Equilibrium in a system containing I2 and I

In summary, the conversation discusses whether I2 and I will both contribute to the total pressure in a container, and if so, which method should be used to calculate their individual contributions. It is determined that both substances will contribute and that using mole fraction or volume composition should yield the same result. However, there is a discussion about taking the ratio of stoichiometric coefficients vs. using mole fraction, and it is concluded that taking mole fraction is the same as using stoichiometric coefficients if and only if all substances are completely reacted.
Kaushik
Summary:: .

Consider a container consisting of I2 and I in equilibrium.
I2 <-> 2I (Is there any to write chemical equations here?)
Will both of them separately contribute to the total pressure (as partial pressures)?
If no, why?
If yes, should we use mole fraction or volume composition to calculate individual contribution? I thought mole fraction was the right approach but unfortunately, in this case, it did not yield the answer.

Physics news on Phys.org
Doesn’t work like it used to...

Last edited:
Kaushik said:
Will both of them separately contribute to the total pressure (as partial pressures)?

Yes.

If yes, should we use mole fraction or volume composition to calculate individual contribution?

Most likely many ways to skin that cat, mole fraction should work OK.

I thought mole fraction was the right approach but unfortunately, in this case, it did not yield the answer.

Hard to comment not knowing what was the question, what was the answer given as a correct one, what you did nor what was the answer you got.

Likes Kaushik
Borek said:
Hard to comment not knowing what was the question, what was the answer given as a correct one, what you did nor what was the answer you got.
I think I just figured out the mistake. I took the ratio stoichiometric coefficients instead of the mole fraction.
Using ##PV = nRT## we can show that taking volume composition is the same as taking a mole fraction.

Yeah btw, one more question. Taking stoichiometric coefficients is same as taking mole fraction if and only if the reaction is of the form ##n(aA + bB -> cC + dD)##. Isn't it? Like mole of A is 'na', B is 'nb' and so on...So can we conclude it by saying that taking mole fraction is the same as stoichiometric coefficients if and only if there is no reactant left and everything is reacted completely (no limiting reagent)?
(it might be confusing...I couldn't express it properly. Hopefully, you will understand)

Not sure what you mean. Molar fraction is number of moles of the substance over total number of moles of all substances involved. In some cases it can be calculated with the help of stoichiometry, but that's not necessary - molar fraction of oxygen in the air is quite easy to calculate even if it doesn't react with any other atmosphere components.

Likes Kaushik

Related to Equilibrium in a system containing I2 and I

1. What is equilibrium in a system containing I2 and I?

Equilibrium in a system containing I2 and I refers to the state in which the forward and reverse reactions occur at equal rates, resulting in a constant concentration of I2 and I over time.

2. How is equilibrium achieved in a system containing I2 and I?

Equilibrium in a system containing I2 and I is achieved when the rate of the forward reaction is equal to the rate of the reverse reaction. This can be achieved by changing the temperature, pressure, or concentration of the reactants and products.

3. What is the significance of equilibrium in a system containing I2 and I?

The equilibrium in a system containing I2 and I is important because it allows for a stable concentration of reactants and products, allowing for a constant production of desired products. It also allows for a dynamic state where reactants continue to form products and products continue to form reactants.

4. How does Le Chatelier's principle apply to a system containing I2 and I?

Le Chatelier's principle states that when a stress is applied to a system at equilibrium, the system will shift in a way to counteract the stress and maintain equilibrium. In a system containing I2 and I, this means that if the concentration of one of the reactants or products is changed, the system will shift to either produce more reactants or products in order to maintain equilibrium.

5. Can equilibrium be disturbed in a system containing I2 and I?

Yes, equilibrium in a system containing I2 and I can be disturbed by changing the temperature, pressure, or concentration of the reactants and products. This will cause the system to shift in order to counteract the changes and maintain equilibrium.