Existence of Limit: a and b Value?

In summary: Yes, you're right. You don't need to distinguish. (I was thinking of exponents, where you do.) And indeed, with a=0, b=3, the limit is 0.
hehehe
Moved from a technical forum, so homework template missing
what value of the constants a and b if the following limit exists
lim (ax + |x + 1|)|x + b − 2| |x + 1|
x→−1

|x|= x for x≥ 0 and |x|= -x for x<0
|x+1|= x+1 for x≥ -1 and |x+1|= -(x+1) for x<-1
I don't know how to determine |x + b − 2| is positive or negative.

i know that if limit exists, lim x→ −1 ^- f(x) =lim x→ −1 ^+ f(x)

but i cannot cancell the factor x + 1

Physics news on Phys.org

Homework Statement

http://holland.pk/nwhxy2ji
2. Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

i tired to solve it,but i cannot cancell the factor x + 1

Last edited by a moderator:
hehehe said:

Homework Statement

http://holland.pk/nwhxy2ji
2. Homework Equations [/B]

The Attempt at a Solution

i tired to solve it,but i cannot cancell the factor x + 1
I've not solved the whole exercise, but you could start by simplifying the problem somewhat.
Clearly the denominator is 0 when x=-1. So if the numerator isn't equal to 0 in x=-1, there is no way the limit will exist.
What can you tell about a and/or b if you require the numerator to be 0 in x=-1?

Last edited by a moderator:
Samy_A said:
I've not solved the whole exercise, but you could start by simplifying the problem somewhat.
Clearly the denominator is 0 when x=-1. So if the numerator isn't equal to 0 in x=-1, there is no way the limit will exist.
What can you tell about a and/or b if you require the numerator to be 0 in x=-1?
(ax+ (x+1)) |x+b-2| =0 for x≥-1
(ax+ (x+1))=0
a=-(x+1)/x

or |x+b-2| =0
b=2-x

(ax-(x+1)) |x+b-2| =0 for x<-1
a=(x+1)/x

or |x+b-2| =0
b=2-x

(x+1)/x =-(x+1)/x
x=-1

b=2-(-1)=3

a=-1 and b=3 when limit will exist
is it right ?
thank you

hehehe said:
(ax+ (x+1)) |x+b-2| =0 for x≥-1
(ax+ (x+1))=0
a=-(x+1)/x

or |x+b-2| =0
b=2-x

(ax-(x+1)) |x+b-2| =0 for x<-1
a=(x+1)/x

or |x+b-2| =0
b=2-x

(x+1)/x =-(x+1)/x
x=-1

b=2-(-1)=3

a=-1 and b=3 when limit will exist
is it right ?
thank you
No, you made an error somewhere.

You make it way too complicated. You don't (at this stage) have to distinguish between x≤-1 and x≥-1.
All you have to do is set the numerator at x=-1 to 0.
That will give you necessary conditions on a and/or b.

After that, you still will have to check if the limit exists if a and/or b meet the conditions, and if the limits exists, compute it. This all turns out to be rather straightforward, though.

Samy_A said:
No, you made an error somewhere.

You make it way too complicated. You don't (at this stage) have to distinguish between x≤-1 and x≥-1.
All you have to do is set the numerator at x=-1 to 0.
That will give you necessary conditions on a and/or b.

After that, you still will have to check if the limit exists if a and/or b meet the conditions, and if the limits exists, compute it. This all turns out to be rather straightforward, though.
at x=-1
(ax+ (x+1)) |x+b-2| =0
-a|b-3| =0
a=0 , b=3 but i have a problem , can |b-3| = b-3?
i put a=0 and b=3 to the lim
and do it in left-hand limits and right-hand limits

left-hand limits=right-hand limits=0 ,so it exists

is it right?

Samy_A thank you

hehehe said:
at x=-1
(ax+ (x+1)) |x+b-2| =0
-a|b-3| =0
a=0 , b=3 but i have a problem , can |b-3| = b-3?
Yes, this is correct. At least if you meant that a=0 or b=3. These two conditions don't have both to be true (although they can both be true of course).

Whether b-3 is positive or negative in the case a=0 doesn't matter: 0|b-3| will be 0 anyway.
hehehe said:
i put a=0 and b=3 to the lim
and do it in left-hand limits and right-hand limits

left-hand limits=right-hand limits=0 ,so it exists

is it right?
I'm not sure I understand what you did here. The limit isn't necessarily 0 though.
I would treat the two cases (a=0, b=3) separately.

For example, in the case a=0, the expression becomes:##\frac{|x+1||x+b-2|}{|x+1|}=|x+b-2|## for ##x \neq -1##. Calculating the limit for ##x \to-1## is then straightforward.
Similarly for the case b=3.

hehehe said:
Samy_A thank you
You are welcome.

Samy_A said:
Whether b-3 is positive or negative in the case a=0 doesn't matter: 0|b-3| will be 0 anyway.
I'm not sure I understand what you did here. The limit isn't necessarily 0 though.
I would treat the two cases (a=0, b=3) separately.

