime copy" particle? are there other properties that don't follow suit in regards to entangled particles(such as mass increase as a result of the high speed)?

to be clear i didnt mean the particle at rest would accelerate, but contract and distort like the particle in motion.

i just understand entanglement as what happens to one particle, happens to the other via "spooky action at a distance".

and if it doesn't "copy" over, is that the beginning of a way to monitor what happens near the speed of light without the "measuring device" being effected by time dialation?(the entanglement would have to maintain instantaneous communication even near light speed?)

forgive me if I am confusing or extremely ignorant, I am new haha

DrChinese said:

sorry i guess my true question is what happens when u have one of the entangled particles moving near the speed of light, if lorentz doesn't transfer, what else does and doesn't copy? mass, time dialation, ect. (velocity doesn't obviously) so does it nullify the effects of e=mC2,
DrChinese said:

sorry one more question, if the lorentz effect isn't transferred, and assuming no properties of the kind are either, could we "watch" as one of the particles were thrown into a black hole, and how far could we possibly watch it go down the "hole"?

letumio said:
so entanglement has limited effect on its counterpart and isn't truly a "realtime copy" particle? are there other properties that don't follow suit in regards to entangled particles(such as mass increase as a result of the high speed)?
... and if it doesn't "copy" over, is that the beginning of a way to monitor what happens near the speed of light without the "measuring device" being effected by time dialation?(the entanglement would have to maintain instantaneous communication even near light speed?)

Entanglement does not operate as you envision it. As mentioned, accelerating one particle does nothing to the other. So naturally there is no relativistic effect to consider. No dilation, mass change, etc.

Further, and in general: any operation done on one does nothing to the other unless it has the effect of acting as a measurement. When you measure one of a pair, the result is "as if" the other was measured in the same manner. No one can say precisely how that happens, there are varying interpretations of this mechanism.

letumio said:
could we "watch" as one of the particles were thrown into a black hole, and how far could we possibly watch it go down the "hole"?

No, since you don't get anything back from acting on the remote particle. There is no signalling going on.

In fact: anything that might lead you to think there is "something" going from A to B falls victim to the point that it might instead be going from B to A. In other words: The order of events makes no apparent difference to the observed outcomes.

DrChinese said:
Entanglement does not operate as you envision it. As mentioned, accelerating one particle does nothing to the other. So naturally there is no relativistic effect to consider. No dilation, mass change, etc.

Further, and in general: any operation done on one does nothing to the other unless it has the effect of acting as a measurement. When you measure one of a pair, the result is "as if" the other was measured in the same manner. No one can say precisely how that happens, there are varying interpretations of this mechanism.
so one could, in theory, toss one into a black hole and measure the other "as if"
DrChinese said:
No, since you don't get anything back from acting on the remote particle. There is no signalling going on.

In fact: anything that might lead you to think there is "something" going from A to B falls victim to the point that it might instead be going from B to A. In other words: The order of events makes no apparent difference to the observed outcomes.
so, in theory, we have a way of measuring a particle fall into a black hole until the entanglement breaks. and better yet, we could, theoretically, toss that particle to the black hole far faster than any classic devices(probe/satellite)..

thank you for your time and helping me along the mind melting line of question!

letumio said:
so one could, in theory, toss one into a black hole and measure the other "as if"

so, in theory, we have a way of measuring a particle fall into a black hole until the entanglement breaks. and better yet, we could, theoretically, toss that particle to the black hole far faster than any classic devices(probe/satellite)..

thank you for your time and helping me along the mind melting line of question!
DrChinese said:

well now I am confused again...if the remote particle can't be acted on even by the black hole?

letumio said:
so one could, in theory, toss one into a black hole and measure the other "as if"... so, in theory, we have a way of measuring a particle fall into a black hole until the entanglement breaks.

OK, a couple of more facets on entanglement and your black hole idea.

1. The particle going into the black hole does not send any information back about it's interaction with the black hole.
2. Observing a particle effectively breaks its entanglement with the other.
3. The *most* you get from measuring your nearby entangled particle is information about the other particle BEFORE its interaction with the black hole.
4. The results you observe from a series of measurements on entangled particles will be a random distribution. For example, spin measurements will be divided 50-50 regardless of axis.

Note that the sequence of measurements is not important to the statistical results.

letumio said:
well now I am confused again...if the remote particle can't be acted on even by the black hole?

The remote particle can be acted on by the black hole, sure. It just does have any particular back reaction that could be observed on the local version.

DrChinese said:
The remote particle can be acted on by the black hole, sure. It just does have any particular back reaction that could be observed on the local version.
i think I am following and i believe i recall a krauss lecture to that end. i appreciate the help and time very much, i clearly have to read far more into quantum mechanics before i can even pretend grasp it!

Related to Entangled particles and lorentz contraction?

1. What are entangled particles?

Entangled particles are pairs of quantum particles that have a strong correlation between their physical properties, such as spin or polarization. This correlation exists even when the particles are separated by large distances, and any change in one particle will affect the other instantaneously, regardless of the distance between them.

2. How are entangled particles created?

Entangled particles can be created by a variety of methods, such as splitting a single photon or creating pairs of particles in a lab. These particles can also become entangled through natural processes, such as during a radioactive decay.

3. What is the significance of entangled particles?

Entangled particles have been studied extensively in the field of quantum mechanics because they challenge our understanding of how particles behave and interact. The phenomenon of entanglement has also been proposed as a potential method for secure communication and quantum computing.

4. How does Lorentz contraction relate to entangled particles?

Lorentz contraction refers to the shortening of an object in the direction of its motion, as predicted by Einstein's theory of relativity. In the context of entangled particles, this means that the distance between the particles may appear to be shorter from the perspective of an observer moving at high speeds. This can affect the observations and measurements of entangled particles.

5. Can entangled particles violate the speed of light?

No, entangled particles do not violate the speed of light. Although changes in one particle's state can appear to happen instantaneously in relation to its entangled partner, this does not actually involve any information or energy being transmitted faster than the speed of light. The phenomenon of entanglement is a result of the non-local nature of quantum mechanics.