Equation to give the lookback time as a function of redshift

happyparticle
Homework Statement
Inverting ##z = H_0(t_0 - t_e) + (1 + \frac{q_0}{2}H_0^2(t_0 - t_e)^2)## to give the lookback time as a function of redshift ##t_0 - t_e = H_0^{-1}[z - (1 + \frac{q_0}{2})z^2]##
Relevant Equations
##H_0## is the Hubble's constant
##q_0## is the deceleration parameter
##z## is the redshift
Hi,
I'm currently reading the introduction to cosmology second edition by Barbara Ryden and at the page 105, the author says we get ##t_0 - t_e = H_0^{-1}[z - (1 + \frac{q_0}{2})z^2]## by inverting ##z = H_0(t_0 - t_e) + (1 + \frac{q_0}{2}H_0^2(t_0 - t_e)^2)##.

However, I can't figure out how she got this result.
Any help will be appreciate.

Thank you

Physics news on Phys.org
happyparticle said:
Homework Statement: Inverting ##z = H_0(t_0 - t_e) + (1 + \frac{q_0}{2}H_0^2(t_0 - t_e)^2)## to give the lookback time as a function of redshift ##t_0 - t_e = H_0^{-1}[z - (1 + \frac{q_0}{2})z^2]##
Relevant Equations: ##H_0## is the Hubble's constant
##q_0## is the deceleration parameter
##z## is the redshift

Hi,
I'm currently reading the introduction to cosmology second edition by Barbara Ryden and at the page 105, the author says we get ##t_0 - t_e = H_0^{-1}[z - (1 + \frac{q_0}{2})z^2]## by inverting ##z = H_0(t_0 - t_e) + (1 + \frac{q_0}{2}H_0^2(t_0 - t_e)^2)##.

However, I can't figure out how she got this result.
Any help will be appreciate.

Thank you
I believe you have some typographical errors. The formula for ##z## should read $$z \approx H_0(t_0-t_e) + \left(\frac{1+q_0}{2} \right)H_0^2(t_0-t_e)^2.$$
This is an approximate expression that assumes ##H_0(t_0-t_e)## is small. So, the equation expresses ##z## to second order in ##H_0(t_0-t_e)##.

For convenience, let ##x = H_0(t_0-t_e)## and ##b = \large \frac{1+q_0}{2}##. So, we may write the relation as $$z \approx x+ bx^2$$ where ##x## is a small first-order term. When inverting this, you only need to get an approximate expression for ##x## in terms of ##z## that is accurate to second order in ##z##.

Can you see a way to do that?

Likes MatinSAR, happyparticle and Delta2
I can't see it. I tried a taylor's series but I don't get the same result.

I made a mistake. I think it works with a Taylor's series around z=0.

Thank you! I would not have seen it without your help.

Last edited:
Likes MatinSAR