Excellent Way to Get Your Feet Wet with Longer Documents

• MHB
  • Thread starter Ackbach
  • Start date
In summary, Overleaf is a good choice for those who want to use a collaborative environment with less hassle.
Ackbach
Gold Member
MHB
I know others on MHB have discovered Overleaf, but I thought I'd point it out. It has a number of advantages for the newbie (and maybe even a few for the more advanced user!):

1. It tiles your input and output files automatically for you - one severe disadvantage of a vim setup unless you're extraordinary with scripting. I find this invaluable for lots of small files, and I also find it annoying that a number of $\LaTeX$ editors don't even tell you in advance whether they have this feature or not. I think it's really important, because otherwise I spend an inordinate amount of time manually resizing all the necessary windows.

2. You don't have to install $\LaTeX$. Overleaf has a very large number of packages already installed, including tikz.

3. Vim keybindings if you wish (or none at all), allowing you to take advantage of quite a few of those incredibly fast vim commands.

4. Your files are stored in the cloud. This is great if you're connected to the Internet - not so nice if you're not connected. You can upgrade to a professional account, which allows more collaborators, as well as Dropbox support. I think $\$12$ per month is fairly reasonable.

One tip: Ctrl-Enter re-compiles.

Cons: Web site is sometimes a bit slow.

But think about the advantages for someone just starting out learning $\LaTeX$: naturally, there's MHB and one or two tutorials that we have. However, MathJax is a bit limited in some ways, and you definitely don't have the full power of $\LaTeX$ on this forum. If you want to write a paper, MHB isn't the right vehicle. But you could definitely do it on Overleaf. So I recommend checking it out.

Physics news on Phys.org
Personally I find the Overleaf editor quite slow and unpleasant to use, but I do recommend Overleaf very much as an environment for collaborative writing. Namely, if you -- like me -- prefer to do most of your writing offline on your own computer, you can still take advantage of Overleaf's positive aspects by using their Git bridge.

(Note: Git is a system for distributed version control. The implementation on Overleaf does not allow branching, though locally you can of course do whatever you want, as long as you merge into your master branch before pushing an update to Overleaf.)

I thought this could be helpful information for people who do have the need for a collaborative writing environment but who don't want to give up on their own editor and local setup.

Related to Excellent Way to Get Your Feet Wet with Longer Documents

What is the "Excellent Way to Get Your Feet Wet with Longer Documents"?

The "Excellent Way to Get Your Feet Wet with Longer Documents" is a method that helps individuals become more familiar and confident with writing longer documents, such as research papers or reports.

Why is it important to be comfortable with writing longer documents?

Being comfortable with writing longer documents is important because it allows individuals to effectively communicate their ideas and research in a clear and organized manner. This is particularly important in fields such as science where accurate and thorough documentation is crucial.

What are some tips for using the "Excellent Way to Get Your Feet Wet with Longer Documents" method?

Some tips for using this method include breaking the document into smaller, manageable sections, creating an outline before starting to write, and setting aside dedicated time for writing each day. Additionally, it can be helpful to seek feedback from peers or mentors to improve the document.

How can this method benefit scientists specifically?

This method can benefit scientists by helping them effectively communicate their research findings to a wider audience, including other scientists, policymakers, and the general public. It also allows for a more organized and structured approach to writing, which can save time and improve the overall quality of the document.

Are there any resources available to assist with using the "Excellent Way to Get Your Feet Wet with Longer Documents" method?

Yes, there are various resources available such as writing workshops, online tutorials, and writing centers that can provide guidance and support for using this method. Additionally, there are many books and articles on effective writing techniques that can be helpful for scientists looking to improve their writing skills.