Evanescent waves at change of cross section

In summary, the conversation discusses the behavior of evanescent waves in a Bernoulli-Beam with a constant jump in cross-section. The differential equations for the bending are mentioned, as well as the transition conditions for a traveling wave arriving at the jump. The question arises on how evanescent waves propagate, with consideration for the steady state solution and the transient behavior. It is noted that evanescent waves do not propagate, but it is also questioned how they can suddenly appear without being absorbed. An electrical analogy is suggested for further understanding.
snejburg
Hey guys,

if I consider a Bernoulli-Beam with a constant jump in cross- section as shown below
picture1.png

Then I get the two differential equations for the bending mentioned above.

Let us now assume that a traveling wave from the left w_incident = C*cos(k_1*x - ωt) arrives at t = 0 at the jump of cross section. If I know claim the following transition conditions:
Screen Shot 2017-08-03 at 00.33.39.png

I get the following results for w_1 and w2:
Screen Shot 2017-08-03 at 00.34.44.png

The question is: How do the evanescent waves (exponential decaying waves) propagate? The formula says, that every point x of w_2 already has a displacement so that might be the steady state solution. But how can I get the transient behaviour? Therefore I need to know how the evanescent wave propagates. But I often read that evanescent waves do not propagate...But they cannot just be there all of a sudden, can they?

Your help is much appreciated,
Jens

Engineering news on Phys.org
snejburg said:
Hey guys,

if I consider a Bernoulli-Beam with a constant jump in cross- section as shown below View attachment 208206
Then I get the two differential equations for the bending mentioned above.

Let us now assume that a traveling wave from the left w_incident = C*cos(k_1*x - ωt) arrives at t = 0 at the jump of cross section. If I know claim the following transition conditions:
View attachment 208207
I get the following results for w_1 and w2:
View attachment 208209

The question is: How do the evanescent waves (exponential decaying waves) propagate? The formula says, that every point x of w_2 already has a displacement so that might be the steady state solution. But how can I get the transient behaviour? Therefore I need to know how the evanescent wave propagates. But I often read that evanescent waves do not propagate...But they cannot just be there all of a sudden, can they?

Your help is much appreciated,
Jens
I can only look at the beam as an electrical analogy.
How can you have a traveling wave if the end of the system is free and does not absorb the energy? With your system, all energy is trapped and will appear as standing waves.

Related to Evanescent waves at change of cross section

1. What are evanescent waves at change of cross section?

Evanescent waves at change of cross section refer to the phenomena of a decrease in the amplitude of a wave as it propagates through a medium with a varying cross-sectional area. This causes the wave to become weaker and eventually disappear as it reaches the boundary of the medium.

2. How are evanescent waves at change of cross section different from regular waves?

Unlike regular waves, evanescent waves at change of cross section do not continue to travel through the medium with the same amplitude. Instead, their amplitude decreases as the cross-sectional area of the medium changes.

3. What causes evanescent waves at change of cross section to occur?

Evanescent waves at change of cross section are caused by the conservation of energy and momentum in a medium. As the cross-sectional area of the medium changes, the energy and momentum of the wave must also change, resulting in a decrease in amplitude.

4. What are some real-world applications of evanescent waves at change of cross section?

Evanescent waves at change of cross section are important in fields such as optics, acoustics, and electromagnetics. They are used in technologies such as fiber optics, where the changing cross-sectional area of the fiber allows for the transmission of light signals.

5. Can evanescent waves at change of cross section be controlled or manipulated?

Yes, evanescent waves at change of cross section can be controlled and manipulated through the use of specialized materials and structures. This allows for the development of technologies such as waveguides and nanophotonic devices.