Estimated spring back while bending 5052 aluminum

• Thread starter Ryoko
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Bending
Ryoko
I need to make a set of dies to roll form a 1" wide strip of 5052-H32 0.063" aluminum for a home project. The bend radius is 1T (0.063") and I want to bend it to 90 degrees. My understanding is that this type of aluminum is a bit springy. So if someone could give an estimate on how much spring back to expect it would be much appreciated.

Engineering news on Phys.org
That is a tight bend. My guess would be about 3°.
An experiment would help.
Make a simple 90° die and press a sample.
Measure the resulting angle to find the spring-back.

If there are dies for the rolls, available from a previous job, do the experiment with those.

If you press hard enough, you will coin the metal and there will be no spring back.

Likes jrmichler
Yes, it's a pretty steep bend. I need to make a 1/4" U-channel for use as an edging trim piece. So I'll be forming both sides of a flat strip. I'd use off-the-shelf trim, but they are either the wrong material or have sharp corners which is not desired for this application. I am going to make a set of rollers on my mighty Unimat lathe. Woot! I only need to make a couple of pieces.

Related to Estimated spring back while bending 5052 aluminum

1. How do you calculate estimated spring back while bending 5052 aluminum?

To calculate the estimated spring back while bending 5052 aluminum, you can use formulas that take into account the material properties, bending radius, and thickness of the aluminum sheet. These calculations are typically based on empirical data and may vary depending on the specific conditions of the bending process.

2. What factors affect the amount of spring back in 5052 aluminum?

The amount of spring back in 5052 aluminum is influenced by several factors, including the alloy composition, temper of the material, bending radius, thickness of the sheet, and the equipment and techniques used in the bending process. Additionally, the strain hardening characteristics of the material can also play a significant role in determining the amount of spring back.

3. Can the spring back in 5052 aluminum be minimized or eliminated?

While it may not be possible to completely eliminate spring back in 5052 aluminum, there are several techniques that can help minimize its effects. These include using proper tooling and equipment, adjusting the bending process parameters, and applying pre-bending or over-bending techniques to compensate for the expected spring back.

4. How does the temper of 5052 aluminum affect spring back?

The temper of 5052 aluminum can have a significant impact on the amount of spring back experienced during bending. For example, softer tempers may exhibit higher levels of spring back due to their lower strength and higher ductility, while harder tempers may have lower levels of spring back but may be more prone to cracking during bending.

5. Are there any guidelines or standards for estimating spring back in 5052 aluminum?

There are industry guidelines and standards that provide recommendations for estimating spring back in 5052 aluminum and other materials. These guidelines often include empirical formulas, charts, and tables that can be used to predict the amount of spring back based on the specific parameters of the bending process. It is important to refer to these guidelines and consult with experts in the field to ensure accurate estimations of spring back.