Eratosthenes angle measurement

In summary, Eratosthenes used a direct measurement method to determine the angle of the stick, as there were no series solutions or calculators available at the time. Some sources suggest he may have used a scaphe or compass to make the measurement.
Taylor_1989
I am writing an article on Eratosthenes and am having a little trouble on how he actual found the angle of the stick. Because as far as I can gather there was no series solutions for any of the trig defin no calculators. All he knew was the length of the shadow and the height of the stick. I have personally tried scribing triangle inside a circle and seeing if I could see a relation but I cant.

I think the problem is I don’t actually know where sine and cosine come from, in how they where developed from a geometry stand point.

Could someone please give some advcie on the matter please

Physics news on Phys.org
I've heard he used a simultaneous measurement ~40 mi. south of Alexandria in a well.
Have you already read this one: http://www.eaae-astronomy.org/eratosthenes/eratosthenes-99456

Likes sophiecentaur
Taylor_1989 said:
I am writing an article on Eratosthenes and am having a little trouble on how he actual found the angle of the stick. Because as far as I can gather there was no series solutions for any of the trig defin no calculators. All he knew was the length of the shadow and the height of the stick. I have personally tried scribing triangle inside a circle and seeing if I could see a relation but I cant.

I've never seen a source that accounts for exactly how he made his measurement, but I'd wager it was a direct measurement and not something he calculated. Heath's book on Aristarchus mentions Eratosthenes measurement and claims that he measured the angle cast by the gnomon on his scaphe. The wikipedia article I linked speculates that he may have used a compass to measure the angle.

Related to Eratosthenes angle measurement

What is Eratosthenes angle measurement?

Eratosthenes angle measurement is a method used to measure the size of the Earth's circumference. It was developed by the ancient Greek mathematician and geographer, Eratosthenes, over 2000 years ago.

How does Eratosthenes angle measurement work?

The method involves measuring the angle of the sun's rays at two different locations on Earth at the same time. By knowing the distance between the two locations, the angle of the sun's rays, and using basic geometry, the Earth's circumference can be calculated.

Why is Eratosthenes angle measurement important?

Eratosthenes angle measurement was the first accurate measurement of the Earth's circumference, which was a significant scientific achievement. It also helped to prove the Earth's round shape and laid the foundation for modern methods of measuring the Earth's size.

What tools were used for Eratosthenes angle measurement?

Eratosthenes used basic tools such as a gnomon (a vertical rod or stick) and a protractor to measure the angle of the sun's rays. He also used basic geometry principles to calculate the Earth's circumference.

How accurate is Eratosthenes angle measurement?

Eratosthenes' calculation of the Earth's circumference was remarkably accurate for his time, with an error of only about 2%. However, modern methods have shown that his measurement was off by a few hundred kilometers, likely due to limitations in the accuracy of the tools and techniques used at the time.