Equation of motion from the action

In summary, Emilie is trying to find the equation of motion for the action described above, but is having difficulty. She has tried classical methods, but is not getting the answer she is looking for. She has also tried using general relativity concepts, but is still not getting the answer.
Emilie.Jung
Hello Physics Forums!

Supposing that we have an action that says:
$$L=\frac{1}{2}R-g_{C\bar{D}}\partial_{\mu}z^C\partial^{\mu}\bar{z}^D+\frac{1}{4} + \frac{1}{4}ImM_{IJ}F^I_{\mu\nu}\cdot F^{J\mu\nu} +\frac{1}{4}ReM_{IJ}F^I_{\mu\nu}\cdot \tilde{F}^{J\mu\nu}$$
where $$\tilde{F}^I_{\mu\nu}=\frac{1}{2}\epsilon_{\mu\nu}^{\mu'\nu'}F^I_{\mu'\nu'}$$
If I want to find the equation of motion of this, I know I can start from action and use the Euler Lagrange equation or directly use d*F=0 (Maxwell's equation).

This is one of the very rare times where I encounter general relativity as I am still a second year physics student. I have seen this sort of action (but way simpler) in my classical mechanics course) where we almost always use the Euler-Lagrange equation or vary the action with respect to the functional term and set it equal to zero and VOILA! you get the equation of motion you need. Here though I am finding a little of difficulty. The thing is that what was found for this action was the following answer:
$$d(ReM_{IJ}F^J+ImM_{IJ}\tilde{F}^J)=0.$$
I have tried so manyy ways to derive this but failed at it.

First, I tried to do it in the general way thinking I would avoid mistakes so I started by transforming the ##\tilde{F}^{\mu\nu}## to ##\frac{1}{2}\epsilon^{\rho\sigma\mu\nu}F_{\rho\sigma}## to get rid of the tilde and then deriving the action with respect to ##F^{\kappa\lambda}## and then set it equal to zero. BUT the procedure seems to take forever and I am not getting the answer above(It is too long I couldn't write it down, but if it matters I could type few of the details). I guess there is a better track to take, but I have no idea what it might be. On some websites, I found that instead of ##\partial^{\mu}F_{\mu\nu}## that we usually use in Classical Mechanics, there is now a G term, for example they write the maxwell equation as ##\partial^{\mu}G_{\mu\nu}## or something like that. You might relate to this better than I am. I am only trying to tell you what I have searched for before finally creating an account on this forum.

I am trying to practice those from the web in a spontaneous manner as my professor said she will bring us a bonus part in the coming exam that has to do with general relativity after she taught us a little of einstein indices operations. I know she might not bring this tough level but I am curious to know how things work in General Relativity and why if I followed the very classical way, I am not getting the answer above for the equation of motion? Any advice will be useful.

Yours,
Emilie.

Physics news on Phys.org
The ##F^I## are not the fundamental fields. Presumably they are given by ##F^I \equiv d A^I##. You need to vary the action with respect to the ##A^I##, not the ##F^I##.

But I know that if A is not explicitly shown in the action, I can just go ahead and vary the action with respect to the F. Is this wrong?

Emilie.Jung said:
But I know that if A is not explicitly shown in the action, I can just go ahead and vary the action with respect to the F. Is this wrong?

Very wrong. For one, no derivatives of F appear in the action, so you'll just get algebraic equations of motion that way.

What do you mean by "algebraic"equations of motion? Does this mean, I get this form ##d(ReM_{IJ}F^J+ImM_{IJ}\tilde{F}^J)=0##? Is this the algebraic form? Because this is all I need.

Emilie.Jung said:
What do you mean by "algebraic"equations of motion?

I mean the EoM won't have any derivatives in them, and there are no dynamics.

Does this mean, I get this form ##d(ReM_{IJ}F^J+ImM_{IJ}\tilde{F}^J)=0##? Is this the algebraic form? Because this is all I need.

No, because ##d## is a derivative.

Try something simpler first, like this:

$$S = -\frac14 \int F_{\mu\nu} F^{\mu\nu} \, d^4x, \qquad F \equiv d A.$$
You should be able to obtain

$$d \star F = 0$$

I will present what I did here:

