Evaluate Inverse of Hi M.H.B.: Math Problem

• MHB
  • Thread starter anemone
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Inverse
In summary, an expert from France has offered a great insight which leads to the approximate but not exact value of $f^{-1}\left(\dfrac{8}{5f\left(\dfrac{3}{8}\right)}\right)$.
anemone
Gold Member
MHB
POTW Director
Hi MHB,

The following problem has been a really vexing problem (for me) because I believe there would be a tricky way of approaching it but I could not solve it after working with it on and off for two days, it is an Olympiad math competition problem, and so far no one that I know of has solved it.

I think the time has come to ask for help at MHB. If anyone has ideas to solve it, I would appreciate the help.

Problem:

Let $f(x)=(x^{256}+1)(x^{64}+1)(x^{16}+1)(x^{4}+1)(x+1)$ for $0<x<1$.

Evaluate $f^{-1}\left(\dfrac{8}{5f\left(\dfrac{3}{8}\right)}\right)$.

My futile attempt is based on the core concept of utilizing the formula $f^{-1}(f(x))=x$ where I got

$f(x)=\dfrac{x^{512}-1}{(x-1)(x^2+1)(x^8+1)(x^{32}+1)(x^{128}+1)}$ that leads to $\dfrac{1}{(1-x)f(x)}=\dfrac{(x^2+1)(x^8+1)(x^{32}+1)(x^{128}+1)}{1-x^{512}}$, unfortunately all of these did not help to shed any insight for me to proceed.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
anemone said:
...that leads to $\dfrac{1}{(1-x)f(x)}=\dfrac{(x^2+1)(x^8+1)(x^{32}+1)(x^{128}+1)}{1-x^{512}}$, unfortunately all of these did not help to shed any insight for me to proceed.

Good afternoon,

I don't know if this could be a step into the right direction, but you can factor the denominator into a lot of factors:

\(\displaystyle 1-x^{512} = (x + 1)(1 - x)(x^2 + 1)(x^4 + 1)(x^8 + 1)(x^{16} + 1)(x^{32} + 1)(x^{64} + 1)(x^{128} + 1)(x^{256} + 1)\)

Now cancel as much factors as possible.

earboth said:
Good afternoon,

I don't know if this could be a step into the right direction, but you can factor the denominator into a lot of factors:

\(\displaystyle 1-x^{512} = (x + 1)(1 - x)(x^2 + 1)(x^4 + 1)(x^8 + 1)(x^{16} + 1)(x^{32} + 1)(x^{64} + 1)(x^{128} + 1)(x^{256} + 1)\)

Now cancel as much factors as possible.

Hi earboth!

Thank you for the reply...but even after cancelling out the common factors, I could not see what I could do further to evaluate target expression...:(

$\dfrac{1}{(1-x)f(x)}=\dfrac{1}{(x^2-1)(x^4+1)(x^{16}+1)(x^{64}+1)(x^{256}+1)}$

Someone from France, an expert of solving Olympiad Mathematics problems has offered me a great insight which I thought to share it with members at MHB. But I have to say it out loud here that his approach led to the approximate but not exact value of $f^{-1}\left(\dfrac{8}{5f\left(\dfrac{3}{8}\right)}\right)$.

He mentioned about since $f(x)=(x^{256}+1)(x^{64}+1)(x^{16}+1)(x^{4}+1)(x+1)$, then we have $f(x^2)=(x^{512}+1)(x^{128}+1)(x^{32}+1)(x^{8}+1)(x^2+1)$ and note that

\(\displaystyle (x+1)(x^2 + 1)(x^4 + 1)(x^8 + 1)(x^{16} + 1)(x^{32} + 1)(x^{64} + 1)(x^{128} + 1)(x^{256} + 1)(x^{512}+1)=\dfrac{(x^{2014}+1)}{(x-1)}\)

We then obtained $f(x)f(x^2)=\dfrac{(x^{2014}-1)}{(x-1)}=\dfrac{(1-x^{2014})}{(1-x)}$.

At $x=\dfrac{3}{8}$, $f\left(\dfrac{3}{8}\right)f\left(\dfrac{3}{8}\right)^2=\dfrac{1-\left(\dfrac{3}{8}\right)^{2014}}{1-\left(\dfrac{3}{8}\right)}\approx \dfrac{8}{5}$.

Therefore, $f\left(\dfrac{3}{8}\right)^2\approx \dfrac{8}{5f\left(\dfrac{3}{8}\right)}$ and hence $f^{-1}\left(\dfrac{8}{5f\left(\dfrac{3}{8}\right)}\right)\approx \dfrac{9}{64}$.

Related to Evaluate Inverse of Hi M.H.B.: Math Problem

1. What is the "Evaluate Inverse of Hi M.H.B." math problem?

The "Evaluate Inverse of Hi M.H.B." math problem is a question that asks you to find the inverse of a given function. In this case, the function is represented by the letters "Hi M.H.B." and you are asked to find the inverse of this function.

2. How do I solve the "Evaluate Inverse of Hi M.H.B." math problem?

To solve this math problem, you will need to follow a set of steps. First, you will need to rewrite the function as a set of ordered pairs. Then, you will need to switch the x and y values of each ordered pair. Next, you will need to solve for y to get the inverse function. Finally, you will need to replace the y with f^-1(x) and simplify the expression.

3. What is an inverse function?

An inverse function is a function that "undoes" the original function. In other words, if you plug in the output of the original function into the inverse function, you will get the input of the original function. Inverse functions are represented by f^-1(x) and are found by switching the x and y values of the original function.

4. Why is it important to find the inverse of a function?

Finding the inverse of a function is important because it allows you to "undo" the function. This can be useful in real-world applications, such as solving for an unknown variable in an equation or finding the original value from a percentage increase or decrease.

5. Are there any tricks or shortcuts for solving the "Evaluate Inverse of Hi M.H.B." math problem?

There are no specific tricks or shortcuts for solving this math problem. However, it is important to have a strong understanding of algebra and the concept of inverse functions. It may also be helpful to practice solving similar problems to become more familiar with the process.