EoM from action, indices confused, (QFT)

In summary: You are correct, the 2nd term should vanish due to the fact that you have two derivative terms. You get ##\frac{\partial}{\partial_u \phi} (\partial_a \phi) =\delta^{au}##.
binbagsss

Homework Statement

Using the E-L equations to get the EoM from the action.

Homework Equations

I am using E-L equations in the form:

## \frac{\partial}{\partial_u} \frac{\partial L}{\partial_u \phi}-\frac{\partial L}{\partial \phi} ##

where ##L ## is the Lagrangian

The Attempt at a Solution

I am a bit confused with the term ## \frac{1}{2} \partial_u \phi \partial^u \phi ## of a lot of actions.

The correct answer is ## \frac{1}{2} \partial_u \partial^u \phi ##

As it is for the first term of the EoM from [1] I get:

## \frac{\partial}{\partial_u} \frac{1}{2} \partial^u \phi = \frac{1}{2}\partial_u \partial^u \phi ##

However if I write it as ##\frac{1}{2}(\partial_u \phi)^2 ## , the factor of half cancels, but my indices don't work out :

## \frac{\partial}{\partial_u} \partial_u \phi = \partial_u \partial_u \phi ##Many thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Writing it as ##(\partial_u \phi)^2/2## is a bastard notation often used in physics. At face value you might think it means what you are taking it to mean, but what it really means is ##g^{ab}(\partial_a\phi)(\partial_b \phi)/2##.

Orodruin said:
Writing it as ##(\partial_u \phi)^2/2## is a bastard notation often used in physics. At face value you might think it means what you are taking it to mean, but what it really means is ##g^{ab}(\partial_a\phi)(\partial_b \phi)/2##.
i don't understand the differnce, the metric in your expression raises the index to get the same expression, no?

Yes, the point being that the expression ##(\partial_a \phi)^2## while seemingly containing two covariant indices really contains a contraction between a covariant and a contravariant index and needs to be treated as such.

Orodruin said:
Yes, the point being that the expression ##(\partial_a \phi)^2## while seemingly containing two covariant indices really contains a contraction between a covariant and a contravariant index and needs to be treated as such.
oh so as in when i differentiate what i have done is treated them as separate indices but i need to apply some sort of chain rule instead?

Right. ##\partial^a\phi## is not indepentent from ##\partial_a\phi##.

binbagsss said:
linked via the metric, so i need to differentiate the metric wrt x?
You mean when you take the derivative ##\partial_u## of ##\partial L/\partial(\partial_u\phi)##? In general yes, but in most cases QFT is done on a Minkowski space background meaning that that term vanishes. In a curved background (or in curvilinear coordinates) you will generally not obtain ##\partial_a\partial^a\phi =0## but ##\nabla_a\partial^a\phi =0##, which is fortunate since the first expression is not invariant whereas the second is.

Orodruin said:
You mean when you take the derivative ##\partial_u## of ##\partial L/\partial(\partial_u\phi)##? In general yes, but in most cases QFT is done on a Minkowski space background meaning that that term vanishes. .

so looking at the OP, what is the term coming from the chain rule I am missing that you have hinted at.
From the above discussion all I have is:

##\frac{1}{2} \partial_u (g^{ua} \partial_{a} \phi )
=\frac{1}{2} ( g^{ua} \partial_u \partial_{a} \phi + \partial_{a} \phi \partial_u g^{ua} ) ##

this is equal to what I had previously , sincce the 2nd term is zero...

Please can I have more guidance,

thanks

Why do you still have the 1/2?

Also I am not sure I understand what you think the problem is ...

Orodruin said:
Why do you still have the 1/2?

becuse in genreal the action will include other terms such as ## m^2 \phi ^2 + \lambda \frac{\phi}{4!} ## i.e ##\frac{\partial L}{\partial \phi } \neq 0 ##

Are you dealing with a complex scalar field or a real scalar field? The 1/2 should disappear in the case of a real scalar field because you have two derivative terms. In the case of a complex field you do not have the factor of 1/2 from the beginning. In the case of a real scalar field, the mass term also comes with a 1/2.

Orodruin said:
Are you dealing with a complex scalar field or a real scalar field? The 1/2 should disappear in the case of a real scalar field because you have two derivative terms. In the case of a complex field you do not have the factor of 1/2 from the beginning. In the case of a real scalar field, the mass term also comes with a 1/2.
yep the m^2 term comes with a half.
no i mean I am stil struggling with this derivative term.

ok so I want ## \frac{\partial }{\partial_u} (\partial_u \phi \partial^u \phi) = \frac{\partial }{\partial_u} (\partial_u \phi g^{au} \partial_a \phi)= g^{au}\partial_a \phi (1) + g^{au}\partial_u \phi \frac{\partial}{\partial_u \phi} (\partial_a \phi) + 0 ##

using the product rule

for the 2nd term I get ## \frac{\partial}{\partial_u \phi} (\partial_a \phi) =\delta^{au} ##

this must be wrong since this then gives me a factor of ##4## via the trace of the metric and so the index is not raised as required also.

