Expectation value of position

In summary, the conversation discusses how to prove the equation for the expectation value of the position coordinate for a one-dimensional free-particle wave packet. Hints are given to use the fact that the derivative of the wave function with respect to momentum can be expressed as a combination of the position and momentum operators. The attempted solution involves integrating the wave function and manipulating expressions to arrive at the desired equation, but an extra term is found that is not present in the given equation. It is unclear if this extra term should be zero.
Doitright

Homework Statement

Show that, for a general one-dimensional free-particle wave packet

$$\psi (x,t) = (2 \pi h)^{-1/2} \int_{-\infty}^{\infty} exp [i (p_x x - p_x^2 t / 2 m)/h] \phi (p_x) dp_x$$

the expectation value <x> of the position coordinate satisfies the equation

$$<x> = <x>_{t=t_0} + \frac{<p_x>}{m}(t - t_0)$$

Hints:

Use the fact that

$$\frac{\partial}{\partial p_x} exp[i (p_x x - p_x^2 t / 2 m)/h] = \frac{i}{h} (x - p_x t / m) exp[i (p_x x - p_x^2 t / 2 m)/h]$$

to show that

$$<x> = \int_{-\infty}^{\infty} \phi^* (p_x) [ih \frac{\partial}{\partial p_x} +\frac{p_x}{m}t]\phi(p_x)dp_x$$

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

[/B]
I am struggling to prove what is mentioned in hints, ie:

$$<x> = \int_{-\infty}^{\infty} \phi^* (p_x) [ih \frac{\partial}{\partial p_x} +\frac{p_x}{m}t]\phi(p_x)dp_x$$

$$<x> = \int_{-\infty}^{\infty} \psi^*(x,t)x\psi(x,t)dx$$
$$= (2 \pi h)^{-1} \int_{-\infty}^{\infty} \int_{-\infty}^{\infty} exp [-i (p'_x x - p_x^{'2} t / 2 m)/h] \phi (p'_x) dp'_x (ih \frac{\partial}{\partial p_x}) $$
$$\int_{-\infty}^{\infty} exp [i (p_x x - p_x^2 t / 2 m)/h] \phi (p_x) dp_x dx$$

I am able to get

$$<x> = \int_{-\infty}^{\infty} \phi^* (p_x) [ih \frac{\partial}{\partial p_x} +\frac{p_x}{m}t - x]\phi(p_x)dp_x$$

I get one more term $$-\phi^*(p_x) x \phi(p_x)$$ than what is shown in the hints. I am wondering whether this extra term should be zero.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi, I am wondering the extra term I get, which is different from what is asked to prove in the hints, ie,

$$\int_{-\infty}^{\infty} -\phi^*(p_x) x \phi(p_x) dp_x$$

is equal to zero?

The steps:
$$<x> = \int_{-\infty}^{\infty} \psi^*(x,t)x\psi(x,t)dx$$
$$= (2 \pi h)^{-1} \int_{-\infty}^{\infty} \int_{-\infty}^{\infty} exp [-i (p'_x x - p_x^{'2} t / 2 m)/h] \phi^* (p'_x) dp'_x (ih \frac{\partial}{\partial p_x})$$
$$\int_{-\infty}^{\infty} exp [i (p_x x - p_x^2 t / 2 m)/h] \phi (p_x) dp_x dx$$
$$= (2 \pi h)^{-1} i h \int_{-\infty}^{\infty} dp'_x \int_{-\infty}^{\infty} dp_x \int_{-\infty}^{\infty} dx exp [-i (p'_x x - p_x^{'2} t / 2 m)/h] \phi^* (p'_x)$$
$$<\frac{i}{h} (x - \frac{p_x t}{m}) exp [i (p_x x - p_x^2 t / 2 m)/h] \phi (p_x) + exp [i (p_x x - p_x^2 t / 2 m)/h] \frac{\partial \phi(p_x)}{\partial p_x}>$$
$$= i h \int_{-\infty}^{\infty} dp'_x \int_{-\infty}^{\infty} dp_x \delta(p_x - p'_x) exp [\frac{i p_x^{'2} t}{2 h m}] exp [\frac{-i p_x^{2} t}{2 h m}] \phi^* (p'_x) $$
$$<\frac{i}{h} (x - \frac{p_x t}{m}) + \frac{\partial}{\partial p_x}> \phi(p_x)$$
$$= i h \int_{-\infty}^{\infty} \phi^* (p_x) <\frac{i}{h} (x - \frac{p_x t}{m}) + \frac{\partial}{\partial p_x}> \phi(p_x) dp_x$$
$$= \int_{-\infty}^{\infty} \phi^* (p_x) (- x + \frac{p_x t}{m} + i h \frac{\partial}{\partial p_x}) \phi(p_x) dp_x$$

And I get the extra term,
$$\int_{-\infty}^{\infty} -\phi^*(p_x) x \phi(p_x) dp_x$$
which I am not sure if it's zero.

Related to Expectation value of position

What is the expectation value of position?

The expectation value of position is a measure used in quantum mechanics to determine the average position of a particle in a particular state. It is represented by the symbol <x> and is calculated by taking the integral of the position operator with respect to the wavefunction of the particle.

How is the expectation value of position related to uncertainty?

The expectation value of position is related to the uncertainty principle, which states that the more precisely the position of a particle is known, the less precisely its momentum can be known. This means that the smaller the uncertainty in position, the larger the uncertainty in momentum, and vice versa.

Can the expectation value of position be negative?

No, the expectation value of position cannot be negative. This is because position is a physical quantity that cannot have a negative value. The expectation value is an average of all possible positions, and therefore it must be a positive value.

How does the expectation value of position change with time?

The expectation value of position can change with time if the particle is in a state that is not an energy eigenstate. In this case, the wavefunction of the particle will evolve over time, causing the expectation value of position to also change with time.

What is the significance of the expectation value of position in quantum mechanics?

The expectation value of position is a fundamental concept in quantum mechanics and is used to make predictions about the position of particles in various states. It is also used in calculations and experiments to understand the behavior of particles at the quantum level.