Expanding f(z) in a Laurent Series for |z|>3

In summary, the given problem involves finding a Laurent series for f(z)=1/(z(z-1)) in the annular domain where |z|>3. The first step is to use partial fractions to get -1/3z + 1/(3(z-3)). This can be further simplified to 1/z(z-3). The desired series is then 3/z + 32/z2 + 33/z3 ... and the region of convergence is |z|>3.
cragar

Homework Statement

expand [itex] f(z)=\frac{1}{z(z-1)} [/itex] in a laurent series valid for the given annular domain.
|z|> 3

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

first I do partial fractions to get
[itex] \frac{-1}{3z} +\frac{1}{3(z-3)} [/itex]
then in the second fraction I factor out a z in the denominator to give me a geometric series
where 3/z is the common ration and converges for 3/z<1 and then 3<z.

so I get for my series [itex] \frac{-1}{3z}+\frac{1}{3z}[1+\frac{3}{z}+\frac{3^2}{z^2}+... ] [/itex]

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi cragar:

When I combine -1/3z + 1/3(z-3) I get 1/z(z-3).

Regards,
Buzz

oh right i mistyped the problem it has a z-3 factor in the original factor

cragar said:
converges for 3/z<1 and then 3<z.
Hi cragar:

The series simplifies to 3/z + 32/z2 + 33/z3 ...
The problem statement requests a series that converges for |z| > 3. Be careful to keep the absolute value notation.The region of convergence consists of all complex numbers outside the circle of radius 3 with its center at the origin z=0.

Regards,
Buzz

Related to Expanding f(z) in a Laurent Series for |z|>3

1. What is a Laurent series?

A Laurent series is a mathematical representation of a complex function in terms of its power series expansion, where the function is defined over an annulus (a ring-shaped region) in the complex plane.

2. How is the Laurent series different from a Taylor series?

A Taylor series is a special case of a Laurent series, where the function is defined over a disc (a circular region) in the complex plane. The Laurent series includes both positive and negative powers of the complex variable, while the Taylor series only includes positive powers.

3. Why is the Laurent series useful?

The Laurent series allows us to approximate a complex function in a region where it may not be defined. It also provides a way to analyze the behavior of a function near a singularity (a point where the function is undefined).

4. What does "expanding f(z) in a Laurent Series for |z|>3" mean?

This means that we are finding a Laurent series representation for a complex function, f(z), in the region of the complex plane where the absolute value of z is greater than 3. This is a specific region within the complex plane, rather than the entire plane.

5. How do you find the coefficients in a Laurent series expansion?

The coefficients in a Laurent series expansion can be found using the formula: cn = (1/2πi) ∫γ f(z) (z-z0)-n-1 dz, where γ is a contour (a closed curve) that encloses the point z0 and is contained within the region of interest. This process is known as Cauchy's integral formula.