Explicitly Deriving Spinor Representations from Lorentz Group

In summary, the author introduced the Lorentz group, four parts of the Lorentz group, spinors, group representations, and derivation of unimodular matrices. He then asks a question and provides an answer.
JonnyMaddox
I'm currently reading a book on relativistic field theory and I'm trying to understand spinors.
After the author introduces the four parts of the Lorentz group he talks about spinors and group representations:

"...With this concept we see that the 2x2 unimodular matrices A discussed in the previous section form a two-dimensional representation of the restricted Lorentz group L_+ (and arrow up)"

The derivation is not clear to me and the author is very abstract in his explanations. But I want to know how to explicitly derive this unimodular matrices. I know a little bit about group theory, for example how to represent the group Z3 as matrices with this formula [itex][D(g)]_{ij}=<i|D(g)|j>[/itex] and it's simple. I know there is a difference because the Lorentz group is a continuous group but maybe there is also such a simple way to derive the spinor representation. I want to know how to explicitly derive spinors from the Lorentz group.

I know that you can write that a four vector corresponds to a 2x2 matrix via:

[itex]\begin{pmatrix} x^{0}+x^{3} & x^{1}-ix^{2} \\ x^{1}+ix^{2} & x^{0}-x^{3} \end{pmatrix}[/itex]
Now is this already a spinor?

Physics news on Phys.org
2x2 unimodular matrices form a repesentation of the universal cover of the restricted Lorentz, i.e, the restricted Lorentz group is not simply connected.

The space of 4-vectors is a tensor product of 2-component spinor spaces.

For a somewhat readable mathematical exposition of this, see the book "The Geometry of Minkowski Spacetime" by Gregory Naber.

Ok thank you. Ok another question.
You can map a four vector to a 2x2 complex matrix like this:

[itex]X= \begin{pmatrix} x^{0}+x^{3} & x^{1}-ix^{2} \\ x^{1}+ix^{2} & x^{0}-x^{3} \end{pmatrix}[/itex]

while

[itex]det(X) =(x^{0})^{2}-(x^{i})^{2}[/itex]

Is the Lorentz invariant distance, which means that every transformation which preserves this length is a Lorentz transformation. Now we can make such a transformation with 2x2 unimodular matrices like:

[itex]X' = AXA^{\dagger}[/itex]

Alright, I get all that. But how do you come to spinors now? What is missing?

Related to Explicitly Deriving Spinor Representations from Lorentz Group

1. What is the Lorentz group and why is it important in physics?

The Lorentz group is a mathematical group that describes the symmetries of space and time in special relativity. It is important in physics because it provides a framework for understanding the behavior of particles and fields in the presence of relativistic effects.

2. What are spinor representations and how do they relate to the Lorentz group?

Spinor representations are mathematical objects that describe the intrinsic angular momentum of particles, known as spin. They are related to the Lorentz group because the group's transformations affect the spin of particles, and spinors are used to represent these transformations.

3. How are spinor representations explicitly derived from the Lorentz group?

The process of deriving spinor representations from the Lorentz group involves using the group's generators, or mathematical objects that describe its transformations. By applying these generators to the spinors, we can determine how they transform under Lorentz transformations and thus derive the spinor representations.

4. What are some applications of spinor representations in physics?

Spinor representations have many applications in physics, particularly in the study of elementary particles and their interactions. They are used in quantum field theory, particle physics, and cosmology, among other fields.

5. Are there any challenges or limitations to using spinor representations in physics?

Spinor representations can be mathematically complex and difficult to visualize, which can make them challenging to work with. Additionally, they are limited in their ability to describe certain types of particles, such as particles with zero spin. However, they remain an important tool in understanding the behavior of particles in the context of relativity and quantum mechanics.