binbagsss said:
yep the m^2 term comes with a half.
no i mean I am stil struggling with this derivative term.

ok so I want ## \frac{\partial }{\partial_u} (\partial_u \phi \partial^u \phi) = \frac{\partial }{\partial_u} (\partial_u \phi g^{au} \partial_a \phi)= g^{au}\partial_a \phi (1) + g^{au}\partial_u \phi \frac{\partial}{\partial_u \phi} (\partial_a \phi) + 0 ##

using the product rule

for the 2nd term I get ## \frac{\partial}{\partial_u \phi} (\partial_a \phi) =\delta^{au} ##

this must be wrong since this then gives me a factor of ##4## via the trace of the metric and so the index is not raised as required also.
please can somebody help with my working here, is the delta term wrong? thanks

You're using very confusing notation, which I think is the reason people are not responding. I fix your notation and get

## \frac{\partial }{\partial_c} (\partial_b \phi \partial^b \phi) = \partial_c \Bigl(\eta^{ab} \partial_a \phi \partial_b \phi \Bigr) = \eta^{ab} \Bigl( (\partial_c \partial_a) \phi \partial_b \phi + \partial_a \phi ( \partial_c \partial _b \phi ) \Bigr) = \Bigl( (\partial_c \partial_a) \phi \partial^a \phi + \partial^a \phi ( \partial_c \partial_a \phi ) \Bigr)##

This equals

## 2 \Bigl( (\partial_c \partial_a) \phi \partial^a \phi \Bigr)##

binbagsss said:

Why do you want that? The Euler-Lagrange equations of motion are:

[itex]\partial_u \frac{\partial \mathcal{L}}{\partial (\partial_u \phi)} = \frac{\partial \mathcal{L}}{\partial \phi}[/itex]

But [itex]\frac{\partial \mathcal{L}}{\partial (\partial_u \phi)} = \partial^u \phi[/itex] (assuming [itex]\mathcal{L} = \frac{1}{2} \partial_u \phi \partial^u \phi [/itex] + terms involving powers of [itex]\phi[/itex])

So unless you have a strange Lagrangian, you shouldn't have to compute [itex]\partial_u (\partial_v \phi \partial^v \phi)[/itex]

stevendaryl said:
Why do you want that? The Euler-Lagrange equations of motion are:

[itex]\partial_u \frac{\partial \mathcal{L}}{\partial (\partial_u \phi)} = \frac{\partial \mathcal{L}}{\partial \phi}[/itex]

But [itex]\frac{\partial \mathcal{L}}{\partial (\partial_u \phi)} = \partial^u \phi[/itex] (assuming [itex]\mathcal{L} = \frac{1}{2} \partial_u \phi \partial^u \phi [/itex] + terms involving powers of [itex]\phi[/itex])

So unless you have a strange Lagrangian, you shouldn't have to compute [itex]\partial_u (\partial_v \phi \partial^v \phi)[/itex]
okay well I was trying to incrorporate Oroduin's hints since, as said in the OP, i can't get rid of the factor of 1/2 in the derivative term.

To give a specfic example if I consider: ##-1/2 \partial_u \phi \partial^u \phi - 1/2 m^2 \phi^2 ##
then, my previous method, before making this thread was:
##\frac{\partial L}{\partial \phi}= m^2 \phi##
##\frac{\partial L}{\partial_u \phi}= \partial^u \phi (-1/2) ##

therefore yielding ## \partial_u \frac{\partial L}{\partial_u \phi} - \frac{\partial L}{\partial \phi} = -1/2 \partial^u\partial_u \phi + m^2 \phi ##
whereas the EoM is : ## \partial^u \partial_u \phi -m^2 \phi^2 ##

But now, trying to use Oroduin's hint I rewrite as ## L=-1/2 \partial_u \phi g^{au} \partial_a \phi +m^2term... ##
Now looking at the derivative term I get ## \frac{\partial L}{\partial_u \phi} = =-1/2g^{au} ( \partial_a \phi \frac{\partial}{\partial_u \phi}(\partial_u \phi) + \partial_u \phi \frac{\partial}{\partial_u \phi}(\partial_a \phi))=-1/2 g^{au} ( \partial_a \phi (1) + \partial_u \phi \delta_{au}) ##
where I have used the product rule, and taken out the metric since it is the minkoski...

##= -1/2 (\partial^u \phi + g^{uu}\partial_u \phi) ##...

Last edited:
binbagsss said:
okay well I was trying to incrorporate Oroduin's hints since, as said in the OP, i can't get rid of the factor of 1/2 in the derivative term.

To give a specfic example if I consider: ##-1/2 \partial_u \phi \partial^u \phi - 1/2 m^2 \phi^2 ##
then, my previous method, before making this thread was:
##\frac{\partial L}{\partial \phi}= m^2 \phi##
##\frac{\partial L}{\partial_u \phi}= \partial^u \phi (-1/2) ##

therefore yielding ## \partial_u \frac{\partial L}{\partial_u \phi} - \frac{\partial L}{\partial \phi} = -1/2 \partial^u\partial_u \phi + m^2 \phi ##
whereas the EoM is :

But now, trying to use Oroduin's hint I rewrite as ## L=-1/2 \partial_u \phi g^{au} \partial_a \phi +m^2... ##
Now looking at the derivative term I get ## \frac{\partial L}{\partial \phi} = =-1/2g^{au} ( \partial_a \phi \frac{\partial}{\partial_u \phi}(\partial_u \phi) + \partial_u \phi \frac{\partial}{\partial_u \phi}(\partial_a \phi))=-1/2 g^{au} ( \partial_a \ phi (1) + \partial_u \delta_{au} ##
where I have used the product rule, and taken out the metric since it is the minkoski...

##= -1/2 (\partial^u + g^{aa}\partial_a) ##...

You have to be careful about indices. If you look at just the term [itex]\frac{1}{2} g^{au} (\partial_a \phi) (\partial_u \phi)[/itex] and you take a derivative with respect to [itex]\partial_u \phi[/itex], you have to realize that in [itex]\frac{1}{2} g^{au} (\partial_a \phi) (\partial_u \phi)[/itex], [itex]u[/itex] is a dummy index. You can replace it by [itex]v[/itex], say. So you have:

[itex]\frac{\partial}{\partial(\partial_u \phi)} \frac{1}{2} g^{av} (\partial_a \phi) (\partial_v \phi)[/itex]Now, [itex]\frac{\partial}{\partial(\partial_u \phi)} (\partial_a \phi) = 0[/itex] unless [itex]a=u[/itex]. So we can summarize it as:

[itex]\frac{\partial}{\partial(\partial_u \phi)} (\partial_a \phi) = \delta^u_a[/itex]

Similarly,

[itex]\frac{\partial}{\partial(\partial_u \phi)} (\partial_v \phi) = \delta^u_v[/itex]

So using the product rule gives you:

[itex]\frac{\partial}{\partial(\partial_u \phi)} \frac{1}{2} g^{av} (\partial_a \phi) (\partial_v \phi) = \frac{1}{2} g^{av} (\delta^u_a \partial_v \phi + \delta^u_v \partial_a \phi)[/itex]

Then we can use [itex]g^{av} \delta^u_a = g^{uv} \delta^u_a[/itex]. Summing over [itex]a[/itex] gives [itex]g^{uv}[/itex]. Similarly, [itex]g^{av} \delta^u_v = g^{au} \delta^u_v[/itex]. Summing over [itex]v[/itex] gives [itex]g^{au}[/itex]. So this simplifies to:[itex]\frac{1}{2} (g^{uv} \partial_v \phi + g^{au} \partial_a \phi)[/itex]

Those two terms are the same, since [itex]a[/itex] and [itex]v[/itex] are dummies and [itex]g^{au} = g^{ua}[/itex]. So we have:
[itex]g^{uv} \partial_v \phi[/itex]

The EoM are just:

[itex]\partial_u (g^{uv} \partial_v \phi) = \pm m^2 \phi[/itex]

(I don't remember whether the right side is a + or a -)

Likes binbagsss
stevendaryl said:
The EoM are just:
[itex]\partial_u (g^{uv} \partial_v \phi) = \pm m^2 \phi[/itex]

In flat spacetime, you can take the [itex]g^{uv}[/itex] outside the derivative.

Related to EoM from action, indices confused, (QFT)

1. What is the equation of motion (EoM) derived from the action in quantum field theory (QFT)?

The equation of motion (EoM) in QFT is derived from the action using the principle of least action. This principle states that a physical system will follow the path that minimizes the action, which is a functional that describes the dynamics of the system. The EoM is found by varying the action with respect to the fields in the theory, resulting in a set of coupled differential equations.

2. How is the EoM related to the Lagrangian and Hamiltonian formalism?

The EoM in QFT is related to the Lagrangian and Hamiltonian formalism through the principle of least action. The Lagrangian is a function of the fields and their derivatives, and is used to derive the EoM. The Hamiltonian, on the other hand, is a function of the fields and their conjugate momenta, and is used to study the dynamics of the system in terms of canonical variables.

3. Why do we use indices in QFT and how are they related to the EoM?

Indices in QFT are used to label different fields and their components, and are necessary for the EoM to be covariant under Lorentz transformations. The EoM, which is a set of coupled differential equations, will have indices corresponding to the different fields and their components, allowing for a consistent and elegant description of the dynamics of the system.

4. What does it mean when we say that the EoM is gauge invariant?

Gauge invariance is a fundamental concept in QFT, and it means that the EoM is unchanged under a transformation of the fields that leaves the Lagrangian invariant. This is important because it leads to the conservation of physical quantities, such as electric charge and energy, and allows for a consistent description of the dynamics of the system.

5. How do we solve the EoM in QFT?

The EoM in QFT can be solved in a variety of ways, depending on the specific theory and physical system being studied. In some cases, the EoM can be solved analytically, while in others, numerical methods must be used. Additionally, perturbation theory and other approximation methods can be employed to find solutions to the EoM in more complex systems.