$$S=-\frac{1}{4}\int{F_{\mu\nu}F^{\mu\nu}d^4x}$$
$$=-\frac{1}{4}\int{\delta F_{\mu\nu}F^{\mu\nu}d^4x+F_{\mu\nu}\delta F^{\mu\nu}d^x}$$
$$=-\frac{1}{4}\int{\delta(\partial_{\mu}A_{\nu}-\partial_{\nu}A_{\mu})F^{\mu\nu}d^4x+F_{\mu\nu}\delta(\partial^{\mu}A^{\nu}-\partial^{\nu}A^{\mu})d^4x}$$
I then expand terms,
$$=-\frac{1}{4}\int{(\partial_{\mu}\delta A_{\nu}F^{\mu\nu}-\partial_{\mu}\delta A_{\nu}F^{\nu\mu}+F_{\mu\nu}\partial^{\mu}g^{\nu\nu}\delta A_{\nu} -g^{\nu\nu}F_{\nu\mu}\partial^{\mu}\delta A_{\nu})d^4x}$$
$$=-\frac{1}{2}\int{(F^{\mu\nu}\partial_{\mu}+F^{\mu\nu}\partial_{\mu})\delta A_{\nu}}$$
setting this equal to zero, I get
$$F^{\mu\nu}\partial_{\mu}+F^{\mu\nu}\partial_{\mu}=0$$
where I do not get
$$d*F=0$$
Maybe I did a mistake somewhere.. @Ben Niehoff

Emilie.Jung said:
I will present what I did here:

$$S=-\frac{1}{4}\int{F_{\mu\nu}F^{\mu\nu}d^4x}$$
$$=-\frac{1}{4}\int{\delta F_{\mu\nu}F^{\mu\nu}d^4x+F_{\mu\nu}\delta F^{\mu\nu}d^x}$$
$$=-\frac{1}{4}\int{\delta(\partial_{\mu}A_{\nu}-\partial_{\nu}A_{\mu})F^{\mu\nu}d^4x+F_{\mu\nu}\delta(\partial^{\mu}A^{\nu}-\partial^{\nu}A^{\mu})d^4x}$$
I then expand terms,
$$=-\frac{1}{4}\int{(\partial_{\mu}\delta A_{\nu}F^{\mu\nu}-\partial_{\mu}\delta A_{\nu}F^{\nu\mu}+F_{\mu\nu}\partial^{\mu}g^{\nu\nu}\delta A_{\nu} -g^{\nu\nu}F_{\nu\mu}\partial^{\mu}\delta A_{\nu})d^4x}$$
$$=-\frac{1}{2}\int{(F^{\mu\nu}\partial_{\mu}+F^{\mu\nu}\partial_{\mu})\delta A_{\nu}}$$

At this point, you need to integrate by parts, so that ##\delta A_\mu## appears without any derivatives acting on it

Oh, then:
$$-\frac{1}{2}\int{2F^{\mu\nu}\partial_{\mu}\delta A_{nu}}$$
$$=-\int{F^{\mu\nu}\partial_{\mu}\delta A_{\nu}}$$
integration by parts
$$-F^{\mu\nu}\delta A_{\nu}+\int{\partial_{\mu}F^{\mu\nu}\delta A_{\nu}}$$
first terms goes away, and we set the second equal to zero to get
$$\partial_{\mu}F^{\mu\nu}=0$$
I am afraid I am not getting the dual of F here.. @Ben Niehoff

I don't suppose you considered writing out ##d \star F## in indices...

Sorry I don't know what you mean. As I have mentioned, I am a second year student and haven't really taken a course in General Relativity. If you may explain more by what you mean? @Ben Niehoff

Is this a homework problem? If you haven't done any GR, then how did you end up with an action for supergravity?

No this is not a homework. I am practicing different actions from the web in order to be prepared from my exam that will have a bonus question in my advanced classical mechanics course related to those (I mentioned this in my question). This I picked from an arxiv paper. In any case, I am solving a problem you set for me with an action different than the one I presented in my question, isn't this right? @Ben Niehoff

Related to Equation of motion from the action

1. What is the equation of motion from the action?

The equation of motion from the action is a fundamental principle in physics that describes the behavior of a system based on its energy and the forces acting upon it. It is derived from the principle of least action and is used to solve problems in classical mechanics.

2. How is the equation of motion derived from the action?

The equation of motion is derived through the principle of least action, which states that a system will follow a path that minimizes the action, a quantity that represents the total energy of the system. By taking the derivative of the action with respect to the system's coordinates, we can obtain the equations of motion.

3. What is the significance of the equation of motion from the action?

The equation of motion from the action is significant because it allows us to describe the behavior of a system in terms of its energy and forces. It is a powerful tool in solving problems in classical mechanics and has implications in other areas of physics, such as quantum mechanics.

4. Can the equation of motion from the action be applied to all systems?

The equation of motion from the action is a general principle that can be applied to any system, as long as it is described by a Lagrangian function. This includes classical mechanical systems, as well as systems in other areas of physics such as electrodynamics and thermodynamics.

5. Are there any limitations to the equation of motion from the action?

While the equation of motion from the action is a powerful and widely applicable principle, it does have some limitations. It is based on classical mechanics and does not take into account quantum effects. It also assumes that the system is in equilibrium and does not consider non-conservative forces such as friction and air resistance.