Exploring an Infinite Series: Pi/2?

In summary, the conversation involves discussing an infinite series on maple that sums to (Pi/2) and asking for its proof. The solution involves using the trick of partial fractions. Another option is suggested but not found and the conversation ends with expressing interest in other ways to obtain the series.
the dude man
Hey guys!

My friend showed me a infinite series on maple

infinity
---
\ ( ((n-1)^2) - (1/4) )^(-1) = (Pi/2)
/
---
n=1

Is anyone familar with this?
If so can you refer me to its proof? Or maybe post it.

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Hrm. Unless I made a mistake, that sums to 2. You meant

[tex]
\sum_{n = 1}^{+\infty} \frac{1}{ (n-1)^2 - \frac{1}{4}}
[/tex]

right? Anyways, the usual trick to these is to use partial fractions.

Sorry i think the (1/4) is positive

that should give (Pi/2)

yes/no?

Sorry here's the correct series

infinity
----
\ (((2*n-1)^2) - (1/4))^(-1)
/
----
n=1

Use partial fractions, as hinted already.

[tex] \frac{1}{\left(2n-1\right)^{2}-\frac{1}{4}}=2\left(\frac{1}{4n-3}-\frac{1}{4n-1}\right) [/tex]

Daniel.

That works but are there any other options?

Last edited:
Im interested in the ways you can obtain the series.

Related to Exploring an Infinite Series: Pi/2?

1. What is an infinite series?

An infinite series is a mathematical concept where the sum of an infinite number of terms is calculated. Each term in the series is added to the previous term, and the resulting sum is called the infinite series.

2. How is Pi/2 related to an infinite series?

The infinite series for Pi/2 is a specific representation of the mathematical constant, pi. It is derived from the Taylor series expansion for the trigonometric function, arctangent, and it converges to Pi/2 as the number of terms in the series approaches infinity.

3. Why is exploring an infinite series for Pi/2 important?

Exploring an infinite series for Pi/2 allows us to understand the properties and behavior of this mathematical constant. It also helps us to approximate the value of pi to a higher degree of accuracy by adding more terms to the series.

4. What is the significance of Pi/2 in mathematics?

Pi/2 has various applications in mathematics, including in trigonometry, geometry, and calculus. It is also an irrational number, meaning it cannot be expressed as a simple fraction, making it a fundamental concept in mathematics.

5. How is Pi/2 used in real-world applications?

Pi/2 is used in various real-world applications, such as in engineering, physics, and computer science. It is essential for calculations involving circles, ellipses, and other curved shapes. It also plays a crucial role in signal processing and data compression algorithms.