For example, in the case a=0, the expression becomes:##\frac{|x+1||x+b-2|}{|x+1|}=|x+b-2|## for ##x \neq -1##. Calculating the limit for ##x \to-1## is then straightforward.
Similarly for the case b=3.
##|x+b-2|## for ##x \neq -1## , i don't know what is your meaning
if i just substitute -1 to the limit , then i get lim ##x \to-1## ##|x+b-2|## the next step is that do it in left-hand limits and right-hand limits?
but i don't not have to distinguish |x+b-2|?

hehehe said:
##|x+b-2|## for ##x \neq -1## , i don't know what is your meaning
if i just substitute -1 to the limit , then i get lim ##x \to-1## ##|x+b-2|## the next step is that do it in left-hand limits and right-hand limits?
but i don't not have to distinguish |x+b-2|?
Let's give the expression a name: ##\displaystyle f(x)=\frac{(ax+|x+1|)|x+b-2|}{|x+1|}## (for ##x \neq -1)##.
You are asked to establish whether ##\displaystyle \lim_{x\rightarrow -1} f(x)## exists, and if so, what the limit is.

We already know that the limit can only exist if a=0 or b=3 (or both).

For a=0, we can simplify the expression for ##f(x)##:
##\displaystyle f(x)=\frac{(ax+|x+1|)|x+b-2|}{|x+1|}=\frac{(0x+|x+1|)|x+b-2|}{|x+1|}=\frac{|x+1||x+b-2|}{|x+1|}=|x+b-2|## (for ##x \neq -1##).

So, in the case a=0, you have to compute ##\displaystyle \lim_{x\rightarrow -1} f(x)=\lim_{x\rightarrow -1}|x+b-2|##.
That's an easy limit to compute, no need to distinguish left-hand and right-hand limits.

And similarly for the other case, b=3.

Samy_A said:
Let's give the expression a name: ##\displaystyle f(x)=\frac{(ax+|x+1|)|x+b-2|}{|x+1|}## (for ##x \neq -1)##.
You are asked to establish whether ##\displaystyle \lim_{x\rightarrow -1} f(x)## exists, and if so, what the limit is.

We already know that the limit can only exist if a=0 or b=3 (or both).

For a=0, we can simplify the expression for ##f(x)##:
##\displaystyle f(x)=\frac{(ax+|x+1|)|x+b-2|}{|x+1|}=\frac{(0x+|x+1|)|x+b-2|}{|x+1|}=\frac{|x+1||x+b-2|}{|x+1|}=|x+b-2|## (for ##x \neq -1##).

So, in the case a=0, you have to compute ##\displaystyle \lim_{x\rightarrow -1} f(x)=\lim_{x\rightarrow -1}|x+b-2|##.
That's an easy limit to compute, no need to distinguish left-hand and right-hand limits.

And similarly for the other case, b=3.

##\lim_{x\rightarrow -1}|x+b-2| = |b-3|## but i don't know that value of b when a=0 ,how can i compute.
similarly,when b=3, ##\lim_{x\rightarrow -1}(ax+|x+1|) = -a## ,it is same with the above one
when a=0 ,b=3 ,##\displaystyle \lim_{x\rightarrow -1} f(x) = 0 ##

hehehe said:
##\lim_{x\rightarrow -1}|x+b-2| = |b-3|## but i don't know that value of b when a=0 ,how can i compute.
similarly,when b=3, ##\lim_{x\rightarrow -1}(ax+|x+1|) = -a## ,it is same with the above one
when a=0 ,b=3 ,##\displaystyle \lim_{x\rightarrow -1} f(x) = 0 ##
Correct.
When a=0, the limit is |b-3|. You can't say more. This limit exists for all values of b.
Similarly, when b=3, the limit is -a. This limit exists for all values of a.

Samy_A said:
Correct.
When a=0, the limit is |b-3|. You can't say more. This limit exists for all values of b.
Similarly, when b=3, the limit is -a. This limit exists for all values of a.
thank you, you are a patient and good teacher.
you have a full explanation ,thank you again.

Related to Existence of Limit: a and b Value?

1. What is the definition of a limit?

A limit is a fundamental concept in calculus that represents the value that a function approaches as its input approaches a certain value. It is denoted by the symbol "lim" and is used to describe the behavior of a function near a particular input.

2. How is the limit of a function calculated?

The limit of a function can be calculated using various methods, such as algebraic manipulation, graphical analysis, and using the limit laws. These methods involve evaluating the function at different values of the input and observing the behavior of the function as the input approaches a certain value.

3. What is the difference between a and b value in the existence of limit?

The "a" value in the existence of limit refers to the input value that the function is approaching, while the "b" value refers to the limit itself. In other words, "a" is the value that the function is getting closer and closer to, and "b" is the value that the function is approaching as the input gets closer to "a".

4. Can a function have a limit at a point where it is not defined?

Yes, a function can have a limit at a point where it is not defined. This is because the limit is not concerned with the actual value of the function at that point, but rather the behavior of the function as the input approaches that point.

5. What does it mean if a function has a limit at a point?

If a function has a limit at a point, it means that the function is approaching a specific value as the input gets closer and closer to that point. The value of the limit represents the behavior of the function at that point and can help determine the continuity and differentiability of